Is a "wake up call" needed, or am I just being grumpy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the great pleasure of speaking at one of my favorite conferences this past weekend, Reefstock, in Denver Colorado. Even more enjoyable was spending some time with one of my favorite reefers, Steve Weast, who, among other things, built what is arguably the best home reef aquarium ever made. The typical reef geek discussions that ensued were awesome, with lots of ideas and philosophies being exchanged.

One of the things both Steve and I lamented was the direction (or lack thereof) that the reefing hobby has taken in terms of overall aesthetic and concept for reef aquariums, and the distinct lack emphasis on the husbandry and understanding of the animals that we keep.

p_016_l.jpg

Steve Weast's 850 gallon reef. Arguably the best reef tank of all time.

First off, I’m not saying that we have concluded that all new reef aquariums suck, that technology is evil, or that our skills are disappearing. What I am asserting is that, when you see many of todays “build” threads, a lot of what you see is an emphasis on the hardware, the accumulation of equipment and gadgets, and tremendous discussion of the mechanical complexities of the systems being presented, with the discussion of the livestock a mere afterthought. I’m personally a bit bothered by this. And no, it’s not because I’m a livestock vendor. It’s because I’m a reefer.

Strange analogy: I hate Twitter and Instagram (although we use them in our promotions.). I hate them with a passion because, despite what their pundits proffer, I firmly believe 140 characters or a simple picture is not all that a modern human can absorb, or has time to absorb these days. These are a means to an end. That’s it. A way to conveyt some simple information. But they are not a substitute for real human interaction. I believe that we are deeper than that.

USS_Enterprise_(alternate_reality)_bridge.jpg

This is not reef keeping. And these are not reefers.

So, likewise, I hate the trend of focusing so much on our tank gadgets and equipment in the absence of talk about concept, because I know that we are more skilled (and deeper) than that as reefers. There is way more to the hobby, but it’s taken an uncomfortable back seat of late, in my opinion. I simply don't like the “Twitterizing” of the hobby that I see these days.

I think it’s time for a wake up call to the hobby.

I mean, rarely if ever, do you hear of an aesthetic or overall reef tank concept being discussed (and no, “This is going to be an “SPS” reef” is NOT a “concept”). It seems as though we are losing a few of the finer points of the art of reefkeeping in a cloud of technology and gadgetry.

More attention seems to be paid to programming the lighting system and controller setup than the concept behind the aquarium. Some of the reefers I’ve talked to lately can tell me everything about their LED lighting system and proudly show off their advanced monitoring system, auto top off, and many reactors. It’s impressive. However, I rarely have anyone go into any elaborate detail about the idea behind the tank in question, or even the level of care required for some of the animals they keep.

What’s more (and this will get me lambasted from some quarters, but I couldn’t care less- it’s my OPINON!)- a number of the aquariums being served up as examples of today’s “aspirational” tanks on forums, in articles, and in books are, well…high-priced technological testbeds with dull aquascaping and little vision beyond the laundry list of expensive hardware and audacious construction work used to build the tank. Ouch.

Why is this?

reef-in-the-sky-equipment.jpg

It's really nice...but it's only part of the story.

Are we so enamored with our technology, or in some cases, our affluence- that we are no longer concerned with what we’re putting all of this stuff together for? Just throw some bucks and gadgets and we’re revered as “top shelf” reefers? Is the “journey” the goal, and the end “goal” simply to accumulate tons of gear, build the tank and then start over again? Is THIS the hobby at its current highest level?

I hope not, but if you look objectively at many of the current trends, this is what you see and hear. When was the last time you heard the terms “biotope” or “monospecific stand” used in conjunction with a tank build discussion? I’ll bet you heard “ULNS”, “remote monitoring”, "denitrator", and “auto top off” discussed, however.

