GSP vs. Zoanthids

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which coral would win out green star polyps versus zoanthids if both are growing on the same piece of rock?

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gsp are weeds n grow over everything. I will never have it again in our new setup or any other. Looks cool till it takes over. God bless......Steve

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the zoas can sting the gsp back enough before it encrusts over the zoas, it just grows too fast. The only thing that mowed down gsp in my tank was anems. My stunner chalice and brown buttons fought, and that one was wierd, a polyp fused into the stunner, leaving a a massive polyp that went from brown to neon green with a brown edge, now some of the chalice eyes or mouths are mutated between the polyp and chalice. Oddest thing in my tank, it was a stunner chalice remnant and polyp that survived, I dont think I can post on here yet or I would post it. Doubt you will get a zoa-gsp Frankenstein though. Now I am keeping that stunner as it is so wierd, some mouths are typical stunner chalice looking, neon green and star-shaped, others are brown rimmed, with neon centers and larger eyed or mouthed than normal. I've had it about 4-5 months now and am waiting to see if it eventually kills the zoa or some wierd Frankestein coral is created

OP
OP
zoous

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. What would be best way to get rid of the GSP then?

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. What would be best way to get rid of the GSP then?

take the rock out of the tank till dried or temporarily remove and scrape it and then return it, don't scrape it in the tank, chips will sneak off an grow and you will have to do this a few times. The only GSP I keep now is the branching type, far less invasive and doesn't encrust like the other variety. If you are near san diego Ill cut some for you. If you keep it, it is best as a solo rock so it cant easily creep to other rocks.

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is about the only odd fusion I have had from completely different corals, I have melted some pocilloporas together, some montis, etc but usually this doesn't happen, a brown button melted into a stub of the stunner chalice I thought was removed, in fact I thought the buttons were gone and the stunner, all removed but later found this odd melting combo in the very back of my tank.

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah and it doesnt seem to be dying either way, the polyps are mutated in the chalice and I am getting more giant polyp-mouths with the brown button polyp lashes that have neon green centers, guess they called a truce on the battle for real estate

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt the zoas can sting the gsp back enough before it encrusts over the zoas, it just grows too fast. The only thing that mowed down gsp in my tank was anems. My stunner chalice and brown buttons fought, and that one was wierd, a polyp fused into the stunner, leaving a a massive polyp that went from brown to neon green with a brown edge, now some of the chalice eyes or mouths are mutated between the polyp and chalice. Oddest thing in my tank, it was a stunner chalice remnant and polyp that survived, I dont think I can post on here yet or I would post it. Doubt you will get a zoa-gsp Frankenstein though. Now I am keeping that stunner as it is so wierd, some mouths are typical stunner chalice looking, neon green and star-shaped, others are brown rimmed, with neon centers and larger eyed or mouthed than normal. I've had it about 4-5 months now and am waiting to see if it eventually kills the zoa or some wierd Frankestein coral is created

Any pics on the fused creature? I'm so curious what yours look like now :)

-YK

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GSP will win for sure.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back