Scoly Graft Updates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

If you've been following our "Grafted" Scoly thread, I thought you might want to see these updates...

Here are two of the specimens that Justin from ReefGen and I made last week. The healing is progressing remarkably, and they are doing great! It will obviously be a while before we see the first signs of color transfer (if it happens). However, the healing is progressing quickly enough that we can say that they are out of the "danger zone" and are potentially even marketable within the next couple of weeks, which is exactly the timeframe that Justin postulated when we were making these specimens.

Unfortunately, I took these photos with my iPhone, and I'm anything but skilled, so the colors are a bit off. Regardless, you can see fairly clearly that the healing is well underway!

photo-30.jpg

Leaving the slight "gap" and gluing the corals together from the bottom skeleton has definitely assisted in the healing process.The theory being that the gap allows for water to reach the "boundry areas" of the coral tissue for good gas exchange, cleanliness, and more rapid healing. Judging by the look of the areas that were cut, I'd say that we're well on the way! This is really rapid! You can clearly (ok, maybe not) see that the "harshness" of the incision areas have definitely "rounded off" with fresh tissue growth, and there is no "warfare" evident between the coral halves.

photo-31.jpg

The "Warpaint/Green" combo is really interesting, because the gap closed very quickly between the two halves, with minimum signs of residual trauma to the corals (I guess we have to call it "THE" coral now, right? Hmm...). What will be interesting to note will be if there are particular varieties that lend themselves better to grafting (i.e.; which ones have a higher likelihood of sharing color materials), although it may simply boil down to the individual.

Anyhow, we reiterate once again that this is not a great achievement in reef keeping, but it is a lot of fun, and the information gleaned from these crude experiments has already yielded interesting information about fragging and propagating these corals that may lead to less expensive, more unusual specimens for the hobby in the very near future.

photo-29.jpg

I'll try to get more/better quality photos of these and the other specimens up in the next day or so. Just thought you might enjoy seeing the progress thus far, so these "quick and dirty" pics give you some idea!

Thanks for the interest!

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are going to look awesome if the actually graft. Thanks for the update.:bigsmile:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like that last one! I'm following along. Should I follow this thread or the other one you mentioned?

RainbowReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!!!! I would like to ask though if they are growing together or just healing individually and can tolerate touching the other half? Almost like an acan touching another acan? Hard to tell from the pictures but really exciting to see either way!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!!!! I would like to ask though if they are growing together or just healing individually and can tolerate touching the other half? Almost like an acan touching another acan? Hard to tell from the pictures but really exciting to see either way!

Yes, good observation. If we look under magnification, they appear to be "growing into" each other in some areas of the tissue..Time will really tell! We'll keep updating to verify this!

-Scott

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this works well. I have a war paint and a UFO scoly I want to do this with but wanted to see someone else with success first.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, I want to see 2 master scolys grafted

LOL- Yeah, I'd like to see two legitimate Master Scolys come through before the end of the year first! I think I'd probably want to frag them before trying to graft them...How cool would that be...It's a big risk, but the benefit to the hobbyist could be great...Imagine a more affordable Master Scoly?

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get some updated pics asap...Looks like two of the attempts have a chance..the others appear to be healing as individuals...

Tank2379

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever happened to the progress of these Grafts? Did they fully heal? Did they sell? Did they final form a mouth in the center?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever happened to the progress of these Grafts? Did they fully heal? Did they sell? Did they final form a mouth in the center?

The progress was mixed... Three of the grafts appeared to take, formed central mouths, and did okay. Each found a new home. The rest either healed but did not take on a central mouth, or deteriorated. We will keep experimenting, but we are still not 100% certain what can result in the grafts "taking" more quickly/successfully...an ongoing experiment, I suppose!

-Scott

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 74 78.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.5%
  • Other

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back