help with seahorse identificatoon

triggerlovr1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I purchased two seahorses from my LFS being told they are H. Kelloggi. I am fairly certain this is false and I have decided that I have either H. Comes or H. Erectus. The tail stripes are not quite as defined as a tiger tail and Erectus come in so many colors its hard to rule them out:eek:oh:Here is a picture, any certain identification would be so helpful as well as how to distinguish male from female

Ashley Darby

Be filled with all good things, like the moon on the fifteenth day. T
seaHORSE2.jpg
SEAHORSE1.jpg
ear open the massive darkness.

OP
OP
triggerlovr1990

triggerlovr1990

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote to fusedjaw.com and it was confirmed that they are tiger tail... just another reinforcement to never trust lfs unless they give you good reason. Im not unhappy with the actual species they are im unhappy that a place where i have spent a good deal of money cant provide acurate information. Thanks for the input though!

beatsbymd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are tiger tail. I have 2 in my tank. one was yellow, the other black. The black one turned yellow.

reefs4fun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely tiger tail. Some LFS will try to sell them as h. erectus, but the h. erectus has a much fuller/deeper body than the tiger tail. They look very similar except that one is full bodied and the other looks like its "skinny" cousin.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back