pH: 7.7
Temp 77f
PO4: 0
NO3: 5ppm
Mg: 1400ppm
Ca: 485ppm
SG: 1.023
Alk: 177ppm

The pH usually sits at 7.8 because of a co2 problem with my sealed house (in south Florida). I hung the lid about 6 inches above the tank to make room for equipment in the sump. My favia looks happy and the tank overall seems ok. Did I increase the co2 in the water by taking off the lid? If so, what, if anything, should I do about this. I can't get any outside air to the tank because of where it is. I have a phosban reactor but not a skimmer. Any help would be appreciated! Would a skimmer help if only for oxygenating the water? I really don't need one for nutrients.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To a point a skimmer would help. Now, take this one step farther and plumb the air-intake of your skimmer to the outside, then you're talking. I would imagine you'd see some higher pH values.

Removing the lids will help for sure. Also, point a powerhead or return nozzle to get some movement on the surface of your water. That will help with the gas exchange.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth I have done what zesty suggested and it works for me. Gives me peace of mind.

Last edited:

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, watch out for the don't chase PH patrol ... duck!

For what it's worth I have done what zesty suggested and it works for me. Gives me peace of mind.

and yes! haha! I did duck...

To Jolt's point, don't try and get your pH to stay at 8.3 for 24/7. I think you're trying to generally increase it and for that, I can understand.

One other thing, you could add an airstone to your tank/sump. However, like you said, your house is sealed up, so unless your airpump is pumping from the outside, it's not going to be as effective, but I bet it does help a bit. The downside to an airstone, saltcreep anywhere near that airstone.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and yes! haha! I did duck...

To Jolt's point, don't try and get your pH to stay at 8.3 for 24/7. I think you're trying to generally increase it and for that, I can understand.

One other thing, you could add an airstone to your tank/sump. However, like you said, your house is sealed up, so unless your airpump is pumping from the outside, it's not going to be as effective, but I bet it does help a bit. The downside to an airstone, saltcreep anywhere near that airstone.

Thanks! Yes I know very well to not chase pH. I can put an airstone in the sump, or I could get a little skimmer. Since my numbers are ok, if not a little high, I certainly don't need to supplement anything. Like I said, I'm used to it running at 7.8, and I know consistency is more important than a specific number, but can my tank do ok at 7.7 if I know co2 is the problem? I'm restocking it after a crash last year. Right now the only coral I have is a favia, which looks fine to me. I just want to do all the tinkering I need to do before I put anything else in there.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pH has never ever been 8.3!![emoji4]

Mine has, but only on it's way up and then down. haha!
dBm8JNT.png

I do like your thoughts of checking this out before you have a packed tank! :nerd:

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has, but only on it's way up and then down. haha!
dBm8JNT.png

I do like your thoughts of checking this out before you have a packed tank! :nerd:

Totally. I added some other coral before the tank was stable and lost two frags. The favia seems happy so I'm going to wait until it starts to grow before I add anything else.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I put the airstone in the sump and pointed the return nozzle up a little to stir up the water. We'll see what happens.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I just retested with a liquid test and got about 7.7. I'm starting to think my new ph monitor is crummy. It's one of those generic handheld yellow ones. It calibrated fine in the calibrating solution. My coral looks fine so I'm starting to think this is a testing error.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aeration can make low pH worse if you home air has elevated CO2 in it.

Aside from fresher air, options include limewater and a CO2 scrubber on a skimmer inlet or air stone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aeration can make low pH worse if you home air has elevated CO2 in it.

Aside from fresher air, options include links water and a CO2 scrubber on a skimmer inlet or air stone.

What kind of co2 scrubber would work on a nano?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Randy is referring to limewater.

Isn't that too dangerous to use in a nano? Besides, doesn't it raise Alk too? My Alk is normal. I just saw a product by two little Fishies called cdx carbon dioxide adsorption system. Would that work?

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to fix this, I need another reactor with a co2 absorbent or adsorbent with a line to a skimmer? I'm running out of room in my little tank. And I'm starting to despair. I'm just having one problem after another. [emoji17]

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get some kalk tomorrow. What's the best way to dose it?

naecO rM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, also you can use a bicarbonate of soda ( not baking powder)
But to increase PH you have to put soda to a oven for 2 hours with 200-220 degrees Celsius.after that you can add 0.0025gr of soda per 100ltr to increase PH by 0.1
Do PH increasing slowly.
Kalkwasser is a good solution too to increase PH.
But also do it slowly.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back