A brief discussion about "Coral-nomics"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel if Im gonna pay a little extra Id prefer it be something thats been in captivity for a while and been grown out over time. I like the old stuff thats not exactly green slimmer but you can still find it if you look hard enough or wait patiently. Customer service goes a long way too and that includes being active on the forums and interacting with your customers. I love reading your articles Scott, I wish more vendors would come play with us once in a while :)

I agree with you as a consumer, of sure!

Glad you like these pieces; it's way more fun to interact with our customers than to talk at them, just hyping the latest corals...Guess what? News flash! Unique Corals has a website! Go there to check out coral for sale! Come here to say hi and join in some lively reef discussions!

Woosh!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way. I see quite alot of vendor worship for narcissistic vendors who think they are gods gift to
coral hobbyist. But hey, you see that in every aspect of life. One thing for sure, this hobby never grows old for me. And everyday I look forward to viewing
beautifully, over saturated, overpriced corals. With the hopes of one day, owning every single one of them. :)

"...C'mon- the first one is free..."

-Scott

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great article, and one that's always hard to explain. There's just too many variables when it comes to pricing livestock in this hobby. Not everything can be priced with a straight forward calculation.

Let's use this zoa colony on outrageouslyawesomecorals.com for an example. There's about 50 polyps for $158.
4inch-ultra-palyfest-158.jpg

So by my math, that's 158/50 = $3.16 each zoa on this colony costs. That means hey! If you charge more than $3.16 for a polyp, which is what each polyp cost you, you're ripping people off! Or even if you sell them at $10pp, you're charging more than 2x per polyp now. What a rip off, go start a business or something if you're thinking of charging that much.

I learned that there's a difference between affordable and cheap. Buying one polyp of the zoa for $10 is affordable. It's within the budget range that anyone can buy one of these. Cheap would be just buying the whole colony at $158, which would make the polyps at $3.16 vs $10. But then again not everyone has a need or the funds to buy the whole colony. When you frag a colony it takes time, effort, and of course there are always casualties. So then after fragging you wait for about 1-2 weeks before you can share anything and you're no longer looking at 50 polyps anymore and the time and effort to care for them isn't free. Because even if you have 50 polyps at $10 each and hypothetically can make $500, do you really have 50 different customers to sell to? Most likely about 10 of these frags are going to go out in the span of a month. Well hey, now you're still short another $58.

That's why some places would rather sell a whole colony vs frag and sell it. Do people honestly think these mari pieces were meant to stay on those clay pucks and bridnest frags? The whole purpose of those pucks are to be fragged. But I guess it's a no no if a hobbiest was able to buy one of these pucks and sell the polyps. If it's such a no no, why do places sell frag plugs, frag glue, frag racks, frag tanks, frag tools, and even colonies of anything?

And let's just say you found this whole colony of acans (which is a really amazing find btw!) for $200 at the LFS.
106723d1385054327-brief-discussion-about-coral-nomics-ucthe-uc-halo-acan-128-two-polyp-frag-inventory-2.jpg

And let's say you also found a very similar sized piece of this one for $200 as well.
green-monster-macro.jpg

There's about 20 heads on each colony, and both cost $200. So then that means both are equal in value and should be both sold for roughly $10 a head right?

Just because the price was the same for the much nicer acan does not mean that is has to be sold at the same price as the green and purple one. In my opinion, how much the colony cost does not reflect on how much you should price it. And this is a good example.

If you only use the example of how much something cost you, then let's say use these infamous zoas as an example. The going price on these is apparently $1000pp (really? that's just outrageous). So what if you stroll by your LFS and find this puck for $150? There's about 10-12 polyps on here so that mean you have to sell them for about $15pp or else you're no longer a hobbiest and you should just open a business and be a vendor. Really? Do you HAVE to only sell them for $15pp just to not get flamed? Just to still be called a hobbiest and not be looked at someone who only wants to make big bucks? At that point, what if you decide it's just not worth it to sell them and decide to keep them all? I'm pretty sure those who told you that you should HAVE to sell them at $15pp or else you're no longer a hobbiest will definitely switch their minds and come back saying "Hey... how about for $50? Or even $100???" You know why? Because there are a lot of people who understand the value of what certain corals go for but when it's in someone else's hands they talk smack until you bend over for them.
IMG_2360_zpscd7c4332.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the guy who picked up the Krakatoas for $150 should sell them for $1000pp. But he'd be taken advantage if he had to sell them at $15pp just so he can remain a hobbiest. There's definitely a crazy side, which is hyping. Krakatoas along with flaming turdhicans/rainbow mauls are a good example. I doubt anyone would have wanted to pay more than $70pp on either of those morphs if they never saw the price. High price for some reason makes people think that it's more valuable. Another example are those spectrum overdoses. People complain about $200pp on those because of their availabilty rather than how nice it was. But then they're fine shelling $200 for a "Bowser" which is almost the same as a CAR because it's slow growing and finicky? Well slow growing and finicky SUCKS! Why would you want that??? The Spectrums had more orange and had almost every quality above a Bowser. And yet for some reason people want to pay $200 for a "lineaged" less colorful Bowser than $200 on an obviously much nicer morph.

