revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Child Proofing Your Aquarium
By R2R member cdness

As aquarists we all take great pride in the tanks that are in our care. Many of us also have small children who share in the enjoyment that a reef tank can bring. The aquarium can have a soothing effect on children and can spark their interest into things that may not be something they would have a chance to interact with where they live.

With this in mind there are also some things with the aquarium that can be dangerous to small children like electricity, plumbing and chemicals. Even with those cute innocent eyes, our children can also unknowingly harm the inhabitants of the aquarium. This article will describe a few ways to protect our children and our tanks from potential harm.

Notice: No children were harmed in the writing of this article.

Cabinet Doors

Many of our aquarium stands come with cabinet doors on the front. With all of the equipment stored under there, this can become a very interesting place to a toddler with all the noises, lights and toys to play with. Fortunately there is are easy ways to secure the doors so a toddler cannot get access to the equipment. First a strong latch can be installed. This can either be a mechanical clip or a strong magnetic latch. As a secondary to the latch, the standard child proofing items can be used, just like in the kitchen. Install the clips and the levers and you are set.

doors.jpg

Wiring

Wiring and electricity can be very dangerous to children. I have seen pictures of different tanks, mine included, where wires are accessible by a toddler or small child. These wires can easily be pulled on, unplugged, or shorted out depending on the cables. The best way to control this is to make sure all wires are behind the tank. If this is not possible, use wire loom and zip ties or wire nails to secure the wires to the stand, wall, or other object to prevent them from getting pulled on. Cover any exposed outlets as well to make sure nothing can get placed into them.
wiring.gif

Plumbing

This one should be common sense, or at least I thought it was. If all of the plumbing is behind the tank, no one can get in to reach it right? I thought this was true until I saw that my 10 month old had found out how to remove the tube from my ATO container and was playing with it. I knew she was seconds away from it ending up in her mouth. Make sure all plumbing is blocked in some way because toddlers are smaller and can seem to get themselves into small spaces. Attach the plumbing to the solid parts of the stand with strapping or the pipe saddles. Make sure it is braced so no leverage can be placed on the pipe which can damage the glass of the tank.

plumbing.jpg

Chemicals

The majority of the chemicals we use in our reefs would be considered toxic to young children, which is why they must be secured. Make sure they are high up and out of reach, or behind a child proofed door (see above) so they cannot be ingested. I know with my 10 month old everything seems to make it to the mouth at some point, so assume it will and look around to make sure nothing is within reach.
chemicals.jpg

Spills

Spills happen, there is no way around them sometimes. This includes massive spills down to the dripping of water off your hands and arms when you are working in the tank. Since a toddler spends most of their time on the floor, you want to try prevent the spills from contaminating the floor. Place a towel down at the base of the tank to catch the drips. If you do have a spill, use a good carpet cleaner to clean it up right away. If there is some dripping on the stand, wipe it down with a disinfectant wipe after working in the tank. If the spills are larger a shopvac can be used to clean up the majority of the water, then follow up with a towel and spray.
spills.jpg

Protecting the Tank

Little ones can unknowingly be destructive at times in the drive to have fun. Smashing your cell phone on the floor, pulling your food off the table, tipping over planters, etc are all common things that just happen. When you add an aquarium into the scenario there are a few other issues that can be prevented by the steps described above. Those issues would include the unplugging of the return pump, ATO pipe out of the sump, penny in the aquarium, random toys in the aquarium, and the addition of juice so the fish can drink... All of these can affect the inhabitants of the aquarium. So in protecting your children you are also protecting your fish and corals.

nemo.jpg

Conclusion

This article describes a few different ways to child-proof the aquarium which will protect both child and fish alike. By keeping both safe you will provide the enjoyable environment for your youngster to watch the fish for years to come.

** Note: Images included do not represent support of a particular brand or product. Please research the best solution for your situation. If there is an issue with any image, please let me know and I will remove on request.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please share your child proofing tips!

Pumbooris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had to build a taller stand and an enclosed canopy for my 55 because i would come home from work and find everything floating or sunk in the tank(loose change,ninja turtles, you name it) :banghead:

nivram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect timing as I need to childproof our house and aquariums.

For my stand I was looking at using the magnetic locks or the plastic catch type of device on the doors.

