hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched a bit and couldn't find Randy's take on this:

Blue Life PHOS Fx | Blue Life

I didn't know there were any resins that could work in saltwater. They say recharge with brine solution, and a few reports on RC sound like people have been having success with it, but I am curious if anyone here has tried it and of course what Mr Randy thinks!

If it really works as advertised it would be nice to remove my BRS gfo reactor... Although I have been saving up a lot of gfo to recharge it so it might be a while down the road before I switch.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is just GFO trapped inside a polymer resin, not a resin binder itself. It might make regeneration easier without the GFO coming apart, but I've not tried it. There have been other brands which have tried this approach.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy! So can regular gfo be recharged with brine too? Is it even possible for a resin to bind phosphate in saltwater? I will ask them if it's coated gfo and see if I get a reply. Any other way to check short of buying some and cutting it open?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Organic polymer resins won't bind appreciable phosphate in seawater. I co-invented the most effective resin at binding phosphate in the GI tract of humans (sevelamer) which is widely used as a medication. When I tried to see if it bound much phosphate from seawater, it did not, presumably due to too much competition from chloride and sulfate.

I googled a picture of the material mentioned above, and the material is clearly brown. A poly resin is white or clear. It is almost certainly brown from encapsulated GFO. Other companies have sold that, such as Polyplabs. But saying the material is really GFO in a matrix doesn't sound as inventive as a new polymer resin. :lol:

Yes, GFO can be recharged, typically using sodium hydroxide (lye). Search on recharging GFO to find various recipe/procedures.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I had not seen that photo. I vaguely remembered you talking about seawater and resin before and it not working well, but couldn't remember the details.

Thanks for the info and taking the time to answer, reef keeping is so lucky to have you in this hobby!!!! I think I would be more star struck to meet you than any actor, but that just shows what a reef tank dork I am.

I was hoping this stuff would be a new amazing thing that had just somehow escaped your attention.

I have performed recharge of gfo with lye, but didn't realize the brine was a similar concept.

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you expect these coated particles to hold up better during recharging and tumbling in a reactor? I do get some iron dust released in my sump over time, I wonder if this product would not do that.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you expect these coated particles to hold up better during recharging and tumbling in a reactor? I do get some iron dust released in my sump over time, I wonder if this product would not do that.
According to Ariel at blue life, the iron is trapped inside the resin and cannot be released. That said you have to make sure the resin does not escape your reactor. I'm going to try some in a media bag inside my brs reactor.
Hope that helps,
Paul

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Ariel at blue life, the iron is trapped inside the resin and cannot be released. That said you have to make sure the resin does not escape your reactor. I'm going to try some in a media bag inside my brs reactor.
Hope that helps,
Paul

FWIW, no resin can trap iron atoms and let only phosphate in. I've tried that with many atoms, including iron, zinc, and magnesium, using a large team of expert polymer chemists and a big industrial budget.

This resin may not let out larger particles, however, and that may be useful. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, that is a likely advantage. :)

OP
OP
hart24601

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy! I am not sold on this to replace the BRS HC stuff I use now, but it's nice to know it's out there and what exactly it is.

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, no resin can trap iron atoms and let only phosphate in. I've tried that with many atoms, including iron, zinc, and magnesium, using a large team of expert polymer chemists and a big industrial budget.

This resin may not let out larger particles, however, and that may be useful. :)

Thanks for the info Randy!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back