yellow finger gorgonian - back from dead?

tld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 29g tank crash about 8 months ago. I drained the tank/sump and put them in my basement, and replaced the water. I had intentions of hooking it back up and letting it cycle - and maybe just using it for breeding or growing food, but never got around to it. Since then it has been sitting with no water movement and achieving a heroic level of salinity due to evaporation.

Over the last few months I have fished out most of the LR and reused it elsewhere. Still the tank sits.

There was a single yellow finger gorgonian left in the display, that kept most of its flesh. On a whim today I pulled it out and dropped it into a 10G I am setting up. To my surprise, at least two polyps have opened (just barely)! I'm really curious about this and interested in input from others.

I've always thought various NPS were amongst the easiest animals to keep (but I am a fan of DSB and specifically feeding my microfauna and letting them feed my tank all day) - I keep a 60g NPS without any filtration and have 2y/o feather stars, giant sponges, growing scallops, massive tunicate colonies. This aside I am just blown away that this gorgonian had any life to it whatsoever - mostly I thought the remaining flesh would just fall off and I'd be left with a skeleton that would serve as a hitching post for the dwarf seahorses.

OP
OP
T

tld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20140824_020214.jpg

Hard to see, but there are two distinct white polyps opening here. Will post more as I try to rehab this coral.

Fincasters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow -- I'll be curious to see if anyone has heard of this. I have a hard time maintianing these in pristine conditions!

OP
OP
T

tld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recovery halted when one of the nautiluses started snacking on it. They have never touched any of the healthy gorgonians in the tank, although do have a reputation for snacking on random things.

Several polyps had been opening though. Really curious about this recovery.

OP
OP
T

tld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I should point out I moved it from the smaller tank to a larger, longer established tank with many gorgonians where I thought it would do better)

McolonReefAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine looked like that a month ago.

1410987730531.jpg

this is it today. Recovering nicely. I had it sitting on the sandbed
them moved it up onto a rock directly under the light.

Attachments

• 20140917_164340.jpg
    20140917_164340.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 343

Re3f_Adict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having some issues with mine , it has not opened in about two weeks . any suggestions . its on the top right side.

Attachments

• 1427471862385.jpg
    1427471862385.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 288

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back