Reef genesis vs genesis pro

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current lighting system is fine and really should have a couple more useful years in it, but I was just thinking it was time for a change, maybe...
I've been checking out your new releases and they look pretty cool

My current fixture is a 48 led array of rb and cw 3:2 that I built with supplies I got from you 4 years ago, that I recently upgraded with clarcio ripple wides
The genesis pro fixture would basically match what I have except it has the controller and some neutral blues

I was thinking though that I would like to add some cri with some other colored LEDs like some warm whites, neutral blues, or greens
The reef genesis light is kinda what I was thinking about

I'm a bit undecided at this time

I know its a hugely debated topic, but now there should be a lot more actual "on tank use" for longer periods of time on the debate over colored LEDs

How long have you tested the reef genesis series on an actual tank?
Has testing this colored led fixture changed your mind any about their usefulness?
The genisis pro series seems to match what I thought was your philosophy much closer than the reef genisis series does, so I'm a bit curious about how/why you came up with this led combination?

TrPPnN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Response Without Posting Glitch

We developed this CRI:ReefGenesis 3 as a hands down replacement for ANY light out there on the market today...
Any color rendition, any spectral wave pattern that you would like to emulate from a 250W+ Metal Halide to a bank of T5 HO actinic bulbs, you would be able to duplicate.... MINUS the heat... with added 256 step controllability.

The CRI:ReefGenesis 3 has more than enough 450nm Blues and Cool Whites to grow even the most stubborn of coral... Just as the Reef Genesis Pro... However, having only whites and blues without hue adjustment, that many people crave to have control over for their display tank, is what this CRI and Coral Grow fixture is all about.

Once the Primary channels of cool whites and royal blues are set for explosive coral growth, the 7 CRI chip arrangements would then allow for color tuning to make any and all colors pop even if they are not being utilized by the zooxanthella. Imagine setting your primary growth lighting with the ability to adjust an orange red/rose color of the sunset in the Bahamas... or the sunrise of the Fiji islands with a hint of lavender and blue...

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its a hugely debated topic, but now there should be a lot more actual "on tank use" for longer periods of time on the debate over colored LEDs

How long have you tested the reef genesis series on an actual tank?
Has testing this colored led fixture changed your mind any about their usefulness?
The genisis pro series seems to match what I thought was your philosophy much closer than the reef genisis series does, so I'm a bit curious about how/why you came up with this led combination?

Yes its hotly a debated topic by hobbyist but there is consensus in the scientific community that corals grow with primarily the 410-470nm range.

-On my personal 570 mixed I've been using the Reef Genesis Professional board for well over two years with great results.

-The "CRI" Reef Reef Genesis 3 uses the same Primary LEDs and 410-410nm UV. The 7 CRI LEDs allow the user complete control over looks. Personally I like the natural look of the Reef at 10 meters. Others like the look of a Shallow Lagoon. Adding the CRI LEDs are useful as you can optimize the looks of your reef to suit your taste.

-Our Design Philosophy is the collective ingenuity and inventiveness of our design team.
--Focus on Grow. 36 Primary Grow LEDs
--Offer Complete Colour Tuning. 7 CRI LEDs
--Optimize wave interaction and blending with no "Disco Effect". LED arrangement and quantity
--Offer a better light than our competitors. Latest Binned LEDs for Spectrum and performance with spacing optimized for the Carclo Optics.
--Compatible with our current Controller and Future Controller.

Overall I'm very pleased with the results as they speak for themselves.

Cheers

Bill

OP
OP
johnanddawn

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question than - why did you not include some hyper violets in the new genesis pro 3 to hit the lower 400's spectrum? And a few deep reds to hit the upper 600's?
I think if you had just added maybe 8 HV to hit the lower spectrum and 4 reds to hit the upper end this would have been exactly what I was looking for

I like what you guys are doing and thinking, your quality of materials and American based construction is awesome

How long do we have on the pre sale intro price? I'm really interested but not sold yet on which of the two new designs I like better

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question than - why did you not include some hyper violets in the new genesis pro 3 to hit the lower 400's spectrum? And a few deep reds to hit the upper 600's?
I think if you had just added maybe 8 HV to hit the lower spectrum and 4 reds to hit the upper end this would have been exactly what I was looking for

I like what you guys are doing and thinking, your quality of materials and American based construction is awesome

How long do we have on the pre sale intro price? I'm really interested but not sold yet on which of the two new designs I like better

We Did on the CRI Genesis 3. We left them out of the Professional because we wanted the best Coral Grow Light per watt. Overall you do not need the UV and Reds to grow coral but having them with the right controller gives you the flexibility to optimize the display looks.

The CRI Reef Genesis 3 has the following

CH1 12 Cree XT-E Royal Blue
CH2 4 Cree XT-E Cool White & 2 XT-E Warm White
CH3 6 Semi 410-420nm UV/HV
CH4 7 Cree XP-E2 Blue
CH5 2 Luxion Z 660nm & 7 Cree XP-E2 630nm Red
CH6 7 Cree XP-E2 Green

We went with 6 HV as we only accepted the top intensity Bins.

The Reds and Greens we expect will be run at 5-30% depending on personal preference. But one could run the RGB close to 100% for a high noon effect.

Complete Control...

The Genesis 3 will also be upgradable to the Genesis 4 controller which will be touch screen and or online.

This will have each LED type on its own separate channel and easy intelligent control. Along with PH, Temp ORP ect.

The Intro Price ends when we start shipping. Our Boards are due mid July, shipping should start a week later. If we start shipping sooner the Intro Price will end sooner.

Bill

Last edited:

TrPPnN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend one Reef Genesis Pro in the middle for full PAR growth and two CRI Reef Genesis 3's on either side to allow for color control renditioning...

OP
OP
johnanddawn

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that would be a sweat combo, but I couldn't afford that

I think I'm either going to go with the pro, or just keep playing with my DIY build and add some new LEDs to see what happens
8 NB, 4 WW, and 8 HV would be kinda cool added to my current system

Hmmm

Seems like I have about a month to decide

Thanks for the replies

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back