Topoff with saltwater to raise salinity?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to slowly raise salinity by doing this? I use kalk in distilled water so the SG creeps down. Could I do it say every other day? I'm just curious.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an issue if your top off lowers your salinity. It should keep it constant

The kalk is dosed separately than the topoff water. My tank is too small to dose kalk continuously. I agree with you that the salinity should stay the same. I'm also trying to raise it to 1.025-6 from -1.022-3 because I have some SPS now.

Adam Baggett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it this way but you must be careful as you do it. I looked but could not find a YouTube video of someone that did this very well. Basically he used a tank controller with a salinity probe, the controller controlled the ATO and depending on how salty the water was it drew from either salt or fresh water and it kept his salt level perfectly stable. If I find the YouTube video I will post the link as I have been thinking of doing this with my Apex.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your saying kalk is lowering your SG?? I don't think so.
But that being said, yes, I do this all the time to raise my SG back to normal ranges when it gets low. I just put in an overdosed top off to raise it up.

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this can be done but make sure you make your saltwater the level you want to achieve and do it slowly. If not, your levels will become crazy high and may affect your SPS. I've learned this from personal experience, lol

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk is dripped with ro which is lowering his sg
Only if he's overflowing his tank. Salt does not evaporate. The top off can only deliver so much water. Skimmer removal or heavy wet skimming, or leaks would be the only things that would lower the SG.

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His top off is separate from his kalk drip so you have top off adding ro to a certain point which would normally make is stable. But he has a separate system dosing ro with kalk which is not related to water level. So you are adding more ro than evaporation can handle

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His top off is separate from his kalk drip so you have top off adding ro to a certain point which would normally make is stable. But he has a separate system dosing ro with kalk which is not related to water level. So you are adding more ro than evaporation can handle
Then where did the water go that didn't evaporate? The tank would overflow if you put more topoff, dosing elements or whatever you put in there than what evaporates.

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be a mystery haha...maybe he dumps it. Or maybe he doesn't realize his kalk system isnt putting as much ro in as he thinks...we need a tank size and kalk rate...if its like an eight gallon I can imagine its a problem. If its like a forty breeder I don't think its an issue

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After thinking about it for a minute I thought of something. I would be checking for a leak somewhere. I could see a small leak that's not very noticeable, like a drip, causing this.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. It's not a leak. I do have wet skimmate so that could be part of it. I don't drip the kalk. I dose it when my Alk goes down only. I add a third cup which raises the kh by .2, but not every day. My tank is a 12g, which makes it more of an issue. Right now I'd say I add kalk maybe every 2-3 days. I measure Alk daily and that small of kalk amount keeps it pretty stable. My guess is I'm diluting the water by adding more topoff than needed. The skimmate water really should be replaced with SW the way I see it. Also there's the plan to gradually raise the SG to 1.025-6 for the SPS. I know gradually is the operative word. I know my kalk isn't lowering the SG per se. I'm thinking I'm not accounting for the kalk as part of my topoff water (meaning it's RO too)

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps - I'm actually a chick, not a dude. This always cracks me up and it happens all the time.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps - I'm actually a chick, not a dude. This always cracks me up and it happens all the time.
I think this is the third time this week I have gotten a laugh out of this.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just try mixing your water changes a bit strong. So make the wc up to be .27. So every wc you would be compensating for the saltwater loss from skimming or creep. I lose some SG every 6 months or so but not very often and that's all I do is mix a water change a little fat!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back