The case for frequent water changes....Again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most in my profession, I get lots of calls from reefers about a myriad of aquatic topics. Many of the calls are about things like how we take care of our corals, and what type of maintenance practices I recommend. A lot of reefers seem surprised to hear that we are big proponents of regular water changes in our systems. Why the surprise? I guess because people think, "Dude, you're running like 14,000 gallons of water in your facility, and you still do water changes?"

Yeah, we do..Regularly, and quite fanatically, I might add. So, I'm going to go after you again, guys...

It's not an alien concept- or it shouldn't be, in my mind.

Since our “prepubescent days” in the hobby, we’ve had it drilled into our collective heads to perform regular water changes on our aquariums. It’s one of those “facts of life” that we just can’t avoid. Kind of like watching Monday Night Football, eating Doritos, or talking about Lindsey Lohan's latest misadventure-most of us just instinctively do it! Obviously, water changes achieve several valuable things, including the dilution of dissolved organic wastes, nutrient export, and replenishment of trace elements, just to name a few. They also help synthetic salt mix manufacturers stay in business...A good thing, really, but I'm just sayin'...When performed on a regular basis, water changes really do help foster a more stable, consistent environment.

GrpConga-560x400.jpg

Seriously, if you perform frequent water changes, the world will be a happier place!

Some reefers just refuse to embrace a regular water change schedule. Let’s face it. Water changes tend to be viewed by most reefers as a necessary evil; a practice that we begrudgingly embrace...With disdain, I might add! Many hobbyists will do the occasional 10%-25% water change once a month, maybe even once every couple of months, or even less often (like, when the tank starts looking nasty)! Of course, there is always someone who alleges that they never perform a water change, and that their corals reproduce sexually, their fish spawn regularly, etc. These are the same people, IMHO, who get a real thrill out of walking on train tracks, base jumping, and taunting gang members from across a busy street...It's just a matter of time before that light turns green...

5% Twice A Week. Can you do it? Yes you can.

As I just pitched, one of the primary benefits of the water change in a closed system is the dissolution of dissolved organics in the water. In the healthy closed system, we all know that fish wastes and other organics are broken down by the beneficial bacteria that reside in the sand bed, live rock, and filter media, blah, blah. However, over time, the end products of the biological filtration process (nitrate and phosphate, in particular) tend to accumulate in the system. As we have discussed ad naseum on these very pages, a bit of phosphate and nitrate is not a bad thing at all for your corals. However, when it starts accumulating faster than the corals can utilize it- guess what steps in? Algae! Algae are happy to oblige and grow like mad for you- and they're absolutely free! So, the bottom line here is that accumulation of excessive amounts of phosphate, nitrate, and other organics can lead to significant degradation of your tank’s water quality over time. Stressed animals, algae issues, and the famous "anomalous crashes” have their roots in lax maintenance practices, if you ask me. And trust me, I've done "post mortems" on enough of these crashes over the years for hobbyists to know what I'm talking about here.

The key to eliminating this problem is, of course, regular water changes! Get yourself into some sort of positive habit with water changes. If done consistently, regular small water changes can help dilute organic wastes before they ever have an opportunity to accumulate in your system. Minerals and trace elements will be replenished with fantastic regularity. If you suffer from CAD Syndrome (“Chronic Additive Dosing Syndrome”), think of the money that you’ll save by not having to purchase all of those additives you’ve been using! Even though I am a believer in dosing some stuff, like potassium and aminos, I'd hazard a guess that you could maintain NSW levels of potassium in all but the most heavily populated coral systems with just regular water changes.

“Ok“, I can hear you saying, “I get the picture, Fellman…More frequent water changes are a good idea. But how much do I have to change…And how often?” My recommendation: Less than you think…but more often than you’d assume! My recommendation for an easy-to-accomplish, highly beneficial water change regimen is to perform two 5% water changes per week. “Twice a week? What a pain! Stick to slinging' corals, Fellman! Is this guy nuts?” (Well, quite probably, but that’s like a totally different topic!)

Seriously, frequent water changes are easier to accomplish than you might think. I'll be the first to tell you that we only do one change a week here at our facility. But personally, I'm a twice-a-week water changer in my own systems.

Before you pummel me with Bio Pellets, think about it. It’s not that big of a commitment. It's at least as easy to commit to as a season of "Breaking Bad", or watching any of those wretched "superhero"-themed movies..You probably spend as much time flossing your teeth each week (well, at least I do!) as you would changing water. We’re talking five percent of your tank volume (that’s only 5 gallons in a 100 gallon tank, or just 2.5 gallons in a 50 gallon tank), performed on, say, Wednesday and Sunday. By following this routine, you’re aquarium’s inhabitants are never more than 3 days from the next water change! See? Easy?

Still not sold? OMG, you're a straight-up pain. Let me put it in terms we can all relate to!

Instant Ocean Salt 500.jpg

10 gallons of saltwater per week at $3.63 per change= $14.52/mo.

