Ca reactor & Kalk Reactor

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious how many here use a Kalk reactor in addition to their Ca reactor.
I incorporated one on my system but pulled it off line after troubles. Its rather long story but short version, I had it being controlled (dosing times) by my APEX, and even at a single drip every 2 seconds or so, it was adding more water to my sump than was evaporating.

I added it merely to compliment the Ca reactor, as I read that was the best of both worlds.

I have PH around 8.10 at the peak of the light schedule and lows of 7.85. I have had these levels for nearly 16 months and my tanks is very healthy and growing corals very well too.
My tank is about 85% SPS.

Anyway just curious how many, if any, are doing both?

Questions to follow once I see the replies.

Thanks everyone

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started haveing all of my top off water run from my ro/di thru a kalk reactor. That way all of my top off water is saturated. I have a very large calcium reactor which I only run when lights come on. With the heavy top off water, it keeps my ph stable at around 8.3.
I used to only run my calcium reactor, but once I added the kalk reactor my sps took off.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brad, thanks for chiming in, I think we have chatted on this before, I'm a litle unsure-to many forums-

What I had done as of 2 weeks ago but stopped, was running my Kalk reactor off of a 2nd ph probe in the sump AND a timer both being controlled through the APEX.
The timed schedule was when the MH lights were off but it would only open a solenoid to dose if the PH was below 8.05 and shut off at 8.10. If I targeted a higher PH it would add way to much water..

Do you have your Ca reactor running off of a controller or just a timer?

What I found in the short time I had both running was that my KH shot up from 10 to like almost 13, over the course of like 4 days, gradual increases, it raised my Ca level from 420 to 500 again over around 4 days.

I made adjustments to the controller so the Ca reactor solenoid would open at a higher PH (the effluent that is) so I was not dosing as high (or dissolving media) as when I was only using just the Ca reactor.

The controller was set before to open the solenoid at 6.6 and close at 6.5 (effluent). I raised those values to 7.10 and 7.00 respectively. I friend said at those high of PH values the Co2 wont dissolve any media, but my Ca and KH both increased to those high levels I mentioned above, he said that cant be. I understand that the media dissolves around 6.5-6.8

Sorry for bouncing around, my biggest fear to adding my Kalk reactor into my RO/DI as the top off is the float sticking and it dumping the entire Kalk reactors contents. I can add a second float and program it as a shut off if the water reaches a certain level in my sump.

I'm trying to see how many people use both, and in which manner. That friend I was talking about uses his with his Ca reactor but drips 24/7 and his PH is stable and it does not add my water than evaporates-Mine situation is different.

Sadly during this "enhancement" to my tank, I lost a nice little colony of my 30K Lokani-very frustrating.

Presently all my lights are off and my PH is 7.71, yesterdays high was 8.09.

??? why was your kalk reactor constantly dripping? how was it set up?

Does how I posted things were set up above help??? I ended up going the way I listed above, initially I was dripping every 2-3 seconds 24/7 to try and maintain 8.2 PH

Last edited:

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both also. I have my ATO hooked up to my kalkreactor. So all my top off water is saturated lime water. My ATO kicks on after my system evap about 3-4 gallons and it take my ATO about 30-45 minutes to top off with with lime water. I use to drip it as you did but found out I would either over drip or underdrip. so I went with my current set up and never looked back. It keeps my levels pretty constant and I am also 85% SPS in my 350g system.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both. I have my Ca reactor on a controller and my DIY kalk reactor just on a timer with an aqualifter pump to run about an hour total after 2am. It comes on for a half hour at 2am and at 4am.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both also. I have my ATO hooked up to my kalkreactor. So all my top off water is saturated lime water. My ATO kicks on after my system evap about 3-4 gallons and it take my ATO about 30-45 minutes to top off with with lime water. I use to drip it as you did but found out I would either over drip or underdrip. so I went with my current set up and never looked back. It keeps my levels pretty constant and I am also 85% SPS in my 350g system.

I can incorporate the Kalk reactor into my RO/DI top off. Presently it is gravity fed top off. I have a 35 gallon res that gets filled w/ RO/DI and that has a line that goes into my sump controlled by a float so my water level is always exact. I could have that line run through the Klak reactor as the top off, again fearful of the float sticking, which I can incorporate a second float to close the top off in needed.

So you also run a Ca reactor, is that on a controller or how is that configured?

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for bouncing around, my biggest fear to adding my Kalk reactor into my RO/DI as the top off is the float sticking and it dumping the entire Kalk reactors contents. I can add a second float and program it as a shut off if the water reaches a certain level in my sump.

That is why I don't like to use ATO that uses a float switch. I use the Tsunami ATO. It uses some type of air sensor. So no clogging, sticking float switches. Once the water level dips below the the sensor then air enters the airline and turns on the pump.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both. I have my Ca reactor on a controller and my DIY kalk reactor just on a timer with an aqualifter pump to run about an an hour total after 2am. It comes on for a half hour at 2am and at 4am.

What params or set points do you have the Ca reactor set at?

so you "dose for 30 mins at 2 and 4 am? How much are you dosing, and what params are you seeing, PH mainly.

