Wavemaker for 120g LPS/soft coral reef

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,
I hope you are having a great week!
In my 120g reef tank,I have soft and LPS corals zoas and mushrooms.
My powerhead(that returns the water to the dt from the sump) is rated 5000 l/h (1200g/h)
And i Had a wavemaker that was noted 1200g/h
Unfortunately my wavemaker stopped working I tried to fix it but nothing worked. So i am going to get a new one.
The old one i struggled with and seemed a bit strong for my tank,the coral
Don't like it too much,since i am getting a new one,do you advice me to get a smaller one?
Thank you :)
Edit: what about placing 2 smaller wave maker instead of one and place
Them face to face?

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm deciding on flow for my 120 aswell. I would have two or more softer ones as opposed to one powerful one. For LPS and softies you'll want roughly 20-30x turnover of the display volume which is about 2400-3600 gph give or take. Perhaps more on the lower end so your softies don't get shredded. Two 1200 gph power heads would be ok :) but if you think that's a bit overkill as you said one 1200 seemed too strong, maybe a 1200 and a 600 and angle them so it only slightly waves the softies about.

Last edited:

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 (48x24x24) with softies and a couple of lps. I have one Jeboa wp40 and one wp25. working out great. I like the night setting. cut power to
half when the lights go out. I've been running them for a year and no problems. can't be beat for the price.

Shaggy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two jebao rw-15's on a 210 and they work great. Plenty of flow and adjustable like the mps but alot cheaper.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with the new maxspect riptide when released. Perfect for lps, moves a ton of water but not jet-like as many powerheads do. Lots of water + lower velocity = happy lps!

OP
OP
Oliver94

Oliver94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your replies guys!
If i am willing to get the maxspect,can I keep my reef without a wave maker? Counting only on the powerhead that drives water from my sump(1200g/h) till I get the maxspect one?

Thank you!

Fincasters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have several powerheads in addition to my return pump, which creates good, chaotic flow in the tank. Typically I feel like corals want more flow than we think they do -- as long as it's not beating them to death. I still believe the best option however is something that generates back and forth motion, be it from mp-40's or Tunze wave boxes or whatever. This also helps prevent the creation of eddy's in behind your rockwork where detritus can accumulate. My two cents !

Back