Open your eyes...the answers are right in front of you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’ve been in the hobby for more than a few years, you’ve definitely started noticing a trend about the way we do things.

We have, in my opinion, developed a sort of dependency on technology. Ok, maybe not a dependency, but an excessive reliance on technology, and, for many reefers, their ability to identify and interpret a problem that isn’t verified by one of their monitored parameters has, well- atrophied…

john-coolidge-tank.jpg

Sometimes a look can tell you more than a controller can. Tank and photo by John Coolidge

What exactly do I mean? Well, I have many reefers who contact me because their reef is just not doing well- corals aren’t opening, colors are off, etc., despite the presence of an advanced lighting system, controllers, high end reactors, etc. Some of these hobbyists will rattle off water parameters taken by either their controller or a test kit, and long-winded descriptions of the expensive equipment they have in place to run their reef, with more than just a little annoyance that, despite the alkalinity being “X”, or the calcium reading “Y”, that things don’t look good. In fact, their is often a sense of bewilderment that there could even BE a problem, because seemingly, every contingency has been covered by their equipment and high-tech accessories.

The common thread in many of these complaints is that the aquarist, despite his reliance on advanced technology and a seemingly higher-than-average understanding of the water parameters ( or should I say, the numbers involved), has no real clue what’s going on. Rattling off pH, Dkh, phosphate and Calcium readings is cool, but if you don't know what they mean in real terms to your inhabitants, what's the point of monitoring them? Many times, the reefer will downplay some seemingly innocuous system change, such as the fact that the brand of salt mix, which was always Brand “A”, was suddenly changed to the “better and more expensive” Brand “B.” last week, or that recent upgrade to “better” lighting should not have damaged his “high-light loving” Acropora. Rather, I’ll hear things like, “That shouldn't be a problem, because_______.”

Well, um- YEAH, it SHOULD be a problem. Change is good, but not always easy. Marine animals have adapted over eons to inhabit the most stable environments on earth, the oceans. I mean, why do you think the wild reefs are reacting so poorly to some of the recent mankind-inflicted changes upon them? These animals,despite their toughness, are not evolved to handle rapid changes to their environments all that well. They’ll demonstrate this by showing lots of overt signs of stress, trust me.

When you change salt mixes, for example, it IS a big deal to your animals. Every manufacturer follow a more or-less standard “recipe”; however, each one also has proprietary formulations of things like trace elements, mineral additions, etc., or might use ingredients of varying purity or origin, all of which are perceptible to the animals that utilize them. Something may be in a greeter or lesser concentration, which, despite being a relatively minor component, is a change that an animal must adapt to. Bran Flakes and Lucky Charms are both cereals, supposedly with “whole grains” in them. But trust me, your waist line will show wether you’ve been chowing on the Bran Flakes or the Lucky Charms for breakfast after a few weeks! Read the ingredients and look at the calories and sugar content of each…

pouring--pile-of-sugar--sugar--pour-salt_3302047.jpg

"Salt is salt." Right? Um, not exactly...

“Light is light” is not an entirely accurate statement. When you switch from T5 to LED, for example, despite the fact that the LED system has advanced ability to control the color balance and intensity, the emitters focus light differently, perhaps concentrating it where it was not previously concentrated before. One of the best examples I can think of is the effects of sun when you go to the beach versus when you are out in the backyard. Sure, hanging out in your backyard you’ll get some sun, but it’s always different at the beach, with different atmospheric qualities, etc. that can result in you getting a deeper tan (or even a sunburn) when you lay out there versus push a lawnmower at home.

sunny_day_at_the_beach_2560x1600.jpg

It all comes from the same star, right? Well true, but...

A controller cannot monitor judgment. OR should I say, BAD judgement. Placing an Acan in the middle of your docile encrusting Montipora collection and then wondering why the Montis are getting fried every night is not something that can be identified by your controller. Disease caused by not quarantining that new Wrasse is not detectible on a test kit, iPhone app, or monitoring system. Overstocking, poor husbandry, and ineffective maintenance regimens cannot be detected directly by electronic equipment or testing. You’ll see things like declining pH and alkalinity, increasing phosphate or nitrate, but in the end, you’ll have to know how to interpret what these things mean. You’ll need to know the visual cues as well, such as increased algae growth, poor animal health, etc.

