Coral planning

carl page

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had a gardening program that would allow you to select plants and then allow you to cycle time to see what it should look like in 5.. 10.. Years..etc.. Anything like that for coral available. Sometimes its hard to visualize what to expect when placing new frags....

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be a little bit more unpredictable with corals, considering their fragility and unpredictable spreading/growth. But if you find something like that, please share! It would be incredibly interesting to try it out.

Also, what was the name of the gardening program?

carlparks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll have to research gardening tool...I'll let you know if I find it... My other hobby...lol

Reef.ductionist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That question comes up every now and again, and to my knowledge no program exists like that for corals just yet,although I'm sure it won't be too long before someone writes it. Saltwater Aquarium Models by John Tullock is a pretty good book for building your aquarium setup from scratch this way. Another approach is to read up and understand the different parts of a reef, and then research which parts of the reef harbor which species of corals. A book that covers the parts of the reef is Natural Reef Aquariums by John Tullock.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part corals will grow differently depending on conditions. But you're not out of luck completely. You can actually make most coral grow exactly how you want by pruning them. This is practically underwater bonsai :)

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 76 43.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 49 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back