It concerns me a bit. While we in the reef community seem to love bashing the “freshies”, go on almost any freshwater forum or discussion group, and you’ll hear lengthy discussions about the concept behind a planted aquarium, African Cichlid tank, or Discus aquarium. Spirited discussions ensue between freshies about topics like stocking their systems. Freshwater aquarists in general will place much greater emphasis on the overall aquarium and its inhabitants than they will on their lighting systems, filtration schematics, and gadgetry. Why is that? I mean, an “ADA” style FW planted tank requires every bit of skill that a reef system does, including some equipment for CO2 diffusion and filtration, not to mention, proper lighting- yet the FW “build thread” discussions spend the majority of the time talking about the concept being presented and the plants and fishes being used. Maybe they have a history of better examples from which to pull from? Maybe they understand something that we don’t? Dunno.

Jeff-Discus-Tank.jpg

Trust me, Jeff Senske will talk way more about the concept for this tank than the equipment.

An interesting dichotomoy, if you ask me.

I’m not bashing the state of our hobby, or the reefers who are out there sharing their work. What I AM questioning is exactly what it is we are sharing, and why? Has the reef aquarium hobby become all about the hardware, the acquisition of stuff, and the bragging rights to show who has the most technological props on their tank? Have we forgotten that the main goal of this awesome technology is to make keeping our animals easier and more fulfilling, not to create a sidetrack that takes us off task. I’m not sure, but it often seems that way.

I’m not some old-school, washed-up “FirstGen” reefer longing for the macro algae and Bubble Coral reefs of the late 1980’s. I’m not a technophobe, hater of people that are into tech, or afraid of new stuff. I am an objective reefer who is just sort wondering what direction that the reef hobby is going during this “Postmodern” period. We have awesome technology at our fingertips… Some of us have the bucks to spend on lots of it. Good for you! Some of us are into the gear and tech, and do cool things with it. Cool.

However, what I’m NOT seeing and hearing a whole lot of lately in discussion forum build threads is the “soul”- the philosophical orientation, and discussions of the “art” behind what we do. My suggestion: Let’s use the wonderful technology as a means to an end, NOT a hobby of it’s own. “Tank building” is not “reefkeeping”. It’s PART of it, but it’s not he whole enchilada. The “journey” towards a beautiful reef tank and the execution of a concept is about the evolution of the overall system, NOT just the process of buying gadgets, creating complex electronics builds and showing them off to our friends.

And now, the most aggressive and painful point I want to make…A point that might anger or alienate some of you- but I feel it’s my obligation as a “bi-generational” reefer (experience from the past but with a postmodern orientation) to tell you this: Just because you are technically oriented and build a complex system does not mean you’ll be a good reefer, or that your tank will be a successful one. I get calls and questions from reefers every day that know how to use every function on their controller, but are just shockingly clueless about what it takes to keep a coral healthy, and what’s more, some of these people bring an attending attitude that is equally as frightening.

Ouch. Sorry. Just being truthful here.

I mean, if that’s your concept of the reef hobby- more power to you. You can enjoy the hobby however you want to. Yet, don’t delude yourself that this is all there is to the hobby, or that you’ve mastered it because you spent five figures on your tank build. There is so much more! If you want to really enjoy and understand this hobby, I’d suggest that you attend a local frag swap to learn the culture, enter into a discussion on a forum about a fish or coral, go diving, look at rocks, study the needs of a fish, read the first section of Sprung and Delbeek’s Volume 1, 2 and 3 of “The Reef Aquarium”, or just spend time with some freshwater hobbyists.

coral-22.jpg

How about putting the "reef" back into reef keeping?

Again, although it sounds like I’m hating on you, tech heads…I’m not. I’m just telling you, from one reefer to another, to look up from your controllers and lighting instruction manuals and look at the whole reef keeping world that’s around you. There is a far more interesting, enriching world to be enjoyed, with corals, fishes, and other concepts to be learned, absorbed and enjoyed. Technology, gadgets, and sophisticated tank builds are part of the hobby- not the entire hobby. The art AND the science are NOT mutually exclusive concepts. Really. And, in all fairness, shunning modern technology just "because" is equally as short-sided...