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can incorporate the Kalk reactor into my RO/DI top off. Presently it is gravity fed top off. I have a 35 gallon res that gets filled w/ RO/DI and that has a line that goes into my sump controlled by a float so my water level is always exact. I could have that line run through the Klak reactor as the top off, again fearful of the float sticking, which I can incorporate a second float to close the top off in needed.

So you also run a Ca reactor, is that on a controller or how is that configured?

My CaRx is on a seperate controller. I have my values to turn my Co2 on at 6.7 and off at 6.5

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why I don't like to use ATO that uses a float switch. I use the Tsunami ATO. It uses some type of air sensor. So no clogging, sticking float switches. Once the water level dips below the the sensor then air enters the airline and turns on the pump.

You say float switch, just to make sure I did not describe it right, I have a float only in my sump, as the water goes down the float drops, the gravity from the RO/DI res adds water until the float raises- no switch-sorry about that.

So do you find that the Kalk reactor is adding to the Ca and KH levels, that friend who I was asking was saying at the volume I was adding it should not be increasing those levels at all, but I jumped to a KH of like 13+ and Ca to 500-So it HAD to be adding both

Does that make sense-man I wish I know how to type "fast"

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CaRx is on a seperate controller. I have my values to turn my Co2 on at 6.7 and off at 6.5

How are your levels for the Ca and KH, and what swings if any are you seeing in your PH-again keeping that from those big swings is my goal?

And how often do you stir your reactor?

I have an APEX controller so my options for programming are not limited.

I just don't want to bounce all over the place with my Ca and Kh, but I would like to keep my PH swings a little more in check.

I thought about doing a second cylinder that the effluent from my CaRx flowed into, and in that cylinder I would have an air stone to oxygenate the water before it ran back into the sump-I just need to release some of the Co2. Another thread perhaps but I thought of that last night

THANKS to all who are replying!!!!!!

Last edited:

roscoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say float switch, just to make sure I did not describe it right, I have a float only in my sump, as the water goes down the float drops, the gravity from the RO/DI res adds water until the float raises- no switch-sorry about that.

So do you find that the Kalk reactor is adding to the Ca and KH levels, that friend who I was asking was saying at the volume I was adding it should not be increasing those levels at all, but I jumped to a KH of like 13+ and Ca to 500-So it HAD to be adding both

Does that make sense-man I wish I know how to type "fast"

Well it is hard to say as I hate to test. I test my water once every 3-4 months if that. I let my corals tell me how my water parameters are. if they look good i don't bother testing. With that said I did run a test a couple weeks ago and my parameters were like this in the evening. PH was 8.3 , CA was 450 and Alk was at 9. I get these numbers every single time I test and it is far in between test so I would say with my system the parameters are pretty consistant.

Oh yeah I also let my CaRx line drip right in front of my skimmer intake. This aids in CO2 removal and thus helps keep your PH from dipping too much.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it is hard to say as I hate to test. I test my water once every 3-4 months if that. I let my corals tell me how my water parameters are. if they look good i don't bother testing. With that said I did run a test a couple weeks ago and my parameters were like this in the evening. PH was 8.3 , CA was 450 and Alk was at 9. I get these numbers every single time I test and it is far in between test so I would say with my system the parameters are pretty consistant.

Oh yeah I also let my CaRx line drip right in front of my skimmer intake. This aids in CO2 removal.

No I hear you on the testing-ONCE I get things dialed, I still test weekly for piece of mind but I agree,I can tell from looking at my corals-My Green Leather tells me when things are not right. I wonder what your PH is during its low point while your lights are out??

Inerested if Paul pops back in to answer this;

I use both. I have my Ca reactor on a controller and my DIY kalk reactor just on a timer with an aqualifter pump to run about an an hour total after 2am. It comes on for a half hour at 2am and at 4am.

so you "dose for 30 mins at 2 and 4 am? How much are you dosing, and what params are you seeing, PH mainly.

Thanks again- Its helpful- I may try to get this thing back online-but I need a little more info.

I would think if I use the Kalk Rx as my top off, and having the CaRx that I will need to adjust the values on my CaRx but you have yours set at 6.7-6.5 and are using the Kalk as top off so that shoots holes in that therory???

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ca reactor - controller at 6.6, bubble counter at 1/sec, effluent at just below a steady stream.

kalk reactor - it has a 2 gal vol and I put a cup of kalk in every month. It mixes 2x per day for 5 minutes. my ph is 7.9 at night and 8.2 during the day.

OP
OP
Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Paul-

I think I'll look for what the positives having a second chamber for the CaRx are. I know I f have seen them, not sure if any one has one-LOL

I would think the air stone in a sealed cylinder as I described would help the Co2 dissipate????????

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Paul-

I think I'll look for what the positives having a second chamber for the CaRx are. I know I f have seen them, not sure if any one has one-LOL

I would think the air stone in a sealed cylinder as I described would help the Co2 dissipate????????

Honestly when I do my upgrade to my 220 and break the Ca reactor down I will add a second chamber on it. It will bring the ph back up some with the additional media plus I want to add Magnesium media by Brightwell or Zeo so I don't have to dose it.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back