OP
OP
sbazain

sbazain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do they mingle with fish and the 1000 dollar question how would you feed them cause my fish are pigs eating whe that foids lands in there is gladiator time

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea horses need to be in a species only tank. They are also fairly cold water fish typically requiring a chiller to keep the tank in the low 70s. They will not do well and will probably die in a community tank. Pipefish are about the only tankmates for them.

DirtinLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2014-10-08 00.27.08 HDR.jpg
2014-10-08 00.27.26 HDR.jpg
Hmmm I just got a hipocampus comes (tiger seahorse) and have it in a nano 16 gallon ... running only my return pump... turned off the powerhead.

Temp in tank is in the upper 70's 78 79 and he lives with a big old emerald crab a blue velvet damsel a cleaner shrimp and a peppermeint shrimp...

He is doing great... pics all day and night on pods and gets fed twice a day frozen mysis...

I would not recommend a reef tank cause the flow would kill him.

So yes specific tank cause of flow and keep the tank mates well fed and they should live in harmony!

-=Fred=-

DirtinLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason we have the damsel in there is because we can't catch the dang thing LOL

Doubt you need a fish

You should move over to the seahorse forum here... I'm certain there is many experts over there

Seahorse/Pipefish

-=Fred=-

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea horses can live in higher temps but they are more likely to fall ill due to disease, 70-74 degrees is where they should be at. Slow moving fish are make better tank mates because they won't stress the sea horses or out compete them for food. Crabs are usually a no go since sea horses are such poor swimmers and they will hitch on anything. Care should also be taken when selecting corals to put in with them because they will hitch on anything they will get easily stung. They can survive in a reef tank for a limited amount of time but if you want them to thrive they need to be in an enviornment that is suited to their specific needs. There is some good info out there on them, I'd suggest taking some time to read up in them. The wife is the reason that we ended up with our sea horses but they are pretty cool little guys.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea horses can live in higher temps but they are more likely to fall ill due to disease, 70-74 degrees is where they should be at. Slow moving fish are make better tank mates because they won't stress the sea horses or out compete them for food. Crabs are usually a no go since sea horses are such poor swimmers and they will hitch on anything. Care should also be taken when selecting corals to put in with them because they will hitch on anything they will get easily stung. They can survive in a reef tank for a limited amount of time but if you want them to thrive they need to be in an enviornment that is suited to their specific needs. There is some good info out there on them, I'd suggest taking some time to read up in them. The wife is the reason that we ended up with our sea horses but they are pretty cool little guys.

+1. I couldn't have said it better. :)

zybergoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them in a gorg tank for several years with no problems. The tank mates I had with them were blue legs, money cowries and a tiger tail cucumber. It was a 40g breeder with moderate flow. Also fed by a insane pod filled refugium. I'm considering doing a more modern sea horse tank using a 0-edge.

OP
OP
sbazain

sbazain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the thing I love this hobby but I have enough time for the 150 to get into another tank with something this delicate and everything needs time and attention.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held off on keeping seahorses for a lot of years because of their specialized needs, (lower temps, and docile tankmates). I recently set up a species only tank with just seahorses and pipefish and a cuc and they are such cool little creatures. They are especially charming with how they interact with their mate. Definitely if you do get seahorses read as much as you can about them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back