2014-Lamborghini-Gallardo-LP-570-4-Spyder-Performante-front-three-quarters.jpg

2014 Lamborghini Gallardo LPS 4 Spyder- $225,400 MSRP, $11,500 down, $4,877 per month.

WHICH IS CHEAPER? DUH!

See? Frequent water changes are still less expensive than buying a Lamborghini. I pretty much took any doubt out of that one for you, I know. Sorry to burst you bubble.

In all seriousness (that's a joke, coming from me, huh?)- You can SO do this. C'mon!

However scary it sounds, it’s not that daunting a task by any means. In fact, you can perform an efficient water change in as little as 10 minutes (Trust me here- I timed it!). Make time for this practice by eliminating a bad habit, such as tweeting- during these times, pledge loyalty to your siphon hose, and it's all good. Using decidedly “low tech” methods, you can easily create a healthy, stable environment in your aquarium. When I say “low tech”- I mean it! We’re talking about a length of flexible plastic hose, nothing more! Sure, you could use one of those fancy store-bought numbers, but the tubing works just fine for me! I know some of you tech head will come up with some programable, mutli=phase automated system to do it- and that's cool...But, as Nike implores- Just DO it!

Obviously, when conducting the water change, it goes without saying that you need to be sure to utilize high quality source water (such as RO/DI water), a good salt mix, and similar specific gravity, temperature, and pH. You know that already, of course. Duh…However, you'd be surprised...

As you always here me say, environmental consistency is extremely important, perhaps more so than hitting any specific "numbers"- and conducting water changes in a manner that breeds consistency will help create stability in your aquarium! Another side benefit of frequent small water changes is that you are forced to become “involved” with your tank on a rather “intimate” level, on a very regular basis. You’ll see what’s really going on in your tank, notice subtle changes or recognize gradually developing problems and trends, and be able to correct them before they become serious.

You’ll save money on additives, too! Rather than spend tons of cash on lots of different trace elements, additives, and assorted vitamin products, you’ll be able to replenish the majority of these compounds through these frequent water changes. Sure, you may still need to supplement calcium, potassium, and possibly, a few other compounds which your animals utilize on a daily basis, but you’ll use far less of them in many cases. Trace element supplement manufacturers will hate you, yes- 'cause you won't be needing their product anymore.

And, while you’re making these regular water changes, why not use the opportunity to empty the collection cup and clean the neck of your protein skimmer, replace chemical filtration media , and clean/replace mechanical filter pads and/or filter “socks”? By cleaning/replacing the mechanical media within your system often, you’ll help prevent detritus and organics from building up within them, which can measurably degrade water quality if left unattended. Besides, you'll be doing all of your maintenance chores simultaneously, saving you more time that you can use to tend to your Facebook news feed or some other nonsense. :shocked:

Most amazing of all will be the noticeable results in your aquarium: I will hazard a guess that, once you get on a regular small water change schedule, your fishes will display brighter colors, eat better, and be more alert and active than you’ve ever seen them! Spawning activity may even be encourages through water changes for some species. Corals and invertebrates will display significant improvement in color, growth, and recovery following fragging.

UC1andhalfinch-rainbow-acan-lord-98.jpg

"We love our owner now..."

You’ll enjoy a whole new dimension of success with your system. Water parameters will remain more stable, nuisance algae will begin to disappear from your system, and your tank will take on a visual clarity that will astound you! People will find you more attractive, your income will increase, your charm will be irresistible, world peace will happen in our lives, and you will choose the winning lotto numbers with greater frequency. Guaranteed.

Seriously, with this many collateral benefits, why would you chance NOT making more frequent water changes? Give them a try, and watch your system rock as never before!

If you don't do water changes? Well, I can't guarantee what could happen...Please look at your siphon hose, sitting forlornly in the closet, waiting to be utilized...and then, think about the children of the world. Do you really want to risk that?

Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg

Before you skip that water change, please think about the children of the world...Maybe Scott DOES know something that you don't. Maybe.

This morning's little tale of salt mix and tempting fate....From the Fellman Zone... (cue music...)

Please share with us all your water change regimen..Inspire!

Until next time…

Stay Wet.
Scott Fellman

Last edited:

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good Scott.
I change water every week at 10% but I'm going to try two 5% a week. My tank seems to be gobbling up Ca 2:1 over alk. Hopefully this will elevate levels with less dosing. Thanks for the fun read.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this post!!!! Having maintenanced tanks as a job I saw first hand the definite advantages to regular, consistent WCs and how much healthier the creatures are. After all, we humans want clean air and environment so we can thrive, not just survive. Why shouldn't our aquatic life deserve the same. My equation for thriving has 2 aspects and constant consistent WCs is one. Good nutritious food is the other. Take care of these 2 things and you will have vibrant, healthy creatures you will enjoy for years!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this post!!!! Having maintenanced tanks as a job I saw first hand the definite advantages to regular, consistent WCs and how much healthier the creatures are. After all, we humans want clean air and environment so we can thrive, not just survive. Why shouldn't our aquatic life deserve the same. My equation for thriving has 2 aspects and constant consistent WCs is one. Good nutritious food is the other. Take care of these 2 things and you will have vibrant, healthy creatures you will enjoy for years!

