mangroves

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

joefishUC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there room in the triton method for mangroves if so would they be first in the chain just like the algae scrubber?

There certainly is! Any algae or plant that consumes nutrients is welcome in the algae filter. For reasons of simplicity and maintenance, chaeto and other macro algae is preferred but you can certainly use mangroves if you like the way they look. I would use a combination of all of these plants/algae to make it a diverse filter.

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there @High Plains Reefer, I just wanted to bump this thread and see if you had any luck with Mangroves in your Triton setup?

I have a "fish room" and have a plan to a have a second refugium with a few mangroves just for fun. This would be plumbed off the return manifold so the "algae garden" would still get first dibs at nutrients. Anyone else have any experience with mangroves in the Triton method?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran Triton on my 300 gallon system, I had a several mangroves in the fuge. They showed great growth, though I tempered my expectations because everyone said they grow so slowly. There are some pictures below. I still have about seven or eight of them in a shallow DT thats running in the fish room. The shots below are about three months apart.

20160428_200724.jpg
20160428_200740.jpg
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0005.JPG

JustinFromAL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neat! Thanks! Yeah, I'm not expecting them to grow fast/be huge nutrient sponges, I 'd just like to have a few. My fish room doubles as my wifes greenhouse during the winter and it just makes sense to have a little "mangrove wall" dividing our two mutual hobbies.

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my fuge with an HPS FloraLux light (150w MH)... and the growth in the fuge (including the mangroves) was rediculous. If you can swing that kind of fixture, its 100% worth it.

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those will likely work just as well - lots of people use those lights with good results. I have a bunch of horticulture shops near me, and the fixture was clearanced for $40, so it was worth a shot. Oddly enough, the HPS light was what Dennis (d2mini) ran on his big tank for the fuge tank. I dont notice the heat, since its only a 150w, but my fuge wasnt around the tank. Good luck with it though!

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason why Mangroves would not work with Triton. In fact, they'd probably do better than in a non-triton tank.
Just remember that they are more ornamental than anything else.
I used to have a forest of 50 propagules and even that didn't do much as far as nutrient removal.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran my fuge with an HPS FloraLux light (150w MH)... and the growth in the fuge (including the mangroves) was rediculous. If you can swing that kind of fixture, its 100% worth it.
That's what I had on the last tank and this time I'm running the Mars Hydro 300 from Amazon.
It actual beats the HPS and with less heat. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back