Brown/Stringy Algae Problem... attaching to corals. What is it? What do I do?

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

My saltwater system has been running a little over a year now. I did upgrade to a new tank about 2 weeks ago and used new sand, but kept majority of the old water and used all of the old live rock. As of the past couple weeks I have been having a bit of a stringy brown algae problem... it seems to affect the corals mostly, it seems like it attaches to the corals and definitely seems to keep polyps from extending, some more than others. My leathers and softies seem to be the worst affected by it, my leathers haven't opened fully/happily in a while.

I did a 30% water change 2 days ago hoping to help it and I have also done a blackout for 2 days this past week. Since the blackout I have very slowly kicked my T5's back on, I ran 2 actinics for 2 days for about 4 hours a day, I have just started running 3 additional actinics plus 1 12k daylight bulb as of today.

My parameters:
PH: 8.2
Phosphates <0.03
Ammonia & Nitrites = 0
Nitrates - Undetectable
Calcium 400
Alkalinity 9
Magnesium 1100ish (working on bringing this up)

I am running a GFO reactor with high capacity gfo with a BRS reactor. I have a 250 gallon rated reef octopus protein skimmer. I have 2 filter socks catching junk from my overflow. If I forgot any params, let me know and I will post them. Pic posted below to show what I am dealing with.

Please help me solve this problem. I think it may be affecting the well-being of my corals and I don't think it's diatoms.

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 clams and a bunch of SPS and LPS and soft corals... would it be bad if I blacked out my tank for a week? During the 2 days that I did the black out it seemed to help a lot.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 clams and a bunch of SPS and LPS and soft corals... would it be bad if I blacked out my tank for a week? During the 2 days that I did the black out it seemed to help a lot.

The few times Ive dealt with it I got rid of it with high PH. Its pretty common thing to deal with in the spring when the temps in your house start to go up but normally only in newer setup tanks. Lights out for a week wouldnt be a good idea but you could do 2 off 1 on then 2 off again I dont think you would have a problem doing that

olesalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i fought this same problem. Even with the black out periods it would come back as soon as i turned the lights back on for any length of time. I changed my ro system to one with spectapure silcabuster and it disappeared and havent seen it since.. So i assume i had silicates in my water that my ro unit wasnt taking out.

OP
OP
dturner

dturner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the helpful posts everyone, it's greatly appreciated. I think I am going to try the kalkwasser/high PH method first as that has seemed to work for people. Luckily I have caught it in its earlier stages so hopefully I stand a fighting chance.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back