Will xenia cross sand

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of people say they have huge problems with their pulsing xenia becoming pest i personally like the look of it ... So i have a rock of it the rock started with little to no xia and now has exploded into a beautiful xenia garden my rock is seperated from the rest of my rock and my xenia has not crossed the sand. My question is will it

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, it can. Just keep enough flow on it so the susbtrate stays pretty well disturbed. hard for it to cross in those conditions. I eventually tossed a rock of it because I got tired of trimming it back every few days to a week. It was going up the glass! -.-

NOTE: I don't do softies because of those and anthelia's that I couldn't keep under control, LOL. I don't mind a few slower growing zoa's but my goodness those families grow like CRAZY!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferRookie

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have the rock near the back wall i would. Love for it to crawl all the way up my back wall think itd look way more natrual then a black backdrop

Global

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be interested to hear more views on its ability too cross sand or not.

I like the look of it as well and was planning to have it in my tank when its finally set up.

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had xenia let go of its rock and catch a ride in the current.

This immediately came to mind.

eac dude__600_450_q50.jpg

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it attach onto the back glass of my tank. I have also seen it cross small gaps over rocks.

If there is a will there is a way for this stuff :)

Jepsep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it isolated on a rock at least 6 inches from any other rock and it spread over anyway somehow, I tore the whole tank apart and got rid of it all, it was growing over frogspawns and hammers too

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia will definitely frag itself and pop up at any spot in your tank. In my opinion its not hard to keep up with though as long as you take the time to do so. Also unless you want it to cover all of your rock work it is best kept to an island.

jokervueboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my xenia have crossed sand.. lept from 1 rock and crossd over to the next creating a gian chain

jeneratesomefun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's love/hate. If you want to keep it and it does well in your tank, keep an eye on it if you want it to be contained. When it "outgrows" it's area it will "drop" or "release" arms and they will float to another place in your tank and take over.

I too had mine contained to an island until this happened... I missed an arm getting ready to disconnect. That was a battle! I now keep it trimmed as much as possible.

Consider what you're willing to do to maintain it and if it's worth the hassle to you. It's awfully beautiful though! :) GL!!

Bernardhny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. I am seeing mine expand and grow. I am actually hoping it spreads more (for now).

darla.parker.96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone gave me some for free and I didnt know what it was until now that I read all of this. It was pretty and Im just getting things in my tank and now im worried.

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it. I am seeing mine expand and grow. I am actually hoping it spreads more (for now).

I put an echinata near some I didn't want to spread. It definitely kept it at bay, but I think the energy expense for the echinata greatly slows it's own growth

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • None.

Votes: 34 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back