Hanna instruments testers

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone use the Hanna instruments testers for their calcium and alk? I've been using the API test kits since I got into the hobby about a year ago but recently decided to give the Hanna s a try . My alk test seems to b ok . It's pretty consistent as I check alk daily . But for some reason the calcium test is all over the place. For starts it's read over 100 ppm more than my API kit and it's really inconsistent . I've did several tests back to back , making sure to do then exactly the same , and it's still all over the place . Anyone else have this issue ?

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the ALK checker.make sure you put the filled vile into the checker when it is off get then turn it on for the c1 this zeros the checker then add the regent

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experiences with teh Hannah Meters they are very consistent and extremely accurate with the exception of the Calcium test. there are too many variables to produce consistency with them because they MUST use RO water to do this test.

with reference the the alkalinity, you turn the meter on, then put in the vial of straight tank water. pushing the button to go from C1 to C2 then calibrates it to zero. then addin the reagent and going to C3 for the test results.

OP
OP
CORAL JUNKY

CORAL JUNKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experiences with teh Hannah Meters they are very consistent and extremely accurate with the exception of the Calcium test. there are too many variables to produce consistency with them because they MUST use RO water to do this test.

with reference the the alkalinity, you turn the meter on, then put in the vial of straight tank water. pushing the button to go from C1 to C2 then calibrates it to zero. then addin the reagent and going to C3 for the test results.

That's the thing though . I am using RO water . The videos I watched on you tube , to make sure I was using it right , they were using "deionized water " . What or is there any difference between RO and deionized water ?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just stick with the API for calcium and alkalinity, they're good tests as long as you ditch the vial.

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the Hanna ALK and Phostphate are great but the Hanna Calcium is so awful. I ended up using other test kit for Calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the thing though . I am using RO water . The videos I watched on you tube , to make sure I was using it right , they were using "deionized water " . What or is there any difference between RO and deionized water ?

DI water is fine, and it probably what is really meant to be used (as in RO being short for RO/DI). RO only water is not really of any particular purity, depending on the starting tap water.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but what do u mean by "ditch the vial " ?

I bought a 5 ml syringe and use wider 10 ml vials that make it easier to swirl. Makes life a lot easier than dealing with the vials that come with the api kits, espeically if you're trying to use the cps that come with them.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back