Can you tell your seahorses apart?

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really enjoying my 4 new H. erectus beauties! I've had them just over a week now. I have 2 males and 2 females. The males and one female seem very sociable...hanging out together and eating well. One female seems to be out sometimes but might be more of a loner... The only thing is...I'm not sure it's the same being shy or not! Sometimes I feel like maybe they are taking turns hanging out with the boys. Sometimes they are all together, sometimes everyone is in the their own spot.

So my ultimate question is: Can you tell your horses apart? If so, how? I really love that they change their colors but that makes it so hard to identify who's who

IMG_20150314_230506892.jpg
IMG_20150314_230455416_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really thought about that. I think that is because I typically have just kept a pair in my tank.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have 2 males and 2 females. Right now it easy because the 2 little ones are a pair I raised, babies from my adult pair. I have noticed that the pattern of striping, blazes and saddle patches are unique to each animal though. Also look at their neck thickness. My adult male has a graceful more slender neck. My female is chunkier and stocky. I am not sure which the babies will take after.

Last edited:

FinzAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine long enough where I can identify each by their markings... My wife has taken liberty on naming each individual one... She's got a walking dead theme going lol...

OP
OP
Gopi

Gopi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! I've noticed that i have one female who is more slender than the other and one of my males has lost his cirri (so sad) so that helps me some. I do still have to look at them carefully to see who is who. Maybe name tags...

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine long enough where I can identify each by their markings... My wife has taken liberty on naming each individual one... She's got a walking dead theme going lol...

Ha ha, a walking dead theme! That's funny. My husband named my adult pair Adam and Eve because I called their tank the Garden of Eden tank. So when I kept the babies the male was dubbed DeVil and the female la Diabla because the Garden of Eden should have a devil.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back