10 Way to be a more empowered reefer each day...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Occasionally, I feel like the "Oprah" of the reef keeping world, and am compelled to dispense quasi nonsensical advice to you with an air of seemingly undisputed authority...Today is such a day, and you'll have to indulge me with this one. Tomorrow we can talk about Trachyphyllia care, cleaning your skimmer, or something far more practical. However, today is the day after a huge weekend sale, so I'm in more of a philosophical mood, and we'll all just have to deal with it, okay?

I was thinking that, as reefers, we engage in a lot of everyday "rituals" and such that make us better, stronger, more intelligent hobbyists. However, occasionally, we lose our way and are looking for a track to run on, some ideas to deploy. In that vein, I give you ten compelling ways to become more empowered as a reefer each and every day. As usual, you can, and should contribute to this list. It's Spring, and besides being about taxes, it's about renewal...So, lets see if we can invigorate your hobby experience with this stuff...Here goes:

Make a “To Do” list of weekly reefing tasks and follow it- Yeah, seems simple, right? However, if you make an easy to follow list of tasks- and actually get to a few of them throughout the week, not only will you’ll feel a sense of accomplishment about having gotten them done, you’ll see great results in your reef! And, you’ll be able to really ascertain what is necessary for YOUR reef from what “the books” tell you to do. It will create a more personalized, effective reef keeping “practice” for you, trust me. You'll know that the things that you are doing with your reef are correct for it...a truly "customized" experience, as it should be.

Collate inspiration- If you’re trying to create the most unique display ever, you’ll probably need a bit of inspiration! So, why not scour the ‘net for cool inspiration in the form of pics, article, etc., and collate it all in one place for easy reference? You can organize by categories, such as aquascaping, inspirational tanks, natural reef shots, corals, articles on coral care, etc. OMG- I think I’m describing Pinterest! Well, bottom line is that this site seems the least nonsensical of the “social media” to me, simply because you’re just collecting stuff and putting it in one place for reference, although I’m sure that there must be some lame feature that makes this site annoying. You could just make a folder on your desktop and store downloads and pics there…good enough. So, put those inspiring ideas somewhere useful, ok?

013.jpg

Put those ideas on your "wall."

Check out your tank early in the morning- Like I really have to tell you this? Well, yeah, I should at least remind you to do this. In our daily lives, we tend to cram so much stuff into our days that it can get too hectic to check out our reefs the way they should be. Often times, looking at your reef first thing, before the lights come on, can yield some information and valuable clues about the direction of your tank. You’ll see creatures that you won’t see when the lights are on. You’ll be able to inspect corals and other internal features of the tank without fishes swimming all over and colonies fully open, giving you a better opportunity to evaluate flow, noise levels, and other attributes of your reef that become utterly lost when everything is up and running. Plus, if you do discover a problem, you have a chance to get it BEFORE you head out for the day. WARNING: I’ve started my day this way, working on a “quick tweak” to my rock work, and ended up calling in sick, spending the whole day re-scaping the tank. Yup. And you have, too.

Man-in-bed-reaching-for-a-009.jpg

Good morning! Time to check your phosphate levels!

Try feeding your fishes something new- Yeah, the old cliche about variety being the spice of life is extremely applicable to reefing. Trying new foods is important for several reasons. First, you will get a chance to evaluate the acceptability and usefulness of various brands. Trying different foods does simulate a natural environment a bit more closely, in that, on any given day, fishes will “find what they find” in nature, depending on numerous factors. So, you could argue that selecting a variety of new foods creates a more natural situation for fishes. Besides, there are certain foods out there that contain more protein, more substances that stimulate better color in fishes, disease recovery, etc. And, when you’re “weaning” new arrivals into their new life in captivity, it’s important to try as many foods as possible to stimulate feeding.

Take notes- Yup, paper and pen, or Ipad and finger, are some of the greatest inventions ever for reef keepers! Record your daily reefing observations. Not only is it useful, as it can help you establish a “baseline” of your tanks normal operations, animal behaviors, and overall status, it will help you look back on what is “normal” for your reef, so that one day, when something isn’t looking right, you’ll be able to turn to your notes and realize that the big Acro colony was NOT extending polyps every time you dosed _______, or that colors in your corals usually intensified three days after you does amino acids. Useful stuff. And, you might just be able to accumulate enough material to write a blog or article- or even a book, to really help other reefers! Yeah…

Study- What? No, really- take a few minutes every day to study some aspect of reef keeping. Weather it’s water chemistry, coral compatibility, how a calk stirrer works, or how to feed NPS corals, you’ll become a better reefer simply by knowing more. Not only will you learn some things that can help you acquire more knowledge and skill, you’ll be in a better position to help others. If you see that “everyone” is preaching about doing a certain thing one way, and you’re actually getting crazy good results by doing just the contrary, shouldn’t everyone know about it? Yeah, studying and sharing are totally fundamental practices that will help propel you- and the hobby- further!

buried-in-books.jpg

You CAN absorb more than 140 characters..I KNOW you can!

Ask a question- Yup, you heard me. Go on a forum, blog, website, etc., and ask a question about a topic that has you baffled. Not only will you find that other reefers probably are just as confused as you are about the same topic, you’ll probably end up making some friends in the process. Whaoh, wait a second…I know, I know, you’re thinking “Fellman is asking me to make friends with other reefers and sing songs around the campfire…sheesh.” No, you still have my permission to be antisocial and avoid being pals with everyone- don’t worry. What I am suggesting is that you might find a few reefers who have a common interest, and whom you can occasionally run by a question or idea for comment. You can still engage in antisocial, curmudgeonly behavior in other aspects of your reefing life, not to worry.