Scary bonus discussion subtopic: Some reefers DO like to talk about their corals…however, often times it’s more like, “That’s a _______ LE that I got from ultrahotcorals.com.” Not stuff like, “That’s a really cool Acropora nasuta that has alternating colored polyps and an unusual encrusting skeleton. I grew it from a small frag…”

“Look what I got. It’s got a designer name and I spent lots of money on it and it’s rare…” .

ARRGHHGH! Come on…

I’m feeling a bit of “reef soul” coming off from this weekend, and perhaps a healthy dose of cynicism, so I put some angst in this column today. Don’t take it too personally, okay? I do want to hear your discussion, points, counterpoints, and criticisms for and against my assertions here. Let's keep it civilized, but opinions are important!

Discuss. Enlighten. Opine. Share.

And above all…

Stay Wet

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

Bad Company

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thoughts. I think a bit of what you are talking about happens with every hobby. Like in performance cars, there are ton of different opinions as to what makes a "nicely" modded "gasp" car. Some people love neon lights and stanced car. Also my father used to complain about all the work he put into his car to soup it up, when the next year a factory model would outperform it. To each their own. But I digress.

There are a ton of diferent kinds of people out there, with different resources, strengths and interests. People are a lot more technical these days, and the pace of information has reached a point where information and resources goes far. Wisdom on the other hand, can not be rushed. I still think there are a ton of people out there who take the time to fully understand their reef. But in every population there are those that don't have the time but still want the beautiful animals. And there are a ton of companies that have figured out how to make money off of that market.

There are also tons of people with lots of money and little sense. They are essential to our hobby for two reasons: 1. They provide a market large enough for companies to invest in new solutions and technology. 2. They provide cheap, quality used equipment to the rest of us when they upgrade or go out of the hobby. They also do not set the barometer for the hobby. You set your own barometer.

Personally I love this hobby because you can get as deep as you want. There is always more to learn, and the rewards of having a thriving community are spectacular. I also love how technology and research has made this hobby more accessable to those with less time. I have three young children, and not much time. I know that when they move out, I'll have more time for reef keeping. I LOVE the fact that I can have a saltwater tank, and the algae scrubber, skimmer, ato, timers, and the rest of the equipment make my maintenance about 40 minutes a week. Which makes this hobby a possibility for me.

I have taken the time to understand the needs of my tank inhabitants, and I have each of them because I think they are beautiful. The technology enables it. For me it's about the creatures though.

Last edited:

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great thread Scott! I understand all of the points that you addressed and agree with many of them. But as always, it's easy to get caught up in a lot of things in the hobby. Not just this hobby, but many other things in life as well!

I've always known very little about equipment. You can ask my friends that. I just like the corals and fish. LOL.

As I've told a lot of my own friends, it is a bit disheartening to see that everyone has been more focused on becoming a collector, having frag plugs all over their tanks etc rather than focusing on making a real display tank. A tank where everything lives in harmony and thrives. Rather than having 100 different types of corals all jammed into a 20 gallon on frag plugs and frag racks. But it's addicting, and collecting is fun! It's like a trading card game that is alive and there's always something new.

I'm not sure about a wake up call being needed since as long as people are fun that's all that really matters. We all have our own ways of enjoying the hobby. We just get along better with the hobbyist that think the same as we do, which is basically how people choose friends. LOL

MrDJeep123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad just recently visited from out of state and was able to see my tank. I didn't talk about the equipment, I didn't talk about the super awesome gadgets available. I found myself talking about each of the fish, it's role in the tank environment, the snails and their diets, the purpose of the rock, why it was scaped as it is, the nitrogen cycle and it's importance. Not one mention of equipment.

I recently read a post from someone asking what they needed to get started. Most of the answers were "super top of the line equipment, get out your checkbook, buy NEW equipment, dont waste your time on used." Pffft, if you knew how much used equipment I'm sporting it would embarass you.