Didn't expect to rant so much, but I guess it fits with the topic. :tongue:

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u clear some messages? I want to pm u about Mikey lol would like to buy, but have a question about if u gave what I'm looking for.

Great article

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great topic!

Like many reef keepers I have a few of these 'LE' pieces from way back. Almost all are 'Tyree LE' which I always found amusing and I had the fortune of getting small frags via trades or at very reasonable prices from fellow reefers. One good thing about the LE designation is that it was an indicator, at least, that the coral was hardy enough to be readily propagated and that it's basic needs were well known.

Personally, I have no problem with a vendor selling a 'ultra LE red/green/blue/purple/rainbow/psychedelic Gobsmackerredunculusness Zoanthid polyp' for $1000.00. I may chuckle and break out in fits of laughter at the ridiculus (to me) price and the silly name, but as a customer that's my prerogative. Ultimately, it's up to the consumer to judge if something is 'worth it'...and walk away if it's not.

I also feel very strongly that price should not dictate the enjoyment of any particular animal. As an example, my cheapest purchased coral was a little colony of small, neon green/blue centered Zoanthus vietnamensis? from a LFS for $5...and the most expensive a truly impressive 'Ultra Lobophyllia' from Unique for $80. To me, both are spectacular in their own right and both help to make the tank more enjoyable.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great article, and one that's always hard to explain. There's just too many variables when it comes to pricing livestock in this hobby. Not everything can be priced with a straight forward calculation.

Let's use this zoa colony on outrageouslyawesomecorals.com for an example. There's about 50 polyps for $158.
4inch-ultra-palyfest-158.jpg

So by my math, that's 158/50 = $3.16 each zoa on this colony costs. That means hey! If you charge more than $3.16 for a polyp, which is what each polyp cost you, you're ripping people off! Or even if you sell them at $10pp, you're charging more than 2x per polyp now. What a rip off, go start a business or something if you're thinking of charging that much.

I learned that there's a difference between affordable and cheap. Buying one polyp of the zoa for $10 is affordable. It's within the budget range that anyone can buy one of these. Cheap would be just buying the whole colony at $158, which would make the polyps at $3.16 vs $10. But then again not everyone has a need or the funds to buy the whole colony. When you frag a colony it takes time, effort, and of course there are always casualties. So then after fragging you wait for about 1-2 weeks before you can share anything and you're no longer looking at 50 polyps anymore and the time and effort to care for them isn't free. Because even if you have 50 polyps at $10 each and hypothetically can make $500, do you really have 50 different customers to sell to? Most likely about 10 of these frags are going to go out in the span of a month. Well hey, now you're still short another $58.

That's why some places would rather sell a whole colony vs frag and sell it. Do people honestly think these mari pieces were meant to stay on those clay pucks and bridnest frags? The whole purpose of those pucks are to be fragged. But I guess it's a no no if a hobbiest was able to buy one of these pucks and sell the polyps. If it's such a no no, why do places sell frag plugs, frag glue, frag racks, frag tanks, frag tools, and even colonies of anything?

And let's just say you found this whole colony of acans (which is a really amazing find btw!) for $200 at the LFS.
106723d1385054327-brief-discussion-about-coral-nomics-ucthe-uc-halo-acan-128-two-polyp-frag-inventory-2.jpg

And let's say you also found a very similar sized piece of this one for $200 as well.
green-monster-macro.jpg

There's about 20 heads on each colony, and both cost $200. So then that means both are equal in value and should be both sold for roughly $10 a head right?

Just because the price was the same for the much nicer acan does not mean that is has to be sold at the same price as the green and purple one. In my opinion, how much the colony cost does not reflect on how much you should price it. And this is a good example.

