• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

I started selling and need your advice...

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question and only thing I can think of is 'Not enough HYPE' You are exactly the kind of 'Seller' that I am infrequently and the only type that I personally would deal with in most cases. Don't sweat it and just keep selling through your local club/forum, if you were only 4,000 miles closer I would stop by... lol

Cheers, Todd

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with Todd (TJ's Reef) as far as not worrying too much. The only thing that does come to mind is maybe check out some of the other for sale threads to see the kind of post that is normally getting results. I think people may just need time to get to know you. Once people know you, then they're more comfortable buying. HTH

OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys... I appreciate that. question what do you guys mean when you say "not enough hype"??? do you mean listing fancy coral names? or juce up the photos?

I try to put frags up for much cheaper than others on here because at the end of the day its just a hobby and just trying to clear up some space and garden the crop ;)

OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also I've been looking at some posts where people sell a "RARE" piece for $200-$600 well, my bowerbankai hillae is only $40 per polyp and still no one jumping on that one. perhaps I should offer it up for a cool $400/polyp and see what happens? LOL I purchased the colony for close to a grand.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wasn't saying you need more hype. I think Todd was actually complimenting you for doing exactly what you're talking about in selling stuff at low prices.

I was just saying don't worry. Let people get to know you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome advice and feedback guys... thank you!!!

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple things from my POV...

-I would say is that to get people to buy cross-country and pay for shipping, it needs to be something they can't just get at their local LFS. Pretty much everything you listed is something I could pick up locally.

-Another thing would be investing in a way to get some better pictures...and posting more WYSIWYG pictures. People want to see exactly what they are getting for the money.

-Last is your low post count and relatively new presence on R2R. There's been a lot of shady dealings and people want to become more comfortable with you before they buy. Wouldn't hurt to start a build thread and show people your personal systems...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A couple things from my POV...

-I would say is that to get people to buy cross-country and pay for shipping, it needs to be something they can't just get at their local LFS. Pretty much everything you listed is something I could pick up locally.

-Another thing would be investing in a way to get some better pictures...and posting more WYSIWYG pictures. People want to see exactly what they are getting for the money.

-Last is your low post count and relatively new presence on R2R. There's been a lot of shady dealings and people want to become more comfortable with you before they buy. Wouldn't hurt to start a build thread and show people your personal systems...

Great points :thumb:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, if you increase the price to where its completely insane you will get more interest. I have tried to sell frags that are "worth" $200 for $40 (because that's how I roll) and it gets little interest. Slap a $500 pricetag on it and the pm will be flooding.

OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree... great points TruRacr314x. I'm waiting for black friday to pick up the olympus tg3 underwater camra which should help with pics. as for a build thread, its a fairly old system but perhaps I can post that anyway? thanks for the suggestions

pete polyp... this is what I have noticed also.

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree... great points TruRacr314x. I'm waiting for black friday to pick up the olympus tg3 underwater camra which should help with pics. as for a build thread, its a fairly old system but perhaps I can post that anyway? thanks for the suggestions

pete polyp... this is what I have noticed also.

Old system or not...it's still nice to show what you have. It drives me nuts when people try to give advice to everyone and never show you what they have. I try not to take advice from someone who can't show me a successful system of their own. Just how I feel...I'm sure everyone is different.

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my honest opinion:
-Sell more than one coral at a time. This helps offset costs of shipping
-Be realistic on prices. Just because you see big name vendors sell stuff for mad money doesn't mean people will buy it from you.
-Avoid selling wild pieces, many of us are collectors. Most likely your wild piece is not rare and can easily be obtained. Here's an example from reef2reef

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 219
OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks akitareefer for your suggestions... do you have a link to that listing? I cant find it anywhere which makes me wonder if it even exists.

additionaly, I have three listings with over 65 corals for sale at the moment but but i hear yah on offering more corals to make shipping make better sense. As for the Bower... I purchased the colony about a year ago with less polyps than it has now for close to a grand. My frag has three polyps and we all know how long bowerbanki's take befor they sprout thier first polyp. once the first one sprouts they start poping out more regularly. I have already had members interested and I know that a colector will see the value there. I have also had a pretty solid offer made for my mother colony. Lastly, just because someone appears to be offering a single polyp does not mean that the coral is not rare. This coral is. In fact, I cant find this coral anywhere from vendors at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

Last edited:

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice in this thread. Thanks for posting.

akitareefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks akitareefer for your suggestions... do you have a link to that listing? I cant find it anywhere which makes me wonder if it even exists.

additionaly, I have three listings with over 65 corals for sale at the moment but but i hear yah on offering more corals to make shipping make better sense. As for the Bower... I purchased the colony about a year ago with less polyps than it has now for close to a grand. My frag has three polyps and we all know how long bowerbanki's take befor they sprout thier first polyp. once the first one sprouts they start poping out more regularly. I have already had members interested and I know that a colector will see the value there. I have also had a pretty solid offer made for my mother colony. Lastly, just because someone appears to be offering a single polyp does not mean that the coral is not rare. This coral is. In fact, I cant find this coral anywhere from vendors at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

I know what you mean with the bower, I've had one for 1.5 years and I've only taken a few frags. Maybe its just a limited marketplace because not many people keep bowers due to frag-ability. I really hope I didn't come off wrong, just wanted to share my opinion

OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean with the bower, I've had one for 1.5 years and I've only taken a few frags. Maybe its just a limited marketplace because not many people keep bowers due to frag-ability. I really hope I didn't come off wrong, just wanted to share my opinion

absolutely not... I appreciate your input... I was just correcting as I have other corals being offered. I agree that the Bower is definitely alot tougher to frag and need special saw to do it. Mine cost me 4 benjamins. I'm not so sure that Bowers are as limited in the marketplace. i think that many just dont know it exists due to rarety and many in the marketplace are into acans. Bowers are (IMO) the most stunning acans there is due to the polyp size (amoung the largest of its species). anyhow, I learn from others and don't claim to be an expert even though I have been in the hobby for 16 years so thank you for your comments.

Back