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this, Part of the blame for this I see is due to the equipment today. Back when I started, there wasnt alot of equipment available, and raising fish and corals was the accomplishment. Now days we dose kalk, 2 part, calcium reactors, carbon, gfo, biopellets, ect. Everything that we do to make the hobby easier has detracted from the livestock, simply cause the livestock is easier to keep now. With knowledge, modern equipment and lights keeping Acropora alive is so easy, it doesnt matter any more. You kept aa chalice alive for a year, look at my 15 year old centerpiece, your accomplishment is invalid. the skill required to make a go of it these days is being stripped, due to the technology we use to make it easier, and sadly the needs of the animals have become immaterial, cause I got a gadget to do that for me.

If you think about it, go back to 1980. If you kept a Acropora cervicornis back then and it grew 3 inches, you were a legend, a Tort, you were getting published, now days If you cant get 3 inches of growth in a year, you are doing something wrong. the soft corals from that 80s went from high end corals to beginners stuff that no one cares about any more. How many SPS reefers with the high end cartoon named corals are keeping old strains going? You have a $1000 rainbow chalice, but you suck as a reefer cause you dont understand what those numbers you are chasing really mean. You talk about 0 nitrate, 0 phosphate like an expert and dont even understand Photosynthesis. Really you know the high end gear, the hot button numbers, and consider yourself a reefer, when frankly take away the toys, you couldnt keep a tank of acans alive. I tried to do an old school build, but funds and parts stopped me mid stream, so I would like to challenge the reefers here, sure you can grow acros and torts like weeds, you have more colors in your chalice than a bag of skittles, but could you do it without the toys? Basic tank, UG filter, air driven skimmer, basic incandesent or t12 lights, no sump, no fuge, totally Oldschool? I highly doubt it, but feel free to prove me wrong, you may just learn some old tricks of the trade in the process, and in the end be a much better and more successful reefer

Last edited:

JMMJ13902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another great thread Scott! I understand all of the points that you addressed and agree with many of them. But as always, it's easy to get caught up in a lot of things in the hobby. Not just this hobby, but many other things in life as well!

I've always known very little about equipment. You can ask my friends that. I just like the corals and fish. LOL.

As I've told a lot of my own friends, it is a bit disheartening to see that everyone has been more focused on becoming a collector, having frag plugs all over their tanks etc rather than focusing on making a real display tank. A tank where everything lives in harmony and thrives. Rather than having 100 different types of corals all jammed into a 20 gallon on frag plugs and frag racks. But it's addicting, and collecting is fun! It's like a trading card game that is alive and there's always something new.

I'm not sure about a wake up call being needed since as long as people are fun that's all that really matters. We all have our own ways of enjoying the hobby. We just get along better with the hobbyist that think the same as we do, which is basically how people choose friends. LOL

Well said...I totally agreed.

And as always Scott, your articles are always a pleasure to read. Man I love that discus's tank.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you like Monday mornings as much as me. My main obsession is my imported live rock tank. It literally is a piece of the reef. It was fishless for 7 months. Took over two years before I thought I could put a coral in safely. First corals in were bait it seems. No one is interested in the 50? different species of worms in there. Or the 200 plus hitchhikers. Or the unidentified critters. So I would say I am on the opposite end of your "see what I have" scale.

What is that hole of death next to the Chiton?

This coral ended up as bait.

There are also some real nice hitchhikers.
GEDC0421.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome feedback, all! And I agree, looking at it rationally, who cares how we enjoy the hobby, as long as it's fun to us and not hurting anybody else, or the environment...The main point here is that I am feeling this sense that a lot of hobbyists are detaching from the "creative" part of the hobby, in favor of a more technological/collector type mindset/orientation, and it's a bit discouraging to me personally. Certainly there is no "rule" about how to enjoy the hobby..I just am concerned about the attitudes I've been feeling from some people, and figured it was time to "shove back", LOL

-Scott

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it has a bit to do with what generation we the hobbyist are in. I am 50 something, was brought up more spar and frugal and that has influenced my aquarium. I tend to do lots of small WCs to maintain water quality rather than reactors or fancy skimmers then dosing. Both will do the job however. I always loved the hypnotic swaying of LPS in the current and so thats the effect I went for in my tank. Nothing is exotic or designer but its all lush, healthy and soothing. My son on the other hand loves the eye popping SPS and he's more attracted to the latest gadgets to keep them. He enjoyed his tank same as I enjoyed mine.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has puttered around in this hobby for a long while, I too notice the current trend.

