How do you feed your seahorses?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am mostly just curious what folks do in regards to feeding their ponies. There is the broad cast method of just dumping the mysis in the tank and letting the ponies find it in the water column. There is the turkey baster, bulb syringe method of squirting the mysis out 1 by 1 in front of their noses. Finally there is the feeding station method.
My adult seahorses in my display fuge eat from a clam she'll feeding dish. It's in a shelter area where the flow is weak so I don't turn the pumps off. Recently I have begun using a feeding tube to put the mysis in the shell. When they see the tube, they come a runnin'!
My juvie seahorses get their mysis from a turkey baster. I squirt a bit into the water column and watch to make sure the most of it is eaten quickly. I keep doing that until the juvies slow down in how fast they eat it.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a feeding station for adults and broadcast for juveniles. Juveniles are kept in bare bottom tanks so its easy to siphon out any uneaten mysis.

shayna123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a clump of cheato. I put the mysis on the cheato & it holds it there so they can eat at their leisure. It also attracts pods so they can grab a little fresh food too.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, I am using the turkey baster method. My seahorses are not too keen on their feeding dish.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a feeding station for adults and broadcast for juveniles. Juveniles are kept in bare bottom tanks so its easy to siphon out any uneaten mysis.

My juvies are also in a bb tank although I have some live rock in it too.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now, I am using the turkey baster method. My seahorses are not too keen on their feeding dish.

It took my pair a little while to use the dish as well and I was using a turkey baster before they used their feeding shell.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a clump of cheato. I put the mysis on the cheato & it holds it there so they can eat at their leisure. It also attracts pods so they can grab a little fresh food too.

I had tried that but I was having, (and still am ) a bit of a nitrate problem so I didn't do that very long as I worried that it might contribute to nitrates and detritus in the cheato. Even now I give my cheato a weekly shake.

shayna123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its amazing how much gunk algaes can hold on to, even the smooth ones! I used to feed out of a rock too, it had a nice bowl shape in it so it worked out well. They learn really fast where the food is going. And of course the rock/shell is easier to clean!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its amazing how much gunk algaes can hold on to, even the smooth ones! I used to feed out of a rock too, it had a nice bowl shape in it so it worked out well. They learn really fast where the food is going. And of course the rock/shell is easier to clean!

I can periodically give it a soak in bleach solution so that is good.

FinzAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest... I don't do anything special when feeding my seahorses... I defrost 2-3 cubes of mysis and dump it in.. My seahorses tend to be very good eaters and readily chase the good.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be honest... I don't do anything special when feeding my seahorses... I defrost 2-3 cubes of mysis and dump it in.. My seahorses tend to be very good eaters and readily chase the good.
I am glad that works for you. I can't risk overfeeding my tank because I kept 2 of the babies I raised so am fully stocked. Everything I do in regards to maintenance is overkill to guard against bacteria and disease.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sbmarvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a pipette that I feed according to the preferences of my seahorses. I don't stop my pumps or anything.
2 prefer the broadcast method so I let a few go in the water the few fish that i have eat at this time.
1 prefers it straight from the pipette as fresh as it gets.
1 likes to pick them up from the rocks and corals.
And sometimes they want to eat on the urchin.

Attachments

• 20141011_100141.jpg
    20141011_100141.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 384
Back