How well do you know your corals? Really?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ask 20 different reefers why they are in this hobby, there’s a great chance that you’ll get 20 different answers in the process.

Some will tell you that they just love the way saltwater fishes and coral look. Others will tell you that they just want to have a replica of the reef that they saw when they were in Fiji. Other’s will tell you that they love messing with all the new gadgets! Certain reefers with messed up priorities will tell you that they set up their reef to impress members of the opposite sex..

For many of us, however, what got us into reefkeeping was the corals! Corals are compelling, interesting, challenging, frustrating, and most are undeniably beautiful...Some of us nut-jobs even ended up abandoning all common sense and do this stuff for a living!

There’s just something relaxing, inspiring, and just plain amazing about watching our reef tanks.

UC1andhalfinch-rainbow-acan-58.jpg

Think about this for a minute, as you ponder your deciscion wether to purchase the “Tyree Bubblegum Monster†or the “Oregon Tort.â€: How well do you really know your corals?

You’ve probably already figured out that your “Watermelon Chalice†is a pretty coral that comes from the genus Echinophyllia. You probably know it, like most “Chalice†corals, doesn’t like bright light. Yet, have you really thought about just why that is? What environment does it come from in nature? What does it eat? Does it coexist with other coral in this ecological niche? Which ones?

Maybe not, because you “know what you need to know†about the coral and are content with that. And that’s ok...

5inch-deepwater-aussie-acro-228.jpg

However, one of the best things we can do as hobbyists is to really get to know our corals. By “knowâ€, I’m not just talking about being aware that your Acropora millepora comes from the Indo Pacific. I’m talking about really learning about the coral and it’s needs. With a few pleasant hours of research, you can gain an amazing insight into your coral. Spending quality time on a scientific site can help take your understanding of your corals to a whole new level.

Not only can you find out more about the coral’s physiology, you can research things which can help you more accurately replicate their natural diet. You can also find data about where various type specimens were collected. Valuable information like depth, habitat, time of year, and water temperature. All of these details can really help you in your efforts to create the best possible captive situation for your corals.

Beyond simply researching the corals, you could take it to another level and actually visit them on the wild reef. Trust me, getting SCUBA certified was one of the best things this stubborn surfer ever did. Nothing I have done previously has given me a greater understanding of corals and reefs than going out and seeing them in their natural habitat!

As a dive-certified fish geek, you separate yourself from all of the other hapless masses of clueless recreational divers and have a chance to really contribute to the body of knowledge of the reefs. When everyone else is busy looking at that big dumb grouper or boring old shark, you’ll no doubt be drawn to that tiny Cespitularia poking out of the coral rubble! Alright, you might make a lousy dive buddy, but you’ll be a keen observer of nature!

Not only will you gain a greater appreciation for the delicate nature of the reef environment, you’ll be able to more accurately replicate (or in some cases decide that you can’t replicate) the environmental niche from which your coral comes.

4inch-aussie-symphyllia-valenciennessi-128.jpg

Seeing corals in the wild give you insights, which may help you and other aquarists unlock their secrets — perhaps leading to further breakthroughs in their husbandry and captive propagation. Anything that we can do to help protect wild populations and preserve the reefs is certainly worth the time and effort.

Last, but certainly not least, you can take your hard-won knowledge and really get to help others — and ourselves — by sharing. Not just passing on a book recommendation or a thread from a R2R discussion. I’m talking about telling your fellow hobbyists just what you know and how you do it! Contribute to the body of knowledge out there in the hobby. Write a blog, attend a local reef club meeting, or start a club if none exist in your area. Travel to MACNA and spend a weekend talking corals with other fanatics. Write about your experiences or help a beginner. If you’ve totally lost it, like me, you’ll end up jetting around the country sharing your knowledge with any other crazy fish geeks who will listen.

The bottom line here is that there are lots of ways to really get to know your corals. And the best part is that pretty much every one of them will benefit ourselves, our fellow hobbyists, and most important — the corals themselves.

So next time you stare in at that hot new Acanthastrea on the uniquecorals.com site, don’t just read our two-paragraph description of the coral. Go a bit further..take the time to really get to know the coral!

Stay wet.

Scott Fellman

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some excellent sites on the Web that I have visited to determine genus/species distribution, depths found, status, skeletal closeups, pics of differing morphologies, etc. Interesting and useful information, for sure!

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up, I do believe that you dont really know all that much about corals till you see them in the wild. As an example i have been to Fiji a couple of times and it amazes me where i find certain corals. Some examples ive seen chalice corals actually growing over acropora in 10' of water. Ive also seen so called deepwater sps corals growing in huge thickets in 2' of water. The general rule for how to care for most corals applies, but there are always exceptions. In nature i think its more of an adapt to where you settle out and survive or die. I also use my pictures from my dive trips to try and aquascape my tank realistically as possible

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up, I do believe that you dont really know all that much about corals till you see them in the wild. As an example i have been to Fiji a couple of times and it amazes me where i find certain corals. Some examples ive seen chalice corals actually growing over acropora in 10' of water. Ive also seen so called deepwater sps corals growing in huge thickets in 2' of water. The general rule for how to care for most corals applies, but there are always exceptions. In nature i think its more of an adapt to where you settle out and survive or die. I also use my pictures from my dive trips to try and aquascape my tank realistically as possible

Agreed with your thoughts...It's one thing to look at them in a reef aquarium- quite another to see them in the wild. On the other hand, even careful observations in an aquarium are helpful..It's all about learning and sharing.

-Scott

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with your thoughts...It's one thing to look at them in a reef aquarium- quite another to see them in the wild. On the other hand, even careful observations in an aquarium are helpful..It's all about learning and sharing.

-Scott

I had the opportunity to spend 4 years and many trips snorkeling the same patches of undisturbed inshore reef in the Indo Pacific. Most aquarists have no idea how thick the daily plankton blooms can get (can't see 3 ft, sometimes) and just how much food is actually available to the reef animals.

Unfortunately, the reef areas I frequented no longer exist as such due to a foreign owned cement factory wiping out virtually everything ;(

-Ralph.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the opportunity to spend 4 years and many trips snorkeling the same patches of undisturbed inshore reef in the Indo Pacific. Most aquarists have no idea how thick the daily plankton blooms can get (can't see 3 ft, sometimes) and just how much food is actually available to the reef animals.

Unfortunately, the reef areas I frequented no longer exist as such due to a foreign owned cement factory wiping out virtually everything ;(

-Ralph.

So true...And I recall vividly the sheer amounts of macrolagae, like the nasty Dictyota and others, that covered the rocks around many of the reefs I've dove in the TWA and Caribbean...Imagine trying to replicate THAT in our reef tanks, LOL!

-Scott

-Ralph.[/QUOTE]

schminksbro

Guardian of The Blue Glow
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a year diving up the east coast of Australia from Byron Bay and the Whitsunday Islands bouncing all the way up the reef as high as Cape Trib and on to Cape York. I logged over 100 dives and I would recommend it to anyone! I have also logged a few dives in Curacao. The Caribbean is okay but nothing like the coral sea!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent a year diving up the east coast of Australia from Byron Bay and the Whitsunday Islands bouncing all the way up the reef as high as Cape Trib and on to Cape York. I logged over 100 dives and I would recommend it to anyone! I have also logged a few dives in Curacao. The Caribbean is okay but nothing like the coral sea!

That's amazing country..and reefs! I like the Caribbean, paricularly Cozumel and Roatan, but there is no beating the Indo Pacific..agreed!

-Scott

Back