Reef Aquarium Fact #268 Pipefish need a species only tank to be able to thrive.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #268

Pipefish need a species only tank to be able to thrive.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

Doryrhamphus-multiannulatus-Many-Ba.jpg

BROWN-BANDED20PIPEFISH.jpg

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the definition of 'thrive'. In the past I kept Dragon Faced Pipes, Blue Line, and both colors of banded for multiple years till a tank crash.

At the moment I have a pair of dragon faced pipes for almost 2 years.

I have them in my main display tank, which is high flow (including a 2 story surge tank), and with a massive fish population.

They seem happy.

Pipe_Fish_1.jpg

Pipe_Fish_2.jpg

Dave B

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dave well done! Please consider creating a thread documenting your experience with keeping the fish in a full blown reef. :)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see this one might be debunked! I love pipefish and have always wanted a pair.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have my yellow multibanded pipe in my 50. It seems to be a very picky eater and I don't know if he could survive in a tank like my 240.
I do know I get to see him more in the 50, than I would if he were in the 240.

pipe10.jpg

sageharmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the definition of 'thrive'. In the past I kept Dragon Faced Pipes, Blue Line, and both colors of banded for multiple years till a tank crash.

At the moment I have a pair of dragon faced pipes for almost 2 years.

I have them in my main display tank, which is high flow (including a 2 story surge tank), and with a massive fish population.

They seem happy.

Pipe_Fish_1.jpg

Pipe_Fish_2.jpg

Dave B

Hey o2manyfish.
How did you get your corals to grow directly on the sand bed?
Thanks!

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the zoas on tiles and sheet of acryllic. Then put them on the bottom of the tank and added sand on top.

The sand was very shortlived. I only had sand in the tank for about 18 months before I upgraded from 360 to 400g and then went back to bare bottom. I love the look of sand, but I use the magnet with the scrub pad in the tank all the time to clean algae, and sand was constantly scratching the tank.

Since this a thread from over a year ago, I still have the same pair of dragon faced pipes doing well, even after my tank crashed in September and I lost 130+ fish and 200+ corals. The pipes never missed a beat with the Kalk disaster, and the subsequent months of dead and rotting flesh in the tank.

Dave B

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three 300g mixed reef tanks at work and a 120g reef tank at home and all 4 have pipe fish of one kind or another (total of 7) for long term and they seem to be happy and active.

Jason edwards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipefish especially multibanded have very dog like personalities. Kinda like yellow spotted jawfish. I had success with them in the past, scooters, mandarins, dragon face, sea horses , blennie ect. For best succes all non aggressive species of similar needs. Training to a feeding dish is highly advised and will prove rewarding.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had success with an australian banded pipefish in a mixed reef for just over 2 years until it passed. It would hang in the back during the daylight ours but would come right out into the flow to feed. At night, it cruised all over foraging.

GrizFyrFyter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all kinds of LPS in my tank at home. Acans, brains, euphyllia, favia... I also have bubble tip anemones and a carpet anemone and my dragon face pipe fish hasn't had any problems.

general0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dragon face pipefish in a mixed reef (primarily SPS) but also plenty of LPS (Chalice, acans, symphillia, torch, frogspawn) with tons of flow (MP40, MP10, WP40, and Jebao DC9000 return) in a 120g and it has been thriving in my tank with multiple species of fish as it's tank mates for almost two years now. I add live copepods once a month to supplement the existing stock. it swims all over the tank and I can find it in the rocks, sand, or floating on the current sometimes moving about in the tank.

Having a reliable food source I feel is key to my success with the Dragon Face Pipefish and it's one of my favorite fish in the tank to watch!

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, need a true definition of the word thrive for this discussion. BUT, I have 2, a male and female, and they seem to be doing great. I love the quirk they add to the tank. Mine eat nutramar ova and copepods, probably other live things as well. They have not bred or spawned, but I tell them there is no pressure. They have no problem with the corals in the tank, they actually really like hanging out next to the Tyree leather. And no problem with the flow, in fact at dusk one of them (the male I think) swims INTO the flow of the powerheads and holds his own very well.

Ladysaber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a dragon face in my mixed 90g. He is all over the tank and literally sleeps on one of my toadstools at night. He's in a tank that is heavy with LPS, nems, and other stinging corals. He seems to know that he needs to stay away from them.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a australian banded pipefish for about 2 years in my reef tank... they are definitely slower moving but he made it with much more aggressive eaters.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting thread - glad it got revived :) for those that have been successful, do you think it helps to keep them in pairs?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back