Why does Triton need GFO? If I don't

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over 30 fish fed a good amount at least once a day and I don't run any phosphate remover. My triton test confirmed that my phosphate is at 0.02 with next to no water changes and no phosphate absorbing media. So is my refugium more efficient then the triton design or am I missing something?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ask is I'm setting up a new system and would like to do it with the triton method but don't see an advantage to going to a design that needs media to remove phosphate when it's not needed in my current design.

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is my understanding that Triton uses phosphate media to "assist" a fuge. How large is your fuge compared to total water volume?IMO you are the exception to the normal reefer system . Most peoples fuges are not nearly big enough to be effective with nutrient export . Also are you running a skimmer ? If so how big?

I don't think Triton says you have to run GFO, They just have it as another tool at our disposal .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10gal refugium on around a 180gal system and I do have a good skimmer but so does triton. My refugium is smaller than recommend but it's my design that makes it work not the size.

ewelch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more than one way to skin a cat LOL . I say if it is working for you then stick with it.

I hate fuges , and although I am running the "triton method" a fuge will not be part of my system .

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of several Triton users who do not use any phosphate remover, as previously stated it's another weapon in your armoury.

Should you spot the accumulation of certain elements on your ICP then you can use it as a corrective measure, I use a combination a month about. 1 month I will use AL99+Carbon, the next month I use ROWA on it's own. Each different type of remover can also remove other elements on top of phosphates depending on the type.

So it's really driven by the ICP results.

If you don't need it, don't use it...

Tim

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is more than one way to skin a cat LOL . I say if it is working for you then stick with it.

I hate fuges , and although I am running the "triton method" a fuge will not be part of my system .

Your not strictly running the Triton Method then lol...

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I truly don't understand why someone would rather pay money for media They have to replace all the time when you could get the same results plus a few other benefits from a properly set up refugium. But that's your choice and if it works for you and you're happy with it that's great:)

I just think it's interesting that triton does run a refugium and still needs GFO and I'm interested in knowing why they think this is

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of several Triton users who do not use any phosphate remover, as previously stated it's another weapon in your armoury.

Should you spot the accumulation of certain elements on your ICP then you can use it as a corrective measure, I use a combination a month about. 1 month I will use AL99+Carbon, the next month I use ROWA on it's own. Each different type of remover can also remove other elements on top of phosphates depending on the type.

So it's really driven by the ICP results.

If you don't need it, don't use it...

Tim

I can see it being something that is done for removing other elements but I thought it's recommended for removing phosphate as well

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see it being something that is done for removing other elements but I thought it's recommended for removing phosphate as well

It is, it seems that you are lucky enough to have found a way for your fuge to cope with your systems phosphate demand, most peoples doesn't, and for them there is phosphate remover.

Cheers Tim

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No luck here I spent a lot of time testing and researching the best way to grow algae then built a tank to do it in. I think the problem with most peoples refugiums is that they are inefficient for a number of reasons. My refugium has been tested on other systems with the same results as I get. But I really wasn't trying to start a thread on my refugium I wanted to know if there was a reason the good people at Triton went with phosphate remover instead of a different refugium design.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keithcorals do you have a post that talks about how your refugium is set up? I'd be really interested in learning. I have a 180, and a fuge but I'm still running GFO. I'd love to get to a point where I can take that off-line. Sounds like you have a great thing going!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No luck here I spent a lot of time testing and researching the best way to grow algae then built a tank to do it in. I think the problem with most peoples refugiums is that they are inefficient for a number of reasons. My refugium has been tested on other systems with the same results as I get. But I really wasn't trying to start a thread on my refugium I wanted to know if there was a reason the good people at Triton went with phosphate remover instead of a different refugium design.

LOL Sorry to get your thread off-topic. Could you start a thread to share your refugium and post a link in here, then we can all leave you alone about it in this thread. :D :D :D

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure I'll get one going this afternoon and post a link. My fault for mentioning my fuge and my thread title didn't help:) I am truly interested in why triton thinks there refugium design is the way to go the're actually recommending to people to set their systems up that way and I just want to know why they believe there refugium is a good way to go.
The basic idea of the triton method the way I see it is to understand why we are doing what we are doing so I just want to know what the reasoning is for the refugium design.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure I'll get one going this afternoon and post a link. My fault for mentioning my fuge and my thread title didn't help:) I am truly interested in why triton thinks there refugium design is the way to go the're actually recommending to people to set their systems up that way and I just want to know why they believe there refugium is a good way to go.
The basic idea of the triton method the way I see it is to understand why we are doing what we are doing so I just want to know what the reasoning is for the refugium design.

You do not use any other nutrient export methods besides the refugium?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank could be kinda similar to yours with the exception of phosphate. My tank runs too clean on nitrates and I have to use something to help remove phosphate at the moment. I did start dosing kno3 and my cheato started growing rapidly. I'm hoping to someday be able to take the gfo offline. My phosphate got pretty high because I was feeding excessively to try and get some detectable nitrate. The only thing it accomplished was driving my phosphate up. I can't tell you how much phosphate because I don't test for it, but there was plenty.

OP
OP
Keithcorals

Keithcorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not use any other nutrient export methods besides the refugium?

My tank could be kinda similar to yours with the exception of phosphate. My tank runs too clean on nitrates and I have to use something to help remove phosphate at the moment. I did start dosing kno3 and my cheato started growing rapidly. I'm hoping to someday be able to take the gfo offline. My phosphate got pretty high because I was feeding excessively to try and get some detectable nitrate. The only thing it accomplished was driving my phosphate up. I can't tell you how much phosphate because I don't test for it, but there was plenty.

Here you go guys go crazy here https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/eq.../179426-keithcorals-refugium.html#post2059641
I'm happy to answer any questions or discuss all things refugium related in this thread :)
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/eq.../179426-keithcorals-refugium.html#post2059641

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back