Green-Hair-Algae-Infestation-e1315068333240.jpg

"This algae outbreak makes no sense to me. I have a Superhightech A450 monitoring system, Hypercool 10000 chiller, Electroflow 700 internal water pumps, SolarDisruptor 100 Pro LED lighting system, Hyper Kalk 500 Kalk reactor, ObsessiveTech 300 Pro digital Linux Results Interpreter Interface, and use the full PureReef dosing system from Germany. Molybdenum is 0.01, Dysprosium is 00000091 ppm, Yttrium is 0.000013 ppm, and Thorium is 0.0000004 " I think my LFS are stupid and sold me crappy fish..." No, NO, NO!!!

It’s great that we have all the technology at our fingertips. It’s not only progressive, it’s important. I’m not bashing technology, and I’m not downplaying water testing or having information at your fingertips. What I am concerned about is that, as hobbyists, we must not forget the powers of observation. We must not forget the “art” of aquarium keeping as we become more and more reliant on technology to monitor and control our reefs. Remember, probes need to be calibrated, and test kit reagents expire. There is no substitute for simply looking at your aquarium critically every day. Many very experienced reefers are only half joking when they can tell you that they can take a quick glance at their reef and know that something is not right, or even a whiff of the tank to know their is a problem (trust me, you’ll never forget the smell of coral death…). This is borne of experience gained by observing their tank every day, not just staring at their iPhone display from their controller and assuming that everything is perfect because the numbers are “right.”

Don’t get me wrong. We need to use test kits and controllers to assist with operation and monitoring. We need information to know what’s going on in our reefs. The hobby has benefitted magnificently from the application of technology. What I’m asserting is that we cannot depend upon them to manage every aspect of our system. Remember, reef keeping is much an “art” as it is a science, and we can’t forget the “art”, or we might do so at the expense of our animals. That’s precisely why the guys up in the control tower at your local airport have windows at their disposal in addition to their radar displays. There is just no replacement for visual assessment of a situation in most cases. Take their lead and use the technology as an assist, but RELY on your personal skills, honed by rigorous daily observation and understanding gained by intimately knowing your reef system.

12433.jpg

"But radar shows that it looks perfectly clear...?"

The need to become a “reef whisperer” and to develop the skills to “listen” to your aquarium has never been more relevant or useful. As technology improves and becomes more integrated into the daily routines of reef keeping, we as hobbyists must continue to develop the basic skills that you can only acquire by “getting your hands wet.”

Which makes my traditional sign-off more relevant than ever, doesn’t it?

As always, I implore you to…

Stay Wet,

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

reefaddictionrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent perspective and write up, Scott...

Tank "Numbers" help guide us in the right direction or allow us to follow a trend. But determining what is causing the trend or change in value is more in the art/experience part of reefing.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good read, Scott, and couldn't agree more. From what I see there is a trend for reefers to put a lot of effort into going high-tech up front in the mistaken belief that a reef tank can be setup to run all by itself and therefore 'I won't have to do much later on'. The reality is that technological wizardry can never replace proper maintenance practices and keen observation if one wants a reef tank to do well over the long term.

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Scott, another enjoyable read.

The article makes a strong point for keeping accurate and timely tank maintenance records.

At first, I thought the article was going to be on searching the forum before opening yet another thread, on a topic that has been covered a hundred times before.

Last edited:

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott you write up the best reefing articles I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Your knowledge and insight are spot-on! It's truly a pleasure

kjwildman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANK YOU!! After being away from the hobby for close to 20 years, I am starting to get a tank set up again. I am overwhelmed by the technology that's available to us now. I used to test 4-5 parameters and MONITOR daily. I am looking at all the electronic available and thinking. WOWW!.. I guess I will just do what I used to do and add all the extras later. I have a 72l x 24h x 18w that will be getting water started in the next month. Good lighting, filtration, and monitoring the essentials to start.

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good stuff Scott.

