Tiny white bugs on my acro.

mikelugositattoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help identifying these bugs. I have looked everywhere in the forum and in other forums and can't seem to find any straight answers.

So about a week and a half ago, just this one acro (its just a simple green no name acro) has the bugs on it, they seem to be latching by their mouth, with the rest of the body hanging out with the current, close to, but not quite on the mouths of the polyps. There seems to be around 8 or 9 of them. So far, no viewable damage has been caused to the coral, but im starting to worry that if the numbers multiply, might actually have some issues. They are barely observable with the naked eye, yet upon closer look with an eye lupe, they become evident as not being sweeper tentacles or polyps.

uploadfromtaptalk1406669719874.jpg

Phone pic from my Galaxy S5

The picture is not great, but you can see them clearly.

They look somewhat like a copepod, just skinnier and more elongated with several appendages which seem like legs, and once they attach they dont move.

Potentially I could be mistaken and these not be bugs at all, but maybe even some sort of other beneficial/pest type organism, just cant seem to figure it out.

Any help would be great!

OP
OP
mikelugositattoo

mikelugositattoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of dip should I use? Regular coral rx dip, hypo, fw exit? I wouldnt know where to start!

shrimplet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this happen on a stag befor. I think it's just part of the Acro. Maybe feeders ?

shrimplet

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that at first, but they dont seem to be coming out of the acro, they look attached to flat surface area

Hmm then I'm not sure. I'm an Lps guy lol. But there are plenty of Acro experts on this thread. Hopefully they can chime in

alan.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even better if that bug!! not coming from the acro. just swooch them in bucket of tank water!!

OP
OP
mikelugositattoo

mikelugositattoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even better if that bug!! not coming from the acro. just swooch them in bucket of tank water!!
I might try that. Im gonna look into that bayer coral dip also, ive read alot of threads mentioning it with good results. I was more looking for an answer as to what they could be for further prevention, but I guess if I succeed with eradication, still same happy outcome.

Eric B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda hard to tell from the pics but if you watch the coral do they move around the coral? If they move around then it's some type of bug but if they don't move I would say it's probably just a growth on the coral. You can dip it if that makes you happy but I would only recommend the bayer for a dip and there are plenty of thread on here about how to use it. One other question would be are the spots on any other acro/sps that you own or just this stag?

Just went back and re-read your first post and you say they don't move once attached?? Maybe some type of hydroid then and don't know if they will hurt the sps but I would just watch closely if you dip and it removes them and if they come back after a few days.......

Last edited:

doylef4i

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda hard to tell from the pics but if you watch the coral do they move around the coral? If they move around then it's some type of bug but if they don't move I would say it's probably just a growth on the coral. You can dip it if that makes you happy but I would only recommend the bayer for a dip and there are plenty of thread on here about how to use it. One other question would be are the spots on any other acro/sps that you own or just this stag?

Just went back and re-read your first post and you say they don't move once attached?? Maybe some type of hydroid then and don't know if they will hurt the sps but I would just watch closely if you dip and it removes them and if they come back after a few days.......
I think Eric B is right. there is an article on reef builders from a little while back that talks about hydroids on acros. Here's a link.
Zanclea hydroid is an Acropora and stony coral parasite you?ve probably never heard of

jzaso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had something like this -small (0.010/0.020")oval white but would move quickly, towards the polyp mouth and hang in the current -specific to only one of my new frags-I freaked and put qt trying to id before dip could never id when pulled out of qt none were present! no obvious damage pe and color were good! that frag is back in dt with no bugs-they almost seem to be filter feeding in your pictures
oh I did give that frag a quick adjusted freshwater dip before the qt-sorry no id from me

OP
OP
mikelugositattoo

mikelugositattoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After looking at those pictures, hydroids is def what they are. The pics dont show them well, but when I look at them through the magnifier, thats exactly what they look like. Thanks!

exbklynguy65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zanclea is what it is I have dealt with this personally. I used Kent coral dip. It solved my issue I had to do everything including my rock it was a mess but it works. Good luck.

Marco Matozo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it in my reef bug, he eliminated two dives in CoralRX.
The second dive was made two days after the first.

FLipp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mike's thread on the fb page!!!! okaaaayy.
hope you got that figured out homie.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back