Natural Phosphate solution

JDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately there has been more talk about increasing nutrients (Nitrate, Phosphate) with dosing. Understanding there are many ways to dial a system, I was thinking of a natural DIY additive for Phosphate.

Bone meal (hydroxyapatite Ca5(PO4)3(OH)) very insoluble, mixed with vinegar CH3COOH and water H2O, down the line will give us Calcium Dihydrogen Phosphate Ca(H2PO4)2 much more soluble. My question is, when this solution is added to an alkaline environment will it just snow out and go right back to bone meal?

Any thought?

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that phosphate dosing would be required in most tanks. There is so much of it in the food that goes into the tank, I can't imagine having to add even more.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can. My tank runs with 5 ppm nitrate but 0 phosphate (hanna meter). It happens. I have read posts from people with a lot higher nitrate amount but 0 phosphate. In situations like carbon dosing you need both present I believe to bring nitrates down.
I don't think that phosphate dosing would be required in most tanks. There is so much of it in the food that goes into the tank, I can't imagine having to add even more.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can. My tank runs with 5 ppm nitrate but 0 phosphate (hanna meter). It happens. I have read posts from people with a lot higher nitrate amount but 0 phosphate. In situations like carbon dosing you need both present I believe to bring nitrates down.

True, but I know I have some phosphates in my tank even when the Hanna reads zero because there's a little gha growing.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I know those meters can read zero because of the gha using up the available phosphates. But when you don't have gha you use it as a fairly reliable source. There is also the +/- margin of error even though it is very small on those meters. Been watching the updates on your tank glb, looks like your recovering quite well.
True, but I know I have some phosphates in my tank even when the Hanna reads zero because there's a little gha growing.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I know those meters can read zero because of the gha using up the available phosphates. But when you don't have gha you use it as a fairly reliable source. There is also the +/- margin of error even though it is very small on those meters. Been watching the updates on your tank glb, looks like your recovering quite well.

Thanks for the encouragement! I guess you're right. Once the gha is gone a zero reading is more accurate.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the encouragement! I guess you're right. Once the gha is gone a zero reading is more accurate.

Case in point, my gha is almost gone and the phosphates jumped up to .05, even after changing out my gfo. My guess is that's a truer reading now that there's less gha to feed on it. Thanks for the info.

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A local guy doses potassium nitrate and sodium nitrate to keep nitrates detectable, also took down his GFO so he could detect some P04. His tank is ok, you can read more about it here.
Reefkeeping Magazine - April 2015 Tank of the Month So, yes it's possible. This is one of the few sources I've heard of this happening, it certainly isn't the norm in what I read. I don't get to hang out with the likes of the tanks in that link very often...

So, back on topic. What are some good ways to do this? Peter only talks about dosing for Nitrates, not P04s.

fuzzone99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
Back