People who know me know that I'm not a person who chase numbers, but chase what my tank tells me. People ask me what my PAR is. My response is "PAR Schmar, I've never tested that once on my tank and I don't plan on it anytime soon. If there is light on the bottom of the tank, then the corals will survive".

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the kind words, and for all of the contributions that make this stuff worth reading! I really love the fact that you realize that I am not "anti-tech", I'm just "pro aquarium skill development." I love technology and all that it provides, but I hate when we rely on technology at the expense of utilizing our basic skills of observation or even intuition.

Mark Poletti has one of the finest aquariums in the world, and he's here, front and center, telling you that he OBSERVES HIS TANK to see what's up. That, my friends- is Skill...borne of years of observing and thinking. kjwildman- you hit it on the head- you need the fundamental equipment first, then you can roar on into the cool gadgetry...It won't help you if you don't know HOW to keep a coral alive first, IMO. It will simply delay the inevitable results...

Oh, and now, speaking of observations, I want to hijack my own thread...

Be honest, okay? When you visit our website and look at our corals, do you read any of the copy that we include in the descriptions, or is it preferred to have minimal copy and "bullet points" outlining their care, or some fusion of the two?

I'm curious, as we are going to be doing some cool site enhancements over the next couple of months, as well as completely freshening up the aesthetic of our site to stay way ahead of the curve for a long time to come. We were wondering what people actually read and want, versus what we're presenting. We felt initially that our copy gave us an editorially fresh feeling and point of difference over competitive websites, but we wonder if readers prefer more informational content in quick summary form as well...

Don't worry about our website being radically different than what you've gotten used to. It will continue to look unlike any other aquarium vendor website you've ever seen (because we believe that, if you're not standing out from the clutter, you're contributing to it), but with a fresher, more stylish look, more intuitive function, and some great new features to make your shopping experience even better. We freaked a lot of people out when our ultra-clean, highly-negative space all-white aesthetic debuted last summer. It was way different than what people were used to seeing in our category. You may not be as freaked out by our changes this time, but you'll see it as an evolution for sure as UC "Version 2.0" rolls out this Spring. We have an all new mobile interface on the app store as well that's in testing now!

OK, back to the topic...LOL

-Scott:bored:

jokervueboi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love a brief summary of each coral/invert/fish that is being sold! I love knowing more about the animal (creates a bond instantly = more likely to buy).

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More info the better. A brief description of the animal with a pic as you have today is great, but perhaps provide a 'Detailed Info' link for those who are more into the specifics.

I like to know if the animal is wild collected or is the offspring of captive stock. If wild, I would like to know where it originated from (Australia, Indonesia, Philippines, etc.) at minimum and, ideally, what part of the reef area (fore reef?, lagoon?, depth collected? temp?). I know supplier specifics are not easy to come by, but anything is better than nothing :)

Ralph.

Last edited:

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a brief summary, but more than that I really like a more defined "moderate light" your idea of moderate light and mine are different, a par reading of the coral when photo was taken would be most excellent

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a brief summary, but more than that I really like a more defined "moderate light" your idea of moderate light and mine are different, a par reading of the coral when photo was taken would be most excellent

Great points. We have started playing with a new standardization description thing...However, we are thinking of more detailed information summaries to link to, just like Nano sapiens alluded to. We are also going to be having a much greater content element to our website, with lots of interesting stuff. The more suggestions the better, keep 'em coming. Thanks!

-Scott

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't agree more with this article. If it wasn't for constant observation of my system I wouldn't know I had a broken impeller in my pump running my skimmer. Pump was humming, no noises but no foam in chamber. Would a controller tell me an impeller in skimmer is broken? I don't know. I like to think of myself as the security guard of my aquarium. The more I guard it, the more secure I feel.

lifeaquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture of the Green Hair Algae is an old picture of my saltwater reef from a few years ago. Here are the blog articles I wrote about it. I'm curious where the quote comes from... those specifications don't match my tank setup at all. (BTW: I no longer own this aquarium... I solid it about a year ago and it was healthy before I sold it. My problem was CO2 build up in the sand bed).
Green Hair Algae Removal
Green Hair Algae Removal Update

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.1%
Back