Eat in front of your reef- I dare you. You need to prove to yourself- and your family- that you can engage in “normal” life activities while enjoying your aquarium. You know, like talking to your spouse and children. The real trick is to enjoy your deep discussion (and grilled chicken breast with balsamic reduction and steamed baby Bok Choy) WITHOUT reaching for the tank tongs or adjusting the lighting intensity on your LEDs, or some other “necessary” task. Can you do it? If you can, you’ll really be proving to your family that a reef can ENHANCE your lifestyle, not take it over. See if you’re up to the challenge.

Food-on-white-plate.jpg

Stuff your face...and interact with family, too.. In front of the aquarium...Woah! crazy concept.

Share a pic- Even if you’re no professional photographer, a picture is truly worth a thousand words, or some nonsense like that. If we accept what all of the self-appointed social media “experts” that have emerged from every nook and cranny tell us, sharing is super easy and will help us in other areas of our lives. We’re not talking about taking “selfies” of you and your favorite Montipora. That’s just weird. However, everyone likes seeing a good FTS. Besides, these same “experts” tell us that people can only absorb 140 characters of information (apparently, human culture and the brain have devolved to this point in the last decade), so just blow off “Twitter” and post a pic of your fave coral or fish instead. Let others enjoy and comment on it. Feel involved and cool. For extra credit, you could write things like “#awesome acro” or “#myreef is the bomb” or other ridiculous, “searchable” crap with your pic that will help more people find it. No, actually. that’s stupid. Just put up a freaking pic and be done with the whole project. I’m just sayin’…

Visit the LFS and spend some money there- Yeah, you heard me. The LFS is the coolest institution in the hobby. Cooler than online vendors, way cooler than forums. You can actually support a business that you can touch, see, feel, smell. You can support a hobby institution that has tangible, broad-reaching impact. When you support a local fish store, not only are you getting the “instant gratification” that the inter webs cannot provide, you’re helping foster the very culture of reef keeping. The LFS is the reefkeeping equivalent of the “watering hole” on the African Serengeti Plain, sans predators, drought, and Water Buffalo stampedes. It’s a place to get inspired, see something new, try out products that you’ve never seen before, and to interact on a real, tangible level with other members of the “tribe.” Long live the LFS!

okaukeujo-waterhole-etosh2__large.jpg

Hanging with the "homies..."

Okay, so this was a bit esoteric today, but I think you get the idea. Each day is a chance to try something new that can help you become a more “empowered” reefer, engaged, enlightened, and invigorated. If you’ve noticed, a lot of my suggestions involve not only interacting with your reef, but interacting with other reefers. It’s important, meaningful, and will serve to make you a better, more well-rounded reefer. Sharing and exchanging ideas has never been easier, and it’s a vital part of perpetuating and enhancing our awesome hobby. So, despite my constant reminders to boycott most of the ludicrous “social media”, it’s never a bad idea to reach out to a fellow reefer now and again.

In the end, the hobby is about more than just keeping corals and fishes, and playing with expensive equipment. It’s about building skills, relationships, and contributing to a body of knowledge that is larger than ourselves.

Like everything I throw up here, I’m open to suggestions, so let’s hear your ideas for becoming a more empowered, powerful reefer..

As always, enjoy your day, your hobby, and each other. And don’t forget-

Stay Wet.

Scaott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott, you esoterica is just fine with me my friend and fully agree with your genuine pitch to support our LFS's. They truly are the 'Heart-n-Soul' of our wonderful hobby.

At the risk of offending a few of your peers why not on your next topic/rant go into 'What make a good and or believable Spokesman to our industry ???' there certainly some like yourself that are 'not full of themselves' have the hobby/livestock's best interest front and center and then there are those that.... well.... I'd never sit down or even stand up and listen to.... for a multitude of reasons.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Scott, you esoterica is just fine with me my friend and fully agree with your genuine pitch to support our LFS's. They truly are the 'Heart-n-Soul' of our wonderful hobby.

At the risk of offending a few of your peers why not on your next topic/rant go into 'What make a good and or believable Spokesman to our industry ???' there certainly some like yourself that are 'not full of themselves' have the hobby/livestock's best interest front and center and then there are those that.... well.... I'd never sit down or even stand up and listen to.... for a multitude of reasons.

Cheers, Todd

Hmm, i'm totally full of myself...it's all about me...so I guess that cinches it. No spokesperson role for me... :(

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, visit the LFS watering hole...just don't get eaten by the quick-sale crocs!

I'm checking on my tank constantly. Even while I'm enjoying it, there's a sharp eye out for signs of trouble.

goodtimes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank is in the dining room where we eat breakfast in the morning (the kids eat, I give the tank a quick check over while guzzling my coffee). After school everyone is back at the table doing homework. Then we all meet back for dinner in front of the tank. It is nice! I spend hours a day enjoying the tank and I also get to call it family time.

I try to support as many LFS as I can. The problem is their prices are so darn high. I have promised myself to only buy fish locally. So that business will always go to the LFS. But I buy/trade nearly all my corals with fellow hobbyist.

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love having my aquariums, both salt and fresh, out where everyone can enjoy them (even while doing other things!)

dmorrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could not agree more with number 10 visit your lfs. I run a live fish, and became a reef keeper because of the help my lfs gave me. Lfs are becoming a dying breed anymore, as most people now shop online and from basment run opperations. It's always nice going down and hanging out and talking fish looking at stuff. It's where you find those odd ball fish/ corals you never thought to own until you saw them in person.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great write up!! My tanks are in the basement near the exercise equipment...can't eat there...but I try to put the rest into practice. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 70 79.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.8%
Back