On the deepest level this hobby is all about biology, not technology, and natural biological systems take time to develop and become stable. But listening to conversations and reading many posts it seems that much of the patience and research needed to develop a mature, successful reef tank is missing because of the over-reliance on complex technological solutions.

For me personally, I view all of the organisms in my tank as amazingly intricate works of natural art. I couldn't care less if one is called a 'LE' and the market cost is $100 or whether it came in as a hitchhiker with the live rock. They are all unique and contribute to the diversity and ecology of my little glass box. Perhaps this is why virtually all of my original corals from many years back are still chugg'in away in my tank today.

cmac330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like this post, I actually just posted my first "build thread" before reading this and none of my pictures include underneath the cabinet and my description of my equipment was rather vague because to me it is all secondary. Personally I like my equipment simple because there is less to go wrong. I purposely chose corals that were hardy and that I had experience with.

I think the larger issue (not necessarily a negative) is this a hobby and it's easy to get hung up on each facet. I think it goes farther than just the equipment though. I like the name brand corals because it implies they were aquacultured (unfortunately this is not always true) and promotes a more ecological approach, however some people get caught up on fragging or bragging rights and buy corals without a bigger picture in mind. How many tank pictures are thousands of dollars of frags but no FTS? I understand everybody has a different aesthetic and some people may enjoy looking at individual pieces but to me it feels like walking in to my LFS. And to the OP point sticking frags all over a tank may not be the best for the coral either as they may compete or may not be in the best location.

For me this hobby is about creating essentially a work of art, a piece that is expressive of me and my interests. I like my tank to feel alive as much as look colorful, it's why I love my bubble tips and keep Xenia I have to trim. I also love variety and chose different colors instead of all rainbow or all green it is why I have mismatched clowns. Anyways that's why my tank is stocked the way it is. That said, my livestocks health is my first priority and even if I think a piece will look better in one place I do my best to place the specimen where it is most likely to thrive and have space to grow. I find it incredibly rewarding to see my livestock happy and healthy and enjoy watching them grow (another reason to like frags!)

I guess my point is this I enjoy this hobby and the pieces in my tank are there because I (or my wife... I don't even get to run my own tank) have an attachment to them and I want to see them succeed. Anyways that's just my opinion and take it how you will, I love this hobby and enjoy the group that participate and mean no ill will just merely sharing my thoughts.

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very well said. I got into the hobby with freshwater setups (like many of us, I'm sure) and quickly realized the whole new world that a reef tank could provide. But I still catch myself every so often wanting a nice, well thought out planted tank, because they often just look so much better than the standard rock pile/fruit stand reef.
I'm just starting a 60 cube build, and I definitely find myself falling in the trap of the tech side of the hobby. New shiny things get me every time! You wrote a while back about the idea of the mono species tank, and it really got to me. I don't think I could pull it off, because every time I think maybe I could just stick with "this", I see something else that I really like. You have stirred some big thought processes in me. Maybe a color theme tank.....who knows! I guess the point is that you made me rethink my setup. You made me want to achieve that thought out, planned and well executed design and aquascape that will keep me excited about my tank without just filling it full of random frags and fish. Will I be able to pull it off? Time will tell I guess, and you know...if I get that shiny new reef toy it will surely make it easier for me to pull off my plan, right!? Anyway, thanks for the rant and discussion. I get a lot out of them, and hopefully can integrate what you are trying to get across in my build.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Scott You know I love your articles and this one is very close to my heart... Allot of the times I feel like you took the words right out of my mouth...

