Seahorse ID please....

Global

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone able to ID this stunning seahorse?
Are they easy to keep and are they readily available on the market?
Would love to have some like this for my up and coming tank.
Cheers

pscott99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a beauty. I want one so bad but they require their own special tank envrionment and feeding needs. I have read enough to believe I could not keep one. A coral tank for example will not work due to the flow.

OP
OP
G

Global

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im In the process now doing a tank up for seahorses, I have a journal In the members tanks thread.

But im only just starting

reefs4fun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks very much like a h. erectus with elongated cerri. I have had h. erectus over the past 5 years and recently acquired my first juvenile with elongated cirri. Check the photo at https://www.southwatchseahorse.com/Stellar-Specimens/ for comparison. You might also want to send a pic to Pete Giwojna of Ocean Rider at [email protected] for definitive identification. He is an experienced and very helpful marine biologist with extensive seahorse experience. In fact, you might want to ask Pete about his free online Seahorse Training Course. I took it several years ago and still refer back to my materials from time to time. It covers everything you'd ever want/need to know about keeping seahorses including setting up a seahorse friendly habitat, different types of seahorses, things to look for when selecting a seahorse, compatible tankmates, diseases and illnesses (prevention/symptoms/treatment), breeding, etc. You end up with a free online reference book and he provides excellent continuing support and advice with seahorse-specific issues, all with a very quick and complete response.

My juvenile came from Southwatch Seahorse Farm. If you go to their website you can email or call Jon and he will gladly send you photos of what he has available. Dan and Abby at SeahorseSource.com also have excellent stock and are very helpful. Both sell only captive bred seahorses that have been specifically trained to eat frozen mysis. And yes, the h. erectus is one of the easiest seahorses to keep and comes in a variety of colors.

Best wishes!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back