Ricordia Corals - aggressive?

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not found them to be aggressive growers like mushrooms......that's just my experience though

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think rics are aggressive at all. Very slow growers in my tank; similar to mushrooms.

Last edited:

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deff a slower grower than other mushrooms. I feed mine and they grow good in my system.

OP
OP
mwbeach

mwbeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I hear horror stories about mushrooms and how they take over and it's hard to get rid of them. I love the colors and look of ricordias but don't want to regret it later

7hogwarts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too, like rics. Both Yuma and Florida. I really like the florida rics that come from Puerto Rico. Amazing Rainbows, much different colors than Florida coasts

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. I've never thought of ricordea as a mushroom, but as an anemone. Tagging along. Love ricordea.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I hear horror stories about mushrooms and how they take over and it's hard to get rid of them. I love the colors and look of ricordias but don't want to regret it later

I think that's more the discosoma species of mushrooms, although I could be wrong there. I don't think you need to worry about rics over growing things :)

Hmmm. I've never thought of ricordea as a mushroom, but as an anemone. Tagging along. Love ricordea.
I always thought mushrooms/corallimorphs were a type of anemone? I've seen mushrooms labelled and being sold as "mushroom anemones". Perhaps that was just a marketing technique.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make them grow like crazy if you want to. I have gotten 20 babies off this one in about 18 months
uploadfromtaptalk1411366246149.jpg

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make them grow like crazy if you want to. I have gotten 20 babies off this one in about 18 months...
Do tell. How do you do that? Feed them? I feed mine weekly, and they stay pretty small.
Ricordea_sm.jpg

laineyg6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordia are extremely slow growing, so when they get to a nice size, you'll love them even more!

TinpanVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dedicated a rock to be my ric garden, started with three rics 2 years ago and I have no idea how many now. I recently added two blue/greens just because some was getting rid of them. They grow pretty fast for me, I have to trim them back now and then but the little buggers are growing around and behind rocks now. So far, they will kill any other coral they come in contact with. They are keeping my NoTG digi in check (which is good for me) so it spreads no further. IMHO, I would put them on a seperate rock, that way you can keep them where you want.

Top-Down-2-S_zpscb2043e8.jpg

Dr.Reefgood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the ric has more than one mouth must you cut thru the mouth to propagate? Also I have a ric that is splitting but there is only one mouth on it. Will it work itself out?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back