Crazy thing to do, but hey, it worked. Saved Armageddons

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not saying to try it or if it is a sure thing or looking for any debates on the subject, but I have a 5 polyp frag of Armageddons that started to wither away last week. I have seen this before and tried several methods to save them, only to have them die-off. I am really excited about this.
Sat I injected 1 unit of Kent's Iodide into each polyp. I figured what would it hurt, they are goners anyway. They are all opened or opening today. Every one of them and the ones that are open look healthy.
Wish I had gotten pics when they were withered but will get pic tonight of them now opening back up.
I have no idea what a unit is. I got a pack of diabetic syringes from my neighbor but it seems to measure out to a drop.

roshi719

Official fish poo remover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I'd like to tag along and see how this works in the long term.

Preston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. Where did you inject it into? Side or from top (mouth) of the polyp? I have some Darth Maul that aren't looking too good.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. You think the iodine is killing some sort of bacteria or something bad inside the polyps??

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
insulin syringes are a total of 1ml.

So one unit, it likely .01ml.

I used them to start vodka dosing, and you have to be able to dose a fraction of a ml to start.

Really doesn't sound crazy to me. It is a disinfectant. I could totally see it working.

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting Mike, might be worth a try next time one of my frags starts to melt.

Interested to see pics, too.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha after reading this i was checking all my zoas and hoping to find one that's wilted so i can try it.

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having some problems with a small colony of PEoA. I have 3 other frags all doing awesome. I started injections Sat and they are already starting to look better, but only time will tell.
Here they are today. Yesterday and Sat they were completely deflated and looking like absorption was beginning to settle in. They are starting to re-inflate now.
Have injected every day for 2 days.
I got a pic of the Arms too. It would be better to know what causes some to go bad, but till that is found, maybe this will prove to be one of the methods that will help save them.

IMG_5206.jpg

IMG_5170.jpg

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. You think the iodine is killing some sort of bacteria or something bad inside the polyps??
I think JuniorMC8704 is close on to what the iodine is probably doing. It has proved to have healing abilities with zoanthids. I never frag a zoanthid without dipping it in iodine afterward and letting it sit in the dry for 30-60 seconds and they always open and heal within a day. Has never failed yet.

Kigs!

zoa santa
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're a crazy man, Mike...:) Let's see some before and after pics, sounds very interesting.

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how to go about getting a diabetic syringe/needle if you don't have a neighbor with one? I'm thinking the pharmacist might look at me like a drug addict if I asked for one...

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know how to go about getting a diabetic syringe/needle if you don't have a neighbor with one? I'm thinking the pharmacist might look at me like a drug addict if I asked for one...

You might be able to ask your doctor for a small prescription for them if you show him this article... or you can go to one of those free needle exchanges that are around to stop the spread of aids...but I don't think they use diabetic needles for that. I think the secret is the insulin needle...it's almost as fine as hair...my mom was a diabetic...that's how I know. Only something as thin as water without any particles in it will pass a insulin needle. Plus they are super sharp...little damage to the actual polyp. Heck, if you are 99% sure you are going to lose them I say take the chance.

I'll interested to see how this turns out long term. Why not iodine? Didn't your mom put it on your skinned knees when you were a kid or am I showing my age again.

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't you just go into drug store and buy them? I really don't know but seems you should be able too. I wonder how small a needle/syringe you can get at feed stores?

GrouperGenius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't you just go into drug store and buy them? I really don't know but seems you should be able too. I wonder how small a needle/syringe you can get at feed stores?

The smallest I could find before at Tractor Supply was 22 ga. Still a bit bigger than insulin needles.

On another note. Do you think each polyp need be injected? Doesn't the entire colony share?

jerryc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike did i mis your answer about where you injected them at ? I have used it a long time for frag dipping i usual let them set in it for 30 minutes.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Needles are a behind-the-counter item, but it's not as big of a deal to pick up at the pharmacy as the stigma suggests. If they ask for a specific gauge, they are 25 ga and up. Just sound like you know what you're getting, and it'll go fine.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 49 83.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back