Last edited:

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time is getting near for me to worry about this... my son is only 3.5 months old right now, but I know he'll be getting into everything in no time. I'm far from ready for that adventure, but thanks for the tips to get me started!

JSB

Usually Confused
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not having children might be the best approach, or starting reef keeping after they are grown and you can once again afford it. ;-)

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My baby will be turning 2 in January. When I am on a chair doing work in the tank she is right under my feet watching everything I do. If I miss something she points at what I missed so she knows what I am doing. She even lets out a loud "EEEWWW" when there is algae or a fish poops in the tank. It is really pretty cute.

She likes to watch me frag corals from her high chair and just loves to watch the bubbles in the sump and skimmer. She will also sit and stare at the fish and I have her pointing at the fish, crabs, and corals, sometimes by name.

Having the kids around makes the hobby much more enjoyable. They do add a little more caution, but let them be involved and interact with the tank. Just make sure anything that can hurt them is protected and take the needed precautions so the child and tank inhabitants are all taken care of.

planereefer

Reefin' Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not having children might be the best approach, or starting reef keeping after they are grown and you can once again afford it. ;-)

I will second that!!

I have 2 dogs and my fiancee has 3 cats that we consider our kids. That's enough for us.

We'll definitely being using the tips here when the tank gets delivered.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How Many people have their stands anchored to the wall??

For many different pieces of tall furniture, they are shipped with anchoring supplies to help prevent tipping. For those with lower stands this may not be a concern. The higher you go though your tank and stand becomes even more top heavy and easier to tip over. Some of the smaller nano tanks on tall tables or stands come to mind. Also I know my old 75 gallon tank was on a very unstable floor (found out after installing the tank) and it was built really high so there was no leaning over to view. It shook really bad when too many people were walking around in the room. Anchoring increases peace of mind and safety for those situations.

Build a in wall and put a lock on the door

Hmm, I never thought of that one... Pure simplicity at its best.

Last edited:

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you talking about? Fish need to drink too! Let them drink juice!

I personally add mix of orange, grape, berry, and Sunny D to my tank daily. ;)

slyforestfire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

lol i think the same thing some days. i couldnt childprood anything with my son. he saw me use the slider lock on our cupbpoard twice and new how to open it himself. we just made it very clear to him that certain things were off limits.

Techbiker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I build my tank 4.5' but i have a step stool, so my 3 kids can still interact with the inhabitants, of my tank (rimmless)
I also have a biocube on my 7 years old and thanks god that the lid is even harder for me to open, they just love the fish and the corals

OurReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a diversion, we bought white board and some of the 3m Velcro strips. The stand is wrapped in the white board for the kids to draw on, and I can easily get to things. I keep all chemicals in a different room (locked).

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you cdness for bringing up this very important subject. I agree that it is beneficial to have little ones helping while working on the tank because they are spending time with you and will learn a love of the life sciences, low level chemistry and environmental awareness at an early age. Kids can and will do what you think is impossible to investigate things since their desire to learn about their new world is so strong. Several years a go the three year old son of a co-worker pulled a big screen TV down on himself that wasn't secured properly. The child suffered a severe brain injury and almost died.

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a good canopy or top when I had a roommate her kids thought it be fun to throw in every thing they could think of in the fish tank. Including xbox controller a tom of make up, cotton balls, dvds every thing!! I moved out two months later to my own house.

Sent from my tank using tapatalk

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My smallest Twinklet is 2. On Thanksgiving, while I was cooking, she unplugged my pump for my chiller. Since the digital reading still displayed 76 degrees I did not discover it for 3 days, when my Acropora's started dropping like flies and I finally stuck my hand in the tank. My tank is still recovering from the snowball effect of that.
I have since done a better job at blocking access to either the back of the tank or the electricity. ( Which I thought I had done)But as cdness said she watches everything I do.
The doors to my sump area have push type self locking openers but I am still looking into some kind of decorative hasp just in case she figures that out soon.
I also make sure that all of my chemicals are put in the pantry on the top shelf.
Without a ladder, she can't get into the canopy but I would not be a bit surprised if she soon figures that out.
I do watch her like a hawk, but on Thanksgiving, well you know what goes on in a kitchen then!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back