Any Plans to Test Salt?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have any plans of testing salts in house and keep a log here on the forums?

I've seen IO and ESV done already

I have Red Sea Coral Pro and just want to know if it's a waste to send my sample in since their are so many variables from one person to the next I feel it's gonna be best to do it in a place where all the conditions can be matched. Ex Same RO Same Mix Container and same salinity.

This ^ brings me to the next question does salinity have any effect on the tests the amount of salt per sample?

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This! This this this! Yes!

Maybe we can start a fund for the research? Does Triton US want to take on this challenge? :xd:

I would personally love to see HW MarineMix Reefer, Red Sea Coral Pro, and Reef Crystals.

(PS: If you do, please note the Production Lot of the salt being tested just to add more data)

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys have any plans of testing salts in house and keep a log here on the forums?

I have Red Sea Coral Pro and just want to know if it's a waste to send my sample in since their are so many variables from one person to the next I feel it's gonna be best to do it in a place where all the conditions can be matched. Ex Same RO Same Mix Container and same salinity.

This ^ brings me to the next question does salinity have any effect on the tests the amount of salt per sample?
This is a great idea. I will say, I have been using Redsea Pro for a while, and except for a [email protected] high Molybdenum read, 5× normal, my readings were perfect.

OP
OP
TheReefKeeper

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I JUST HAD AN IDEA!!! LOL

If you guys (Triton US) are not willing to do an in house test may be a forum member can step up and do the testing in one spot with ideal conditions.

I am willing to donate for a pack of 3 Tests 50.00 and I'm sure we can get a few more on board to donate and buy 4 packs of 3 tests to have enough tests on hand to preform the testing. Or May be Triton (Hint,Hint) may be able to get us a deal on a final number of tests to preform these tests :bigsmile:

We could all start a thread with each of us sending 1# of salt to the person testing that way they can all be mixed and tested at the same time same conditions and same variables.

The purpose of the thread would be to insure we all get the person testing the all the salts we want tested and the correct amount of tests on hand before anything is done.

Thoughts any one game?

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting proposals by all..We certainly don't want to dampen anyones' enthusiasm and pursuit of knowledge. However...

The reality is that formally conducting a study of various manufacturer's salt mixes is not something that Triton plans to undertake as an official endeavor.

As those of you with science backgrounds know, to properly conduct tests that yield valuable and accurate information, a very carefully constructed study must be undertaken, with consistent protocols and conditions to assure said accuracy. Also, those conducting the tests must be able to interpret the data and explain it with great accuracy. Remember, you're testing someone else's product, and if you're conducting this type of study and draw incorrect conclusions and publish inaccurate information, not only will you be doing a disservice to the manufacturer, hobby and industry, you will be opening yourself up to possible legal issues and other problems...It's a very slippery slope, as they say.

Yes, Triton can analyze samples of saltwater sent to them from a variety of sources and yield valuable results, but for them to engage in a formal test program of manufacturers' salts and products is not something that makes sense to them at this time.

Perhaps Ehsan could chime in on this...

Thanks,

Scott

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheReefKeeper

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting proposals by all..We certainly don't want to dampen anyones' enthusiasm and pursuit of knowledge. However...

The reality is that formally conducting a study of various manufacturer's salt mixes is not something that Triton plans to undertake as an official endeavor.

As those of you with science backgrounds know, to properly conduct tests that yield valuable and accurate information, a very carefully constructed study must be undertaken, with consistent protocols and conditions to assure said accuracy. Also, those conducting the tests must be able to interpret the data and explain it with great accuracy. Remember, you're testing someone else's product, and if you're conducting this type of study and draw incorrect conclusions and publish inaccurate information, not only will you be doing a disservice to the manufacturer, hobby and industry, you will be opening yourself up to possible legal issues and other problems...It's a very slippery slope, as they say.

Yes, Triton can analyze samples of saltwater sent to them from a variety of sources and yield valuable results, but for them to engage in a formal test program of manufacturers' salts and products is not something that makes sense to them at this time.

Perhaps Ehsan could chime in on this...

Thanks,

Scott

Valid points!!

I guess the best way to do this would be to have the salt companies send in their own samples mixed like they want them mixed so theirs no finger pointing going on hu?

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great idea. I will say, I have been using Redsea Pro for a while, and except for a [email protected] high Molybdenum read, 5× normal, my readings were perfect.

