Is my xenia dying???

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to know what's going on with my xenia. It started yesterday and has continued through today. Before yesterday it was perfectly fine. Full bloomage I guess you could say. And now it's been shriveled up like this for two days. Water parameters are good. They are all within range and everything else in the tank is doing perfectly fine. I haven't changed anything. Haven't added anything other than RO for top off. Thoughts???
uploadfromtaptalk1429824323762.jpg

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been in the tank for a month and never looked like this until just yesterday.

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flow from the circulation pump is not directly hitting it. It's angled away from the xenia to where the flow runs along the side of it. The only thing I put in the tank food wise is frozen mysis. The only thing I've dosed is buffer. My kh was low. But this was like three weeks ago. It's stable now. And as of today it hasn't improved. But it hasn't worsened either.

Jake Levi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try reading up on xenia and iodine, I was never able to maintain it without iodine. How much depends on your tank and size.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has periods where it looks like this. I believe it is wgen it is spreading. I think it might be traveling. Ususlly looks better and has new stalks or moved stalks in a few days. Let me know if that's correct when it comes back. Just a theory.

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has periods where it looks like this. I believe it is wgen it is spreading. I think it might be traveling. Ususlly looks better and has new stalks or moved stalks in a few days. Let me know if that's correct when it comes back. Just a theory.
That's a pretty good theory and may be true. I was looking at it today and it was actually split. There's three stocks and they were all connected. One has already split and the other two seem to be doing the same. That just may be it.

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or is the fact that it's splitting a bad sign???

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine has looked that way repeatedly. And it always looks bigger and better after. Its in four different places now. The bottom colony is the original. Then up top is the second. And I have 3 stalks In a different area and a two stalk frag. All from a two stalk frag I bought about 8 months ago. :-D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-25-19-31-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-25-19-31-35.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 397
OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not mind at all if mine started spreading like that. I personally like xenia. I know alot of people don't give a crap about it. But I like it. Haha.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah is that pulsing Xenia? I love mine. I hear it gets out of control fast but hasn't happened to me. I have had my anthelia take over throughout the years though

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah is that pulsing Xenia? I love mine. I hear it gets out of control fast but hasn't happened to me. I have had my anthelia take over throughout the years though
Yeah it is. I hope it makes a comeback and begins to spread.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia was my first "favorite coral" lol. I have two varieties. the pom pom which you seem to have. and the taller pulsing Xenia. the pulsing is the big one in this picture. lower left hand corner is the two stalk frag of pom pom.I still love xenia.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-25-20-02-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-04-25-20-02-19.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 374
OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind. It's not pulsating. It's pom pom. Haha. My bad.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sry for the crappy pics. I'm at work. Theyre cropped from fts. Lol

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia was my first "favorite coral" lol. I have two varieties. the pom pom which you seem to have. and the taller pulsing Xenia. the pulsing is the big one in this picture. lower left hand corner is the two stalk frag of pom pom.I still love xenia.
I'm not gonna say it's my favorite because I love all the corals I have in my tank. No matter what they cost me, $10 or $100. I love them all. [emoji1]

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not gonna say it's my favorite because I love all the corals I have in my tank. No matter what they cost me, $10 or $100. I love them all. [emoji1]
I feel you man. I take it that step further. I love everything from the worms and bugs to plants corals. there's nothing about this hobby that I don't love. too cool

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 43 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back