Tanner's Results

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

tgbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have received my results but not sure what to do next. The most surprising to me was the elevated copper. I will get some poly-filter; hopefully it will take care of some of the other elevated heavy metals as well. The system has been setup for almost 3 years and I have never really been able to get it to what I consider thrive. The few LPS and softies I have do well but I’ve had my fair share of SPS issues in the past. They seem to do well initially, good color and growth for the first couple of months followed by a steady decline. All tests come back normal and the main parameters are kept stable with my calcium reactor. Currently the tank is doing well; all SPS and other corals are showing good growth and color. There are a few pieces that are even rebounding from the last “bad spellâ€. I do have some cyano and brown algae that were kicked off by a wandering anemone followed by the loss of my return pump for a week. Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.
System Details.
160G total water volume
Mainly SPS ~25 frags/mini colonies,few LSP (euphyllia), couple leathers, and 12 fish.
115g Display (48 x 28 x 20)
75g sump - run half ful
20g refugium with cheato, grows steady but not overly fast.
Spectrapure MaxCap 90 with extra chloramine filter
Lifereef SV2-24 skimmer
ASD calcium reactor running ARM extra course media, secondary chamber running ARM aragonite
ATI 10x39w powermodule
Maxspect Gyre
Reeflo Swordtail as return connected to Vertex Mocean
Tunze ATO
½ cup BRS lignite carbon used passively in sump

Dosing

Use IO salt, was previously using red sea blue bucket
BRS kalkwasser

Zeovit Products

Using Coral Snow and ZeoZyme with Zeobak and Biomate to help fight off some cyano and brown snot algae. Been using for approximately 2 weeks, algae and cyano has receded, still a few spots hanging around. No other algae problems.

Food

Feed a healthy mix of frozen and pellets, also use oyster feast 3 x week.

Other parameters tested last week.
Alk – 8.5 (hanna)
Cal – 420 (red sea)
PO3 – 0.02 (hanna)
NO3 – 1-2.5ppm (salifert)

dgrigor02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a full 50g IO bag mixed and then tested. I did add my supplements to spike it such as Magnesium, Calcium, Manganese, Iron, little silicate, vandanium & molybdenum to my desired levels.

My test did show a little copper of fresh mixed Instanct Ocean + supplements @ 2.29 ug/l.

So while it's certainly possible a little bit may be coming from the salt, the majority is likely coming from your rock if the tank had ever been medicated or one of your supplements. I guess can't totally rule of your ro/di/ topoff water.

Last edited:

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your zinc and copper levels are much worse than mine were. My copper was 4.10 and my zinc was 16. I know my iodine was way out of whack too so perhaps all 2 together is what nuked my acros, or maybe it was an iodine overdose like I originally thought. I have been focusing on those as my issues, as my acros have recently crashed. Do you run a skimmer?

I'm going to send a test of my fresh mixed water soon as well, I haven't been able to ID a source yet.

What types of food do you feed? Some things can have elevated levels of copper.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also being in a similar boat as you, I have ordered the triton maintenance 4 part, triton detox, and I did a group buy on triton tests as I have some work ahead of me.

OP
OP
tgbaby

tgbaby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while it's certainly possible a little bit may be coming from the salt, the majority is likely coming from your rock if the tank had ever been medicated or one of your supplements. I guess can't totally rule of your ro/di/ topoff water.

I've never medicated the tank and all the rock in the tank was started from dead Marco bought directly from him.

I am going to send in a sample of water straight out of my RO/DI to see if that's the cause.

Since there isn't a lot of info on what's actually in the Zeo products I can't rule them out but I wouldn't think they are the culprit.

I will make sure to post the source water results once I get them. Unfortunately I think Triton isn't tasting for the next month so I'll have to wait awhile.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Hikari and PE mysis, Oyster Feast, ocean nutrition pellets and flakes, and nori. Have you heard anything about these products in particular?

My thread might give you some good info. There are a couple links from Randy talking about copper from additives and copper from foods. Although yours is higher than mine was, I did a ton of water changes prior to taking my sample, and I suspect my actual results would have been more in line with yours. Except my iodine would have been much much higher. Heres a link https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/triton-us/183815-my-triton-results.html

Back