Oops forgot to share my WC schedule. I have a 36g with 10g sump, probably 35 gallons total with rock and sand displacement. I do a 5g/week WC except when the bioload is heavier then I do 3-4g twice a week.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I religiously change 10% a week on my systems. Like you said it really doesn't take much effort. If for some reason I'm a day behind with the change I can notice it in the corals, they're almost waiting for it.

I also really like the point you make about it keeping you "in-touch" with your systems. I was having a similar conversation with someone about this just today. The conversation was more along the lines of how automated things can be and my feeling that a big drawback to this is the lack of involvement with your tank. It can almost become a set it and forget it kind of thing. Don't get me wrong it's cool and convenient, however I don't think anything can make up for personal involvement with your tank. The more "time you spend" with your tank the easier it will be for you to notice when something is a little off and the sooner you catch it the better. Thanks again for the great write up, I really look forward to these.

And if you don't mind me asking, what salt do you guys use?

-Kevin

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I religiously change 10% a week on my systems. Like you said it really doesn't take much effort. If for some reason I'm a day behind with the change I can notice it in the corals, they're almost waiting for it.

I also really like the point you make about it keeping you "in-touch" with your systems. I was having a similar conversation with someone about this just today. The conversation was more along the lines of how automated things can be and my feeling that a big drawback to this is the lack of involvement with your tank. It can almost become a set it and forget it kind of thing. Don't get me wrong it's cool and convenient, however I don't think anything can make up for personal involvement with your tank. The more "time you spend" with your tank the easier it will be for you to notice when something is a little off and the sooner you catch it the better. Thanks again for the great write up, I really look forward to these.

And if you don't mind me asking, what salt do you guys use?

-Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the kind words...We use Brightwell "Neo Marine" for our systems..Good stuff. I personally use Tropic Marin in my own systems.

Thanks,

Scott

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes we all need a kick in the pants!
Nothing improves my tank more than WCs

A side note as well:
If you are doing a stringent wc schedule it will allow for a bit more flexibility..if an emergency situation arrives the tank will be much more resilient to your absence!

blufin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can natural seawater sit in 5 gallon plastic drinking jugs? Around where I live, it's not uncommon for LFS's to sell seawater. I usually pick up 30-40 gallons at a time at $.50/gallon. Sometimes my water will sit for a month waiting to be used.
I see your point with the frequent/smaller changes and plan to step up my game.

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long can natural seawater sit in 5 gallon plastic drinking jugs? Around where I live, it's not uncommon for LFS's to sell seawater. I usually pick up 30-40 gallons at a time at $.50/gallon. Sometimes my water will sit for a month waiting to be used.
I see your point with the frequent/smaller changes and plan to step up my game.

Wouldn't natural sea water (bc presence of the bacteria) foul quickly w/o O2, temp etc??

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea, this why I'm asking. Sounds plausible. I don't know if it matters, but the water is indoors at room temp.

I've seen this discussion before...Potential issues with stored NSW include die off of any planktonic organisms, potential pH drops, etc..Hard to say; I'm not a big proponent of storing NSW in a closed container...

-Scott

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article I totally agree with u on how important is to do water changes .
I do 10% one a week and have been doing so for years.
Takes less then 10 mins and I'm done.
Doing 5% WC twice a week I'm sure will give even better results but personally I don't have the extra time for it .
I believe consistency plays a major role in the success of any aquarium so what every your tank husbandry schedule is, stick with it .

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally change out 5 gallons a week on my bc29. I am going to do this twice a week and see if I notice any difference. A water change for me only takes about 5 minutes with my pump.

blufin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it looks as if I've found yet another thing I've been doing wrong. No more stored NSW for me. I also have no idea how long it sits at the LFS before I get it and store it for a month. Geesh!

Thanks for the replies. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I needed to hear.

Joker79

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do 5 gallons every other day... Very time consuming but the results were amazing!!! 230 gallon system

srpsycho11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article! I was doing weekly water changes and just started doing two a week. I was thinking it was a waste until I read this article. Now I see the genius in it, haha.

ManOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People will find you more attractive, your income will increase, your charm will be irresistible, world peace will happen in our lives, and you will choose the winning lotto numbers with greater frequency. Guaranteed.

ROFL! Pure gold!

Thanks to Fellman's water change, My confidence is sky high! I was able to go to the bar, order 3 drinks instead of 2, which allowed me to talk to the hot bartender much longer. Now she knows more about my life, and she's interested in me. Were going out next Friday!

Thanks Scott!

:::double thumbs up:::

kingator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROFL! Pure gold!

Thanks to Fellman's water change, My confidence is sky high! I was able to go to the bar, order 3 drinks instead of 2, which allowed me to talk to the hot bartender much longer. Now she knows more about my life, and she's interested in me. Were going out next Friday!

Thanks Scott!

lol love that lololol thx o fellman

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ROFL! Pure gold!

Thanks Scott!

Hey, anything to help a fellow human being...That's how I roll, dude...Told you that the results were guaranteed! :nod:

-Scott

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back