Is this Xenia???

Browarican

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a piece of live rock a little over a month ago and noticed a pinkish veiny looking thing on the top of it that had a few bumps... Over the last month the guys in the picture below have started to spring up during the day and almost completely flattening out during the night... It's grown to a little less than an inch tall and is starting to look very similar to some Pom Pom Xenia I see at my LFS... Was wondering if someone could help me with identifying this so I can make sure I take proper care of it...

Thanks!

uploadfromtaptalk1411776882711.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411776900876.jpg

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks as though that could be anthellia to me. I just got through ripping a gallon jug of it out of my tank. It is pretty, but I will never intentionally add that to another one of my tanks.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its pulsing xenia.for.sure i have a whole rock.of.it. and despite everyones comments its kind of pretty i love it but it can get out of hand ive had mine for 4 months and its stuck to the one rock (separated from the others by sand ) love the stuff

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140925_192352.jpg

Heres a pic of mine. Watch them when they. Are open they will open and close themselves that's howll youll know the difference

schneid0c

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i liked it when it was the only coral i had then when i started adding others it overgrew them. now i wish i never put this stuff in my tank i have to take a razor to it every month to keep it from covering my other corals. at this point it is considered a pest to me.

OP
OP
Browarican

Browarican

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the responses.. It's still extremely small, but the one thing that confuses me is that at night or when a crab carelessly walks over it, about 90% of it recedes and is almost invisible... It ends up looking like nothing more than a bumpy vein on the rock...

9balliw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very easy to remove from most rocks just a pair of big tweezers and pull side ways most of the time comes off pretty clean I like mine just keep them separated or trim often. I have used the frags for a LOT of trading stock pull it off glue to plugs or rubble Good luck

9balliw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch in my refugium so I trade it pretty cheap too but it grows quick and u can kinda use it as a barometer for alk they don't pulse if it gets to far out or at least slow way down

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back