My Results (RSCP tank)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results (discussion to follow):
VG1Vaq1.jpg

A bit about my setup:

Nuvo 24 Tank (roughly 19-20 gal water volume)
Red Sea Coral Pro salt (switching to HW Marine probably)
Dose Brightwell Kalk+2 in ATO
Feed various foods including Rods
Dose KZ Coral Vitalizer, KZ Sponge Power, KZ Zeobak, Phytofeast, and occasionally Kent Iodine
Skimmer, Chemi-Pure Blue, Seagel in Reactor, and sometimes Purigen in a bag

Tests:
I did some tests with the same water I sent off to Triton, here are the results (used Red Sea tests):

RS PO4: 0.06 (This test is notorious for not working very well)
Triton PO4: 0.02

RS calc: 425
Triton calc: 413

RS mag: 1280
Triton mag: 1350

RS K: 446 (very involved test so maybe I made a mistake?)
Triton K: 410

Discussion:
Iodine being low seems odd. I dose it frequently and it seems my tank really consumes it (lots of Zoas, some xenia, and 3 big Gorgonians). I tested the same water on sample day with Red Sea kit and got 0.05 ish. Couple weeks ago I was right on at 0.06 according to Red Sea. Rather odd that my iodine is low and most others are seeing very high.

Vanadium? Where the heck is this coming from?

Aluminum is high. I kind of expected this since I switched from GFO to Seagel (Phosguard) a couple months ago. Anyone have any idea what level would be dangerous? I dislike the fact that GFO leeches Iron (which has been implicated in the clam Pinched Mantle protozoan). Maybe this is also where the Vanadium is coming from?

Overall though I'm very surprised. I expected some nasty elements of some kind that I would freak out about but aside from Vanadium/Aluminum, I seem to be in the clear. :bigsmile:

Last edited:

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test results (discussion to follow):
VG1Vaq1.jpg

A bit about my setup:

Nuvo 24 Tank (roughly 19-20 gal water volume)
Red Sea Coral Pro salt (switching to HW Marine probably)
Dose Brightwell Kalk+2 in ATO
Feed various foods including Rods
Dose KZ Coral Vitalizer, KZ Sponge Power, KZ Zeobak, Phytofeast, and occasionally Kent Iodine
Skimmer, Chemi-Pure Blue, Seagel in Reactor, and sometimes Purigen in a bag

Tests:
I did some tests with the same water I sent off to Triton, here are the results (used Red Sea tests):

RS PO4: 0.06 (This test is notorious for not working very well)
Triton PO4: 0.02

RS calc: 425
Triton calc: 413

RS mag: 1280
Triton mag: 1350

RS K: 446 (very involved test so maybe I made a mistake?)
Triton K: 410

Discussion:
Iodine being low seems odd. I dose it frequently and it seems my tank really consumes it (lots of Zoas, some xenia, and 3 big Gorgonians). I tested the same water on sample day with Red Sea kit and got 0.05 ish. Couple weeks ago I was right on at 0.06 according to Red Sea. Rather odd that my iodine is low and most others are seeing very high.

Vanadium? Where the heck is this coming from?

Aluminum is high. I kind of expected this since I switched from GFO to Seagel (Phosguard) a couple months ago. Anyone have any idea what level would be dangerous? I dislike the fact that GFO leeches Iron (which has been implicated in the clam Pinched Mantle protozoan). Maybe this is also where the Vanadium is coming from?

Overall though I'm very surprised. I expected some nasty elements of some kind that I would freak out about but aside from Vanadium/Aluminum, I seem to be in the clear. :bigsmile:

Great test results! Your dosing KZ Coral Vitalizer, KZ Sponge Power, KZ Zeobak, without knowing whats in these solutions, but you seem to have hit the nail on the head.

Gene

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you got a very good grade on your water. :)

FWIW, iodide is rapidly depleted from most aquaria, especially by macroalgae and microalgae. How long after your last iodine dose was the water measured?

Aluminum becomes very problematic at 0.45 ppm (added all at once). In my tests, it was not a problem at 0.045 ppm. :)

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you got a very good grade on your water. :)

FWIW, iodide is rapidly depleted from most aquaria, especially by macroalgae and microalgae. How long after your last iodine dose was the water measured?

Aluminum becomes very problematic at 0.45 ppm (added all at once). In my tests, it was not a problem at 0.045 ppm. :)

I have a feeling my tank consumes the Iodine I dose rather quickly. I try to dose a little bit every other day.

I am going to try out some PolyFilter and see if that can reduce the Aluminum between the next Triton test. If not, I will need to do the on/off switch with GFO.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my readings there was some discussion that the Phosphate remover should be alternated between and Iron based and Aluminun base to keep these levels in balanced. I don't recall what the recommended duration to alternate was.

Dave B

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why one would not use GFO all the time, rather than alternate with aluminum oxide.

Perhaps some folks have concerns about iron, but it does not appear to be the result of any measurements.

Last edited:

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, It was information that came from Eshan, regarding the over-stripping that the GFO can cause, and to balance that with the Alum based Phosphate remover which over-strips a different element. My memory as to what the 2 different elements were that were being stripped by each method is not clear.

Dave B

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ok, talk about changes.

I sent off a second sample on Nov 28th. Here are the results:

13cUGXV.jpg

So what changed? Well unfortunately quite a bit...

Switch from RSCP salt to HW Marinemix
Switch from 100% Kalk to BRS 2-part + Kalk
Started dosing Zeostart3
Added Polyfilter (Which may explain why aluminum dropped, but could also be the source of the new unwanted metals?)
Some dosing of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (during doser dial-in)
Added Chemi-Pure Blue

OP
OP
Sangheili

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to know what did what.

Why did you switch salts?

Did some research and wanted to try out the synthetic. I would be shocked if it was the source of the metals but I guess its possible. I like the salt but not sure I like all the amino acids and such they add to it. Everytime I add a little of the mixed saltwater to my tank (eg: acclimating new livestock) my ORP shoots down. I guess its good for the animals but i'd rather deliver that stuff in a consistent way via dosing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back