all In One Test Kit

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a all in one test kit for reef aquariums or do I need two different ones? I am using the tetra easy strips very simple with no mixing.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a reef tank, at minimum you'll want these test kits:

Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Nitrate
Phosphate

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a reef tank, at minimum you'll want these test kits:

Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
Nitrate
Phosphate
Thank you for your reply, is there a kit with all of these elements or do I have to purchase multiple kits two accomplish this testing?

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest thing that I know of is the Red Sea kits. They have bundles, where one bundle has alk/ca/mag and another bundle will have your nitrate etc.

You will be saying goodbye to your strips...

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The closest thing that I know of is the Red Sea kits. They have bundles, where one bundle has alk/ca/mag and another bundle will have your nitrate etc.

You will be saying goodbye to your strips...
I was looking at the Red sea kit and you answered my question exactly. I was think I need to by two kits but want to be sure before incurring that expense. thank you again. I like the comment about the strips

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear! :wink: I think a lot of us come from the test strip time. As technology and techniques get better, so do some products and this is one of those areas. It's nice to see choices of kits! I use the read sea kits and those are my preferred choice, but it's so nice to have options!

enjoy!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also need to check for salinity and ph. I highly recommend a refractometer for salinity and a digital ph monitor for ph. Good luck!

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear! :wink: I think a lot of us come from the test strip time. As technology and techniques get better, so do some products and this is one of those areas. It's nice to see choices of kits! I use the read sea kits and those are my preferred choice, but it's so nice to have options!

enjoy!
I see a few in this blog use Red Sea products. I used to use the Red Sea salt on my other setups and decided to give the reef crystals a go, but I am going back to the Red Sea salt once I use up the reef crystals. Thank you again for your input it will go a long way. This tell you how long it has been sense my last tank, there were no reef blogs out there to ask question like this. You just played mr. chemist and blow thing and start all over again.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You also need to check for salinity and ph. I highly recommend a refractometer for salinity and a digital ph monitor for ph. Good luck!
Thank you. I have that covered. the refractometer is a pretty cool device to use.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most test kit packages have useless kits in them, such as nitrite, and even ammonia gets used rarely (except perhaps in a QT).

I'd generally look to the individual kits you really need from reliable brands for those particular kits. The mixed kit packages won't be cheaper in the long run, and you may not find a single brand that makes all kits that you think are reliable.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most test kit packages have useless kits in them, such as nitrite, and even ammonia gets used rarely (except perhaps in a QT).

I'd generally look to the individual kits you really need from reliable brands for those particular kits. The mixed kit packages won't be cheaper in the long run, and you may not find a single brand that makes all kits that you think are reliable.
agreed.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea and Salifert Tests are nice. Yes they are pricey at first but then you just buy the refills rather then a whole new kit when you run out of reagent.

JimWelsh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea and Salifert Tests are nice. Yes they are pricey at first but then you just buy the refills rather then a whole new kit when you run out of reagent.

Salifert sells reagent refills? News to me. Link?

Still, I'm not in any way arguing against Salifert test kits. I use them for Alk, Ca, Mg, and Nitrate.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use different brands for different tests through trial and error:

NO3, Mg and Ca: Salifert
Alk and Phosphates: Hanna Checkers

Salifert's great because it's easy to use, not too expensive and the change in water color is easy to read.

Hanna checkers are more expensive but for Alk and phosphates I think they're worth it. The original kit is about $45 I think, but the reagent refills are about $15, so once you have the Checker, the reagent refills are comparable to other test kits.

I used API for ammonia and nitrites during the cycle. I saw no point in buying expensive tests that I wouldn't use again before they expired. Some may disagree but this worked for me

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert sells reagent refills? News to me. Link?

Still, I'm not in any way arguing against Salifert test kits. I use them for Alk, Ca, Mg, and Nitrate.

no my bad I was talking about the Red Sea kits on the refill. Don't know why I said Salifert.

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use different brands for different tests through trial and error:

NO3, Mg and Ca: Salifert
Alk and Phosphates: Hanna Checkers

Salifert's great because it's easy to use, not too expensive and the change in water color is easy to read.

Hanna checkers are more expensive but for Alk and phosphates I think they're worth it. The original kit is about $45 I think, but the reagent refills are about $15, so once you have the Checker, the reagent refills are comparable to other test kits.

I used API for ammonia and nitrites during the cycle. I saw no point in buying expensive tests that I wouldn't use again before they expired. Some may disagree but this worked for me
Thank you, I put them into my wishlist

OP
OP
jsker

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the help

snoopie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no my bad I was talking about the Red Sea kits on the refill. Don't know why I said Salifert.
I use red sea as well never been happier. Also Adam where can I find the refills? Would guess marine depot but havnt had to look yet.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back