More Fun with Scolys..here come the grafts!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Sorry to have been a bit absent yesterday, but we were a bit crazy after Reefapalooza and our Columbus Day Sale! Had the usual out-of-town reef celebrity friends dropping by our facility, including Tony Vargas, Marc Tetrault from Marco Rock, Ike Eichenbride from Ecoxotic, and my personal favorite coral mad scientist, Justin Credabel from ReefGen!

Of course, Justin is a coral geek through and through, and about as knowledgable about fragging and propagation as anyone on the planet,and when I told him about my Scoly experiments, it took almost no effort to convince him to join me at the saws for a session of Scoly fragging! Watching him at work is almost zen-like; the guy is a great resource and one of the most creative people in the coral world. It should come as no surprise, then, that we decided to not just frag some Scolys, but to make some grafted ones this time!

Here were today's subjects:

photo-23.JPG

Perhaps a bit run-of-the-mill, but once they are grafted, it opens up a lot of cool possibilities!

Justin at the saw is a study in relaxed confidene. He moves fluid-like and efficiently...And apparently in zero-gravity, because I couldn't get this photo rotated properly from my iPhone! Sorry!

photo-22.jpg

After a few minutes, we had our cuts, made simply and cleanly right down the middle. The theory is that when you secure the two halves together, there will be some sharing of genetic material, and perhaps some color pattern transference.

photo-25.jpg

The fragments were "milled" a bit for a more-or-less clean "fit"

photo-26.JPG

The idea today was to select specimens with widely contrasting patterns and colors to see if we get a true graft. Since they are all Scolymia australis, we felt that we have a good chance of achieving success. Justin feels that Scolys are an excellent candidate for this type of project, and has had considerable experience making Scoly frags. The information he provided will give us much greater confidence to continue fragging Scolys, with the potential to acheive that coveted end result of less expensive propagated Scolys a reality!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cuts fit neatly together, and the fun really started after that!

photo-28.jpg

Justin noted that, when you're doing a graft, it's a good idea to glue them towards the base, which leaves a little gap between the two halves. This allows more water flow between the specimens, lessening the chances for infection, as well as providing a clean view of the healing process.

And here are the results! We think that these might be actually marketable in just a few weeks, with signs of grafting (color transference) becoming evident within the month. We'll keep updating on this!

photo-27.jpg

Again, it's just small steps towards a goal. However, at Unique Corals, we are committed to using our best resources to try to do things that make this hoby more fun and interesting, and we're glad to have yo along for the ride!

Have a great day!

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

Rob&Gab

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man this is so cool if your able to do this i can just think of the different ways you can do 1/4th's and make a really crazy colored one! keep the updates running!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, we're actually pretty excited about the possibilities...Rob and Gab, what a cool idea about doing fourths! LOL

We will keep updating and let you know how our Scoly experiments play out. Perhaps these grafted specimens will be available for purchase in the near future.

-Scott

Scoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will heal. I've got one that has been fraged from another vender from so cal, they called it frankenscoly. I should they CAN heal!

zibba

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to meet you guys at RaP -- following along! Thanks for documenting this.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back