Killing clove polyps?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a large frag of zoas which had some brown and blue clove polyps growing on them. From my experience with my old tank, these clove polyps can grow very quickly and I consider them some what of a pest. So, what's the best way to eradicate them without killing the zoas?

Kano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on what it is you should be able to use a razor blade and scrape the cloves off without damaging the zoa. Use a peeling motion rather than a cutting. I've used this method to get rid of blue anthelia as well as xenia.

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for maybe an easier route. Will dipping them in fresh water kill them?

uall8up

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say fluke tabs will do it also. But, I have heard that they also kill invertebrates.

Degener8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to fluke tabs. This is the only thing other than manual removal I have heard of. You could always frag off the zoas then just let the plug dry out if you want to reuse it.

Kano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any "easy" fix with a chemical or fresh water will probably end up killing either both or neither. I learned that if you're buying a frag that you have to take things off to include that effort into the cost and decide if it's worth buying it. Not sure how big of a frag you purchased or how covered with cloves it is. You can frag off the zoas without the cloves and them and grow them out and sell the rest to a different LFS or to friends/online.

Steven R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
baste the cloves with boiling water on a paint brush repeatedly for 5 min then scrub off with a medium tooth brush. the boiling water make's the tissue break down, and the tooth brush removes it. or go KANO route frag the zoas and sell the cloves there is always someone out there that loves any type of coral.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dip it in a fluke tab solution in a separate container before adding it to your tank. This way your only adding a very small amount of the chemical to your tank and its harmless to the zoanthids. One tab in about a gallon of water for 20 minutes should do it good.

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any "easy" fix with a chemical or fresh water will probably end up killing either both or neither. I learned that if you're buying a frag that you have to take things off to include that effort into the cost and decide if it's worth buying it. Not sure how big of a frag you purchased or how covered with cloves it is. You can frag off the zoas without the cloves and them and grow them out and sell the rest to a different LFS or to friends/online.

The zoas are fruit loops grown on a 3" disk. The cloves are grown all around, so I can't just pick them off as they are some growing on the zoas. I simply couldn't pass up the purchase as they are hard to come by in my area and for the price I paid for this colony ($40), it was a steal!! Also, by fluke tabs what do you guys mean, brand? I have API furan 2 and general cure.

Thanks guys for the advice so far.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dremel? Take out the zoa's from the middle. A diamond band saw makes quick work of those frag disks.

Cl0ne1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...if you cut the cloves off with a razor you can just send them my way. I have a designated spot in my tank for cloves as they happen to be one of my favorite types of corals. I can try to get them to grow even if they are mangled. That is also why I agree with others as far as killing them. If you manage to kill them, you will most likely kill the zoas too. Cloves are like weeds. You must surround them with things like torches and mini carpets to keep them under control or they will take over. I purchased a clove frag with 3 cloves on it. 2 never opened and the other looked terrible for about 3 weeks. Now, only 5 weeks later, I've got over 15 cloves and they are coming back brighter and healthier than the ones I originally bought.

Tank you for your time,

Kevin

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back