Using Triton to shed some light on finicky zoanthids?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it often that some people have zoas and palys growing like mad while others can't even keep them alive.

It would be interesting to see the results of tanks that can grow zoas and tanks that can't grow zoas. This could shed some light on what the zoanthids are using and why they melt or just won't grow at times.

Please share any input, results, tests, etc.

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it often that some people have zoas and palys growing like mad while others can't even keep them alive.

It would be interesting to see the results of tanks that can grow zoas and tanks that can't grow zoas. This could shed some light on what the zoanthids are using and why they melt or just won't grow at times.

Please share any input, results, tests, etc.

This is the kind of cool, collaborative research that reefers can do with Triton. Sure, it won't have the precision of a perfectly designed science experiment, but if enough successful (or unsuccessful) zoa fans report similar conditions i their systems, it could be an interesting anecdotal set of data that can be looked at further. Would like to see more of these kinds of things...The accuracy of the ICP-OES test can perhaps shed new light on some of the requirements of different species of corals in captivity...

OP
OP
KoleTang

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. Since many people are getting Triton tests done on their tanks, there should more use of the data as a whole.

Let's see some posts. Just post your Triton results along with observations of how zoanthids fair in your tank.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing with this is that I think that the specific zoa (not the strain... I mean the cut, how many on the frag, length of time between being healed and placed into another tank with different parameters, etc) have more to do with which zoas survive or melt. I could be wrong but I think that specific parameters have less to do with this. I have seen many people post that "Clementines don't do well for me so I won't try them again"... Well news flash, they don't do well in most cases as far as I've seen on the boards, and those that have them doing well, may have a different strain that is just similar, or maybe they just haven't had them long enough yet to get to that magical point where they all melt...

I think it is well known that tanks that have less dissolved nutrients don't grow them quite as well. I would suspect that since there is no type of Ca building going on, that levels of Ca, Alk, Mg and other elements are of little value either way.

So this is a tough thing to try to compile results about. I have many many zoas that all do well, but every now and then something causes a new addition to melt. Or an old one to melt. Or I move a colony and that causes it to decline. But generally 9 out of 10 frags I get, turn into colonies.

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing with this is that I think that the specific zoa (not the strain... I mean the cut, how many on the frag, length of time between being healed and placed into another tank with different parameters, etc) have more to do with which zoas survive or melt. I could be wrong but I think that specific parameters have less to do with this. I have seen many people post that "Clementines don't do well for me so I won't try them again"... Well news flash, they don't do well in most cases as far as I've seen on the boards, and those that have them doing well, may have a different strain that is just similar, or maybe they just haven't had them long enough yet to get to that magical point where they all melt...

I think it is well known that tanks that have less dissolved nutrients don't grow them quite as well. I would suspect that since there is no type of Ca building going on, that levels of Ca, Alk, Mg and other elements are of little value either way.

So this is a tough thing to try to compile results about. I have many many zoas that all do well, but every now and then something causes a new addition to melt. Or an old one to melt. Or I move a colony and that causes it to decline. But generally 9 out of 10 frags I get, turn into colonies.

Very good points. I think one interesting parameter might be Magnesium. I had issues with some Hawaiian PE's until I raised my magnesium a bit and they all opened up fat and healthy.

Robert_ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Red sea did their research and they state that all corals use all elements in the same ratio as all others. I was told this at max 2 years ago by red sea themselves. Say an sps uses 100g of cal a day (numbers not exact just for ease of use and explanation), so 100g cal 50g alk and 25g mag then all other coral use the same ratio. So a zoa may use 50g cal 25g alk and 12.5g mag. I think it may have to do with the odd trace elements that 99% of people don't dose IF the actual trace elements are to blame for tank to tank results.

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea did their research and they state that all corals use all elements in the same ratio as all others. I was told this at max 2 years ago by red sea themselves. Say an sps uses 100g of cal a day (numbers not exact just for ease of use and explanation), so 100g cal 50g alk and 25g mag then all other coral use the same ratio. So a zoa may use 50g cal 25g alk and 12.5g mag. I think it may have to do with the odd trace elements that 99% of people don't dose IF the actual trace elements are to blame for tank to tank results.

Eh, not the case from my research. An article from RHF about Magnesium that stated Coralline Algae and Gorgonians consume Magnesium at a much higher ratio then other corals.

Give this a read: Aquarium Chemistry: Magnesium In Reef Aquaria ? Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only makes sense (unscientifically) that different types of coral would use different ratios of all elements. Even acro for acro. Some break very easy, others are nearly impossible to cut. Take green slimer for instance. Very easy to cut with bone cutters. Exquisita acro (Forgive me I'm not much with scientific names) is very hard to cut a similar sized piece. I'm sure that the structure itself plays a part but I can't see every Ca skeleton being 100% exactly the same make up as another.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back