If you only use the example of how much something cost you, then let's say use these infamous zoas as an example. The going price on these is apparently $1000pp (really? that's just outrageous). So what if you stroll by your LFS and find this puck for $150? There's about 10-12 polyps on here so that mean you have to sell them for about $15pp or else you're no longer a hobbiest and you should just open a business and be a vendor. Really? Do you HAVE to only sell them for $15pp just to not get flamed? Just to still be called a hobbiest and not be looked at someone who only wants to make big bucks? At that point, what if you decide it's just not worth it to sell them and decide to keep them all? I'm pretty sure those who told you that you should HAVE to sell them at $15pp or else you're no longer a hobbiest will definitely switch their minds and come back saying "Hey... how about for $50? Or even $100???" You know why? Because there are a lot of people who understand the value of what certain corals go for but when it's in someone else's hands they talk smack until you bend over for them.
IMG_2360_zpscd7c4332.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the guy who picked up the Krakatoas for $150 should sell them for $1000pp. But he'd be taken advantage if he had to sell them at $15pp just so he can remain a hobbiest. There's definitely a crazy side, which is hyping. Krakatoas along with flaming turdhicans/rainbow mauls are a good example. I doubt anyone would have wanted to pay more than $70pp on either of those morphs if they never saw the price. High price for some reason makes people think that it's more valuable. Another example are those spectrum overdoses. People complain about $200pp on those because of their availabilty rather than how nice it was. But then they're fine shelling $200 for a "Bowser" which is almost the same as a CAR because it's slow growing and finicky? Well slow growing and finicky SUCKS! Why would you want that??? The Spectrums had more orange and had almost every quality above a Bowser. And yet for some reason people want to pay $200 for a "lineaged" less colorful Bowser than $200 on an obviously much nicer morph.

Didn't expect to rant so much, but I guess it fits with the topic. :tongue:

Awesome stuff...You touch on the subjective aspects of pricing well...So many variables!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can u clear some messages? I want to pm u about Mikey lol would like to buy, but have a question about if u gave what I'm looking for.

Great article

I think the R2R Gremlins are lurking in my inbox...Cleared it out yesterday...weird!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great topic!

Like many reef keepers I have a few of these 'LE' pieces from way back. Almost all are 'Tyree LE' which I always found amusing and I had the fortune of getting small frags via trades or at very reasonable prices from fellow reefers. One good thing about the LE designation is that it was an indicator, at least, that the coral was hardy enough to be readily propagated and that it's basic needs were well known.

Personally, I have no problem with a vendor selling a 'ultra LE red/green/blue/purple/rainbow/psychedelic Gobsmackerredunculusness Zoanthid polyp' for $1000.00. I may chuckle and break out in fits of laughter at the ridiculus (to me) price and the silly name, but as a customer that's my prerogative. Ultimately, it's up to the consumer to judge if something is 'worth it'...and walk away if it's not.

I also feel very strongly that price should not dictate the enjoyment of any particular animal. As an example, my cheapest purchased coral was a little colony of small, neon green/blue centered Zoanthus vietnamensis? from a LFS for $5...and the most expensive a truly impressive 'Ultra Lobophyllia' from Unique for $80. To me, both are spectacular in their own right and both help to make the tank more enjoyable.

Very well said!

-Scott

Jay6363

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the R2R Gremlins are lurking in my inbox...Cleared it out yesterday...weird!

Yeah it won't let me! Still

So I'll post it here :

Love the articles, I look forward to them!

I wanted to ask u a favor, a friend of mine did me a huge favor and took on most of my sps bc my tank was in trouble.
It was a lot to ask and he did it with no questions asked. I asked what I could do for him. He said no worries at first.

But I kept at it bc i really was asking a lot of him. So he did mention that he was looking for the original strawberry shortcake that u guys brought in.

So I was wondering if I could get a nice frag for him

Let me know if u have it!

Thank u
Jay

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it won't let me! Still

So I'll post it here :

Love the articles, I look forward to them!

I wanted to ask u a favor, a friend of mine did me a huge favor and took on most of my sps bc my tank was in trouble.
It was a lot to ask and he did it with no questions asked. I asked what I could do for him. He said no worries at first.

But I kept at it bc i really was asking a lot of him. So he did mention that he was looking for the original strawberry shortcake that u guys brought in.

So I was wondering if I could get a nice frag for him

Let me know if u have it!

Thank u
Jay

HI Jay,

Good question...The "Strawberry Shortcake" is essentially a color morph of Acropora microclados. My partner, Joseph Caparatta coined the name because it reminded him of the Good Humor ice cream flavor he used to like as a kid....The original colony of SS was long since distributed away during Unique Corals version 1.0, and is not available any more. However, we do bring in A. microclados wild colonies from our source in Australia, and have colonies and frags going at just about any time. The difficulty is that these frags take literally a month or more before they are close to being salable...They just go through a long "ugly" period before they color up to look like anything you'd want to keep. We currently have some frags coming up, but not yet ready...Keep an eye peeled on our sight in the next couple of weeks!

Thanks!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to pm u Scott :)

Hey Jay,

Sorry for the difficulties...I cleared my inbox but am apparently still having some issues...I will check with the site administrators to get this resolved ASAP...

In the mean time, just email me at [email protected]., or call us at 818-570-0848

Scott

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back