BRS 2-part

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who here uses Bulk reef Supply's 2 part dosing kit? How do you like it? Would you recommend this to others? If not, what would you recommend over this? If you don't use the BRS 2-part, what do you use?

I am looking for an easy 2-part that doesn't require much mixing and measuring.

BRS 2 Part Calc and Alk Total Package

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it and love it!!
I found it too difficult to dial in the calcium reactor. I also use the Drews dosers to dose it. I can make a little longer reply once my daughter stops pulling my leg to see what she wants.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Demonic. Have used it for about 2 years now and love it! I dose mine via Litermeter III to make it easier. I use the 1g jugs they sell to mix up the solution. Takes about 5 minutes to mixup - very easy and keeps things rock solid for me. I would highly recommend it : )

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to snag a bubble magus doser later on to dose for me. How did you decide how much to dose daily? Do you have to dose the same amount of each part or just what is needed?

I need some really dumbed down instructions for daily dosing.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you will need to start testing to see what your levels (cal, alk, mag) are at. Test one day, and the next day to see how much your tank uses each day. I believe there is a calculator on their site to enter your water volume and it will tell you how much to add. You can add this by hand until you get tired of it and then decide its time to get a doser. Also dont add too much at one time, try to dose in intervals throughout the day. Sorry if its hard to explain, on mediacation right now. :tongue:

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you will need to start testing to see what your levels (cal, alk, mag) are at. Test one day, and the next day to see how much your tank uses each day. I believe there is a calculator on their site to enter your water volume and it will tell you how much to add. You can add this by hand until you get tired of it and then decide its time to get a doser. Also dont add too much at one time, try to dose in intervals throughout the day. Sorry if its hard to explain, on mediacation right now. :tongue:

Every little bit helps. I saw on their site that they had a calculation section.

I am asuming that in order to dose daily without testing and using the calculation i will need to test at 8am then again 24 hours later at 8am. Repeat every day for a week. Add up the difference per day. Divide by 7 to get a good estimate of daily uptake. Say my average uptake per day is .5 dkh and I want to keep my dkh at 10. I enter current dkh as 9.5 and wanted dkh of 10. Whatever it tells me is my daily dose?

Do I need to dose the same amount of Cal and Alk each day or just whatever the actual need is? I am kinda confused.

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use for it a couple years now and really like it.
It is cheap and easy to mix.
As mentioned above test the water and calculate on their website how much you need to get to the desired level. Next day test again and see how much you "lost" Dose again and keep going this routine for a week or so until you are really sure how much to dose. Of course if you start stocking your tank again you might have to adjust the dosing again.
I like to spread out the dosing over the day and use the Bubble Magus dosing pump. Works reliable.
If you are short on space in the cabinet get the BRS space saving jugs...

web.jpg

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every little bit helps. I saw on their site that they had a calculation section.

I am asuming that in order to dose daily without testing and using the calculation i will need to test at 8am then again 24 hours later at 8am. Repeat every day for a week. Add up the difference per day. Divide by 7 to get a good estimate of daily uptake. Say my average uptake per day is .5 dkh and I want to keep my dkh at 10. I enter current dkh as 9.5 and wanted dkh of 10. Whatever it tells me is my daily dose?

Do I need to dose the same amount of Cal and Alk each day or just whatever the actual need is? I am kinda confused.

Lets say you ALk is 8 and you want to have it at 9. Calculate how much you need to get it to 9. Next day see where your level is. If it dropped to 8.5 calculate again how much you need to bring it back to 9. Now if the next day the level is still 9 you know now how much you have to dose to keep the 9. I would recommend to keep testing for a week to be sure.

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets say you ALk is 8 and you want to have it at 9. Calculate how much you need to get it to 9. Next day see where your level is. If it dropped to 8.5 calculate again how much you need to bring it back to 9. Now if the next day the level is still 9 you know now how much you have to dose to keep the 9. I would recommend to keep testing for a week to be sure.

Ok, I think I get it now. How do you decide how much magnesium to add daily? Same process?

MAXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I think I get it now. How do you decide how much magnesium to add daily? Same process?

Your Magnesium levels won't drop as quick as Alk and Calcium and some people even only dose once a week or so. If you have a doser and want to take full advantage of it you can test of course the same way as with the others and dose accordingly.

Demonic

Love Change
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Magnesium levels won't drop as quick as Alk and Calcium and some people even only dose once a week or so. If you have a doser and want to take full advantage of it you can test of course the same way as with the others and dose accordingly.

Very True, that being said, if you do buy dosers then you will only really need two. A triple doser is nice, but not necessary. Well unless you start to have a bryopsis outbreak then you might need it. HAHA

OP
OP
X

xmetalfan99

Let's Go Mountaineers!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to go with the bubble magus doser just because it seems really simple especially with everything built in. So I might as well use all three pumps.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the BRS 2 part (& mag) for about a year on BRS dosers and I've had good results.

Back