This is why we need this test done I also have used redsea pro. I don't do many water changes but the system was filled with it and the few water changes I did do before the Triton test were with redsea or the redsea coral pro and my Molybdenum is also around 5x normal
It would make it a lot easier on people if they knew some parameter in a certain salt was high and they ccould choose a different salt where that parameter was low to even out their system. The only thing worse than doing water changes is doing water changes that don't make any difference :)

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I JUST HAD AN IDEA!!! LOL

If you guys (Triton US) are not willing to do an in house test may be a forum member can step up and do the testing in one spot with ideal conditions.

I am willing to donate for a pack of 3 Tests 50.00 and I'm sure we can get a few more on board to donate and buy 4 packs of 3 tests to have enough tests on hand to preform the testing. Or May be Triton (Hint,Hint) may be able to get us a deal on a final number of tests to preform these tests :bigsmile:

We could all start a thread with each of us sending 1# of salt to the person testing that way they can all be mixed and tested at the same time same conditions and same variables.

The purpose of the thread would be to insure we all get the person testing the all the salts we want tested and the correct amount of tests on hand before anything is done.

Thoughts any one game?
I'd be willing to donate if someone somewhat qualified or at least eager wants to take on the challenge of mixing all the different salts and sending them off.

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't be as accurate because it would be from different water sources and there would be different people mixing but might give a better general idea if we started a thread for people to post the results of their freshly mixed salt of choice. I'm sure there's quite a few people out there who have already sent in samples of their newly mixed saltwater.

OP
OP
TheReefKeeper

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't be as accurate because it would be from different water sources.

Exactly that's the problem!

IMO Randy Holmes would be our guy :)

I'm not sure what legal ramifications can come out of all this may be for Triton but no one else as they can say Triton is fudging for their favorite salts.

IMO when results are put public they should be posted with a "This is a general test and outcomes and views may be different and in no way are facts" type of statement. We can all draw our own conclusions in some other thread and just have a locked Data thread so no one can bash.

^ is all only if someone is uncomfortable with doing the tests even tho I'm not sure what kind of legal issue would ever hold up in a court.

Any Lawyers here :nerd:

I know a few things have to be done and certain rules followed

Ex.
A bucket Date noted if any date is available
A brand new bucket of salt is opened.
Bucket must be mixed dry
New sterile Gloves
1# bagged and sent off in a double Food grade bag to prevent contamination.

And such you get the idea so all salt gets to the proper destination without contamination.

Last edited:

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why we need this test done I also have used redsea pro. I don't do many water changes but the system was filled with it and the few water changes I did do before the Triton test were with redsea or the redsea coral pro and my Molybdenum is also around 5x normal
It would make it a lot easier on people if they knew some parameter in a certain salt was high and they ccould choose a different salt where that parameter was low to even out their system. The only thing worse than doing water changes is doing water changes that don't make any difference :)
But does a high Molybdenum reading mean that your corals are suffering? My coral are all doing well, lps, sps.....but could they do better with a lower Molybdenum level?? And like you say, if you do water changes with the same brand of salt that is high in molybdenum, you are just chasing your tail?

Last edited:

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people over look things and I also see a lot of people saying everything does fine when some are only surviving and my goal is to have everything thriving. I have a lot of different coral and most do well but some better than others I don't know why but I can only rule out what I can test for or have tested. So it's possible even if you think everything is doing fine in your tank they could do better :)

OP
OP
TheReefKeeper

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of people over look things and I also see a lot of people saying everything does fine when some are only surviving and my goal is to have everything thriving. I have a lot of different coral and most do well but some better than others I don't know why but I can only rule out what I can test for or have tested. So it's possible even if you think everything is doing fine in your tank they could do better :)

After 18+ years in the hobby that's about where I'm at well said Keith!!

We did not have this technology back in the day and if we did it wasn't given available at the hobby level.

If we can educate ourselves and make a decision based on facts rater than "Thought" then I'm in.

I want to choose a salt based on facts rather than claims so I can put one more thing out of the equation if I have issues some day I want to know for a fact it's not my salt. Lets face it their are plenty of other things to go bad LOL.

We use Skimmers because they work and get "FACTS" and rate them from an actually performance standpoint right?

With ^ said I would like to make the same conclusion on the salt I use by doing these tests since it's a fogged are of this hobby.

We will finally have a way to know if a salt is really performing or at least be able to make an educated decsion of what we are putting in our tanks just like choosing the right skimmer.

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm using the Triton system, so it doesn't realy matter what salt I use because after the first water test I correct the salt problems. No more water changes. Then very little salt will be added later. If my first test requires a bunch of water changes then after the water changes I need another test to fix the salt.

If any of the manufacturers would like to submit their salt for the Triton test it would be a big payoff for them. They have their own labs and won't release their test. I have asked.

I heard thru the grapevine Tropic Marine Pro has tested best and was closest to sea water parameters.

Gene

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back