Rocky's 280g Peninsula

GuyWalker1219

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's some pics I had taken today unfortunately I really suck at reef photo's. Half of these are white LEDS only the other half are white LEDS and 2 ATI Blue plus t5's if I run the blue LEDS the pics are just over saturated with blue the photo's in my intro thread are blue and whites together and I just can't get over the blue washing everything out. Someday I'll get better at reef photo's but until then heres what I've got.
IMG_2378.jpg
IMG_2379.jpg
IMG_2381.jpg
IMG_2382.jpg
IMG_2384.jpg

OP
OP
G

GuyWalker1219

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last few all these taken in the last hour right after lights on si a few of the corals not opened all the way(you guys know how it is LOL)
IMG_2403.jpg
IMG_2408.jpg
IMG_2414.jpg

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is amazing!!!!!!! I love peninsula set ups...... May I ask, who made the aquarium?

revsgirl

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Stunning reef!! Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
G

GuyWalker1219

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the kind words. As for filtration I keep it pretty simple with the exception of my Calcium reactor setup. I basically only run 3 things Bio-Pellets, Calcium Reactor and Skimmer.

My calcium demand is very heavy and I go through a lot of media quickly most of my reactor setups are in a closet on the opposite side of the staircase. I run a Hydor 1500 I changed out the stock pump with a Mag3 for better circulation its outlet then runs into a second reactor a Coralife 240 the second reactor has no CO2 running the outlet then goes to a large third chamber under the tank and finally into a small chamber right before the drip in the sump. It sounds like a lot I know but I keep the PH in my first reactor at 6.3 and it come out at the sump 7.9 to 8.1 the second reactors curculation pump without CO2 really helps drive the PH back up.

I also run two Bio-Pellet reactors I made myself one runs 2 liters of ecobak pellets and the other runs 500ml of NPX bio-Pellets. For circulation I have a closed loop through the bottom of the tank on a Reeflo Barracuda pump I also run 2 seio 1500 to push some water from the overflow side of the tank to the front since there's no outlets at that end. My return is a Reeflo Dart it also runs my Reactors and 1/2hp chiller and the Frag tank I built myself.
Skimmer is a Euroreef rs-250 with mesh mod this was suppose to be a temp until I had gotten something newer but this is the best skimmer I've ever had and won't give it up for anything now.

As for lighting I wanted to try out some ebay ToaTronic 120w fixtures I honestly thought they would not last long and had 16 t5's waiting on the side for when I was going to change them. Well guess what I've got the best growth, Color and PE I've ever had in my 20+ years in the hobby these lights are amazing I run a few ATI Blue+ bulbs to get the color I want and am very pleased. LED t5 combo is the way to go IMO and as far as China TaoTronics go man they grow corals thats all I can say.
I also run air injection every 3 hours for 2 minutes during the lights on period I see great benefits from this and have been doing it for years I would not run a tank without it. I control everything off a AcJr one of these days I'll get an Apex.

I use no Carbon, GFO or any additives at all I do not feed my corals I figure they get enough from the fish waste and bio-pellet bi product.
I do water change about every 4 to 6 months of 30% I am honestly debating on cutting them out all together my thoughts are my tank gets all the minerals and trace elements it needs from the calcium media and the pellets keep the water nutrient poor I run at 0 phosphates and 0 Nitrates at all times have very little algae and have never had cyano. Old habits die hard thought and after about four months I start getting nervous and start planning a water change although the water parameters are perfect and the tank is very stable. Anyway here are a few pics of my filtration its not the prettiest but it gets the job done.
a1.jpg
a2.jpg
a3.jpg
a4.jpg
IMG_1636 (1).jpg

Here is a video of one of my 2 pellet reactors in this vid its running on the sump of my old 300g it is now on this tank daisy chained with another reactor.
[video=youtube;usqKYguWTUo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usqKYguWTUo[/video]

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job buddy!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back