Triton Results - Lazylivin

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are results of the Triton Test. Hoping to get some input on some of the things that are out of range and I should be concerned about and ways to make corrections to.

Column labled Fresh RC Triton (hart24601) are the triton test results from a fresh mixed batch of Reef Crystals. Not my test results. I added to this test as I use Reef Crystals Salt and wanted to see where some of the elemnts came from and in what qty's. Thank you hart24601! His thread is here. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/re.../176536-reef-crystals-vs-esv-triton-test.html

My Triton Results are in column labeled My Tank Triton Results

The column labeled My Tank Salifert Results are what I tested using my Sailfert test kits on the day/time I pulled the water sample to send to Triton.

One thing to note is I use a significant amount of Bulk Reef Supply Alk and Calcium. 1 gallon of each every 6 days. I thought it note worthy as it may be contributing to some things that are out of range

tritontestr2r.png

Here is a pic of tank the results are from

FTS.jpg

Last edited:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, gorgeous tank! Nice job on the test result formatting, easy to read.

Detectable tin is interesting. You do use a lot of 2 part, over 1 gallon a week does seem like trace impurities would build up fast, curious what Mr Randy has to say on it. I know he has an article on 2 part impurities from his DIY but I don't think anything on BRS specifically.

OP
OP
Lazys Coral House

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Hart. I raised the potassium. The strontium should be here tomorrow from premium. I think Randy says not to be concerned with strontium so not sure if I should bother. Added some gfo for phosphates which are down to .02 now. Not sure if I should be concerned with other items and not sure how to bring them down without diluting other parameters. If anyone has suggestions please post. Thanks.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You ever run activated carbon on this system? I don't really know what all carbon can bind. I do use polyfilters every 6 months or so, but have switched that to metasorb. I am not 100% sure what all those can remove, or how low of concentration the polyfilter can remove since it's pre-treated, but I run them to keep anything from getting too high. I don't think any of those work for tin though.

Randy, would triton detox work here?

"Triton Detox is precisely this adsorption amplifier, consisting of extra pure humic acid, a large molecule that will actively take up and bind with free floating trace levels of heavy metals. After a few days of mixing in your tank water, you simply add activated carbon to remove the large humic acid molecules and you will have removed a good amount of the toxic heavy metals.

Read more: Triton Detox is an innovative way to remove trace heavy metals"

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I can't concentrate on the results because of the reef!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you Hart. I raised the potassium. The strontium should be here tomorrow from premium. I think Randy says not to be concerned with strontium so not sure if I should bother. Added some gfo for phosphates which are down to .02 now. Not sure if I should be concerned with other items and not sure how to bring them down without diluting other parameters. If anyone has suggestions please post. Thanks.

Do you have an updated tank thread that I can share on FB?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the aluminum is a bit elevated.

Do you use any alumina media or phosphate binders?

i don't know how to specifically remove tin.

Strontium can be low in a tank with lots of corals if water changes do not keep up and it isn't dosed, but I'm not presently convinced it is useful either.

I'm not sure I see anything requiring immediate action. :)

OP
OP
Lazys Coral House

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an updated tank thread that I can share on FB?

Thank you Rev :) This is the closely thing I have to a tank build here. But I can surely create one soon. https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-discussion/124234-evolution-reef.html

I see the aluminum is a bit elevated.

Do you use any alumina media or phosphate binders?

i don't know how to specifically remove tin.

Strontium can be low in a tank with lots of corals if water changes do not keep up and it isn't dosed, but I'm not presently convinced it is useful either.

I'm not sure I see anything requiring immediate action. :)

Thank you Randy & Hart, other then the dosing the big three I use GFO and Carbon. Both sourced from BRS. Sounds like I don't need to be to concerned and a few water changes should help keep things in check. I had stopped doing them due to to low nitrates. With those now detectable I will do a few to dilute the tin and other items that are a bit high.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would love that and thank you!

OP
OP
Lazys Coral House

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if the Ranco Temp Controller Probe is covered in Tin? I have one and wondering if that could be contributing. If so I can put heat shrink on it to reduce the amount that is exposed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is metal, I'd cover it somehow. I have my heat controller sensors inside of plastic tubing, even though they are supposed to be waterproof. I always found that faild after a while.

OP
OP
Lazys Coral House

Lazys Coral House

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in May 2015 I put a plastic bag around the Ranco Temperature Controller's Metal Probe. Not sure if that fixed my Tin issue but it is gone now. Aluminum is way down as well. Wonder what the probe is made of and if it had an effect on the results.

Here is latest Triton Results.

Triton.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back