Aquavitro Salinity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

North

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion best salt on the market. I have been using this salt for almost a year now. Pricy but you get what you pay for.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't they have issues after mixing in regards to either ph or salinity dropping if not used right away or something??? saw some of those in threads in various forums.

Steven@

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had any issues with it, and several fellow club members use it and I only hear good things and no concerns... I tried it to see if my tank responds better than Sea Chem Reef Salt... I switched to the complete line of Aquavitro chem including the salt... I don't feel the benefit is worth the hassle of getting the salt from the LFS, so I switched back to Sea Chem reef salt... If I could get it on line I would continue to use it as it may be valuable in the long haul.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't they have issues after mixing in regards to either ph or salinity dropping if not used right away or something??? saw some of those in threads in various forums.

Yes, there was a thread about that a few months after the salt came to market. Somebody had theirs mixing for about a week and either the PH or ALK was way off. I believe they had measured right after mixing and then about a week later when they were getting ready to use the water. Sea Chem's response was the salt should be used within I think a day after mixing. I always use mine within a hour or so, so I don't remember exactly.

Personally I'm getting a phosphate reading with mine. Also another member was showing phosphates after mixing. I can't say for sure if it was the salt since I haven't measured the phosphate in my RO water. Plan to do that the next time I do a water change.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea Chem's response was the salt should be used within I think a day after mixing
with that in mind, I would question, if that's happening while its in the mixer, what happens right after you do the water change ? do you get a drop in quality a week after chaning water already?

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it and really like it. I've been using it about 6 months. Prior to the salinity I used seachem's reef salt. I like the salinity because I like using a salt that mixes quickly and that I can feel confident using pretty quickly after mixing. It does have this unique quality - it warms up the water when you first add it.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with that in mind, I would question, if that's happening while its in the mixer, what happens right after you do the water change ? do you get a drop in quality a week after chaning water already?

I have the same thought. Why wouldn't it do the same thing in the tank?

Also, I guess I'm one of the few that it doesn't mix completely. The water clears really quick but it leaves a bunch of residue in the bottom of my mixing bucket. Didn't have that problem with Red Sea Pro.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I may have responded in the thread when I think the op was asking about whether the salinity had been tested by triton? :) oops....

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I guess I'm one of the few that it doesn't mix completely. The water clears really quick but it leaves a bunch of residue in the bottom of my mixing bucket. Didn't have that problem with Red Sea Pro.
RSS/RSCP, D&D, TMSS/PRO all mixed clear but had residue at the bottom for me always. But my tank and inhabitants were all happy with those various salts. I started from I/O, Kent, RC then moved up to those salt mixes.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 65 gal in a vat and may not use it for weeks. If it sets for more than a week I run a quick Alk and Po4 test before using it and they have always been perfect. I test those two because I have the Hanna checkers for thos . Quick and easy test. Was unaware of anyone having issues with it setting till now, but again I never have. Been on it since it came out. Remember talking to Jim Rodgers about its coming release and was pretty excited. Haven't used anything in my coral system since but have considered switches. Always wondering if I could do better. No reason to be unhappy just always wondering

Last edited:

nazzman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to seachem rep earlier this year at a conference about there salt he talked up the aqua vitro salt but also said their Seachem reef salt has the same numbers but is made in larger batches where as Aqua vitro is made in smaller batches that are tested repeatedly I have used the reef salt 5 years and like it was thinking of going with the salinity but he talked me out of it

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RSS/RSCP, D&D, TMSS/PRO all mixed clear but had residue at the bottom for me always. But my tank and inhabitants were all happy with those various salts. I started from I/O, Kent, RC then moved up to those salt mixes.

I got a couple of 10 gallon sample bags of Fritz salt at a frag swap earlier this year. It mixed clear and no residue for me. I had just bought the big bucket of salinity so I was waiting for it to run out before I tried something else. Not sure what I will try next but most likely won't stick with salinity.

650-IS350

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah around the bay area a bunch of LFS have them was going to go with that salt since a bunch near me carry it, but after a lot of reviews on various forums I opted not to try that salt and opted for another salt instead.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 134 59.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 80 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.1%
Back