I am very out spoken on the topic of Technology vs biology.

Technology is allowing people who would usually not be able to keep a reef aquarium keep one. But the problem I see now a days is technology is trumping biology. People don’t understand the biology behind the technology so when that technology breaks down they are pretty much screwed and don’t know what to do.. Take for example carbon dosing or more specifically bio pellets. I see so many threads on algae outbreaks and this seems to be the common answer now.. Do people even understand how they work? Do they understand bacteria? Do they understand how it affect alkalinity? ETC. It scares me and I think this is the reason the turn over in this hobby is so great.. People don’t understand the biology anymore.

The subject of aesthetics too.. More and more tanks look like frag tanks or have so many corals shoved in... No room for growth of nice big colonies.

Last edited:

nrbelk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that these days, the topics of your creatures, or how you wanted to design it, etc, have been discussed to the point where it doesn't make much sense in discussing it more unless you find some new unsuspecting victim :). But as for the "art" of a reef tank or an aquarium, I think its still there, you just have to look deeper into the hobbiests obsession. He might be obsessing about a new piece of equipement that does the water changes for him. It might be exciting for him because, if you take time to look further and not just on the surface, the person does regular 20% water changes as recommended for some of his livestock (don't ask me what, I'm just pulling it out of nowhere lol). So he's excitedly talking about his new equipment that gives him more time to sit and stare into his tank, enjoying the fruit of his labors.

Another aspect I thought of is that all this equipment is a lot like a lot of other tools. Unless you know the whys, whats, and whens, it will help you a little bit but never be used to its fullest advantage. I think that those that talk about their equipment know the rest of their reef well enough to be excited at what the equipment can do. A picture of dark green skimmate is an indication of the satisfaction and reassurance that the skimmer is pulling the waste out of the water, keeping it clean for the inhabitants.

Hope that makes sense.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome feedback, all! And I agree, looking at it rationally, who cares how we enjoy the hobby, as long as it's fun to us and not hurting anybody else, or the environment...The main point here is that I am feeling this sense that a lot of hobbyists are detaching from the "creative" part of the hobby, in favor of a more technological/collector type mindset/orientation, and it's a bit discouraging to me personally. Certainly there is no "rule" about how to enjoy the hobby..I just am concerned about the attitudes I've been feeling from some people, and figured it was time to "shove back", LOL

-Scott

It sounds really similar to trading cards. People buy them to collect the rare cards and don't even know how to properly play the game that the cards were made for. LOL.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most beloved critter in my tank is a hermit crab named "leggy" He was mixed in a snail order I placed in quarantine. My 7 year old noticed him when the crab was about the size of BB. He has now been with a year and even if I could afford the highest end coral, it would still take a back seat to good ole leggy... Lol

bluwinghawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the read and all I can think about is growing pains lol and what a wonderfull weekend you had and one day I hope to experience that, and being a contractor by trade and a nature lover by heart I can get lost in both worlds quite easy and when all else fails knowing I can come here to a forum like this makes it all worth the while

thatrugbydude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a reefer who has a setup that was "primitive" and just updated to the technological stuff, I will say since I made the purchase of a new return pump in December I had yet to enjoy all the new corals, growth, colors from new lighting and better flow, or even just sat down and watched my tank after feeding, or heaven forbid just enjoyed my creation, the beautiful masterpiece of kinetic art, an ecosystem I created, added on to, changed coral placement for flow and light adjustments that I made. Heaven forbid for a half hour I just sat there and looked at this masterpiece! That was until last week when all the DIY, testing, tweaking and frustration all built up; I sat down and truly enjoyed my display tank, with dry hands, no stress on needing to work on something, be arms deep in my filtration; all I can say is it is pure bliss. A lot of the tech heads make all the advancements for show because I know for me when people see my tank that aren't reefers it's a tank, then I show them my controllers and suddenly it's interesting to them. Unfortunately our society is moving in a direction where technology is "cooler" than something from nature, sad but true and definitely impacting the hobby in return.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back