Dull.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At Unique Corals, as well as at every coral vendor in the industry, we spend hours and hours sourcing, acclimating, nurturing, and curating a selection of the most attractive, interesting corals for our customers. It’s part of the game, right? Everyone wants the coolest, most amazing corals available. If they didn’t, we’d just be putting up a whole lot of…what?

“Uh, oh, Fellman is shooting himself in the foot again; he’s going to talk about something that’s going to give his own industry a kick in the rear…?”

Maybe. Maybe not. Well, yeah. Probably.

I thought it might be fun to take a break today from ripping on some hobby institution to play a little game of “Rag on the industry AND hobby…?” Woah. A "two for one." In this case, what are the most, well…boring- corals available today? I mean, what are corals that, although they may be great, are just not all that exciting? Remember, “dull” does not mean “bad.” It just means…dull. Well, pull up a glass of warm milk and get comfy, and we’ll try to keep you awake today.

“Radioactive” Zoanthid- Okay, on first glance, it’s about as characterless as a coral can be, right? It has all the trappings of a real snoozer: Monochromatic color, predictable morphology, and massive availability. I mean, you can get this morph just about anywhere corals are sold, and possibly, even in places where they aren’t (I mean, Wal-Mart could probably carry this one). It’s a predictably dull morph. In fact, I’d hazard a guess and suggest that this morph seems least likely to mutate among any of the other zoo morphs we keep in the hobby. I mean, it’s green…And it might mutate to…light green (I’m just sayin’). Nonetheless, this proud, but unexciting stalwart deserves our respect, as it does serve as the “launch pad” for many into the world of “Z’s and P’s.” It can be a nice prolific "contrast" piece in a mixed collection, and is super hardy. Then again, it’s pretty boring…

IMG_9864radioactivezoos3quartersinch8.JPGUC.jpg

Don't let the name fool you. It's not cool. "Radioactive" means "avoid!"

Pom Pom Xenia- What?! I know, it’s an institution. A right of passage for many hobbyists. Their first coral, and one that is elegant, prolific, hardy, and…well…dull. I mean, let’s be honest. This is the "Toyota Prius of corals": A model for sustainability. I mean, who’s dumb enough to purchase a wild Xenia? Who ADMITS to it, anyways? And, like the Prius, it’s…boring as heck. Exactly. Could you personally leave it off any list of the most boring corals? I suspect not. Sure, it pulses, and that entertains the kiddies for a while. How entertaining is the pulsing when it starts smothering everything else in your reef? Oh sure, some “experts” can’t keep the darned stuff alive- but is that a real problem? There MUST be a reason why there is no “Steve Tyree LE Xenia” out there. And, when you finally get tired of the “putty grey” color, it’s not the easiest thing to eradicate. Fortuantely, our hobby initiates hundreds of hapless newbies monthly who would be thrilled to have this pulsing pallor in their tanks…until their puppy love crush wears off, of course.

UC2andhalfinch-xenia-48.jpg

"Gimme a "D!" Gimme a "U!". Gimme an "L!" Gimme another "L!" What's it spell? XENIA!"

Montipora undata- Okay, I sell a lot of this stuff each month, and I wonder why? I mean, the genus Montipora is filled with some interesting corals…this one just doesn’t happen to be one of ‘em, IMHO. It starts with it’s OD Green coloration, and barely contrasting polyps. And it’s…an encrusting growth form. That’s fancy science talk for “it grows as quickly- and interestingly- as a mountain range.” Yeah, you’ll see a lot of them in reef tanks…I mean, you’ll see them. You won't care. Is it overstating the obvious that your reef tank isn’t going to get much notice for housing this coral? Yeah, it is. I mean, maybe it serves as a “buffer zone” for stands of more interesting corals in your reef. I dunno. I have to ask why it sells so well? Shh, don’t question this, Fellman. You’ll stifle sales!” No, I’ll stifle a yawn.

UC3inch-monti-undata-mari-78.jpg

It's no "Jedi Mind Trick." It's just a boring coral.

Clove Polyp - Yes, I’m ripping on the humble Clavularia…Not the “Papaya” morph or the “Neon Green Center” morph, mind you. Those are cool. I’m ripping on the dull-colored “pink” (Really? That’s not pink, guys!) morph that still makes its appearance at LFS and online vendor sites around the world. Why? Sure, it’s easy to keep. Sure, it’s a coral. Sure, it’s prolific. But I just don’t get it. And most of it’s actually wild collected, which begs the question…why? We call this industry “box filler”, as you occasionally have to take “x” amount of dull to get the two or three killer pieces you ordered. The “upside” as its proponents would proffer: It’s easy to keep. I ask you why do so-called “easy” corals have to be so darn frumpy looking? This coral is what happens when you start with the colorless aesthetic of Pulsing Xenia and then delete any potentially redeeming characteristic from it (at least Xenia pulses, for goodness sake). If you’re looking to create an area on your reef that you’d rather not leave bare, but don’t want to call any attention to, either, this could be your coral. Then again. You may just want to pull out some rock instead…

Cualustrea- Yup- the “Trumpet” has been blown too much, IMHO. And I’m not attacking the cool “Toxic Green” ones. I’m talking about that dull “peach colored” (that’s a real stretch) version. It looked great under Actinics in the 1980's. I mean, its morphology gives it some points that make it somewhat less boring, but it doesn’t exactly get your blood pumping. To the untrained eye it’s oddly reminiscent of one of those ugly little mushrooms you yank out of your vegetable garden every day, right? To its credit, it’s reasonably hardy, and readily available, but even if it weren’t, there is little this coral offers that would discourage a “meh” from visitors to your reef. Oh, sure, it’s a testimony to the diversity of nature, blah, blah…In my book, it’s a testimony to our industry’s ability to sell anything called a “coral”…well done, guys, well done.

Duncanopsammia- Yikes! He’s dissing a favorite! Yeah, I am. Okay, don’t get me wrong, some morphs of the “Whisker Coral”, as it’s known, are pretty. But some of the ones I see are just kind of…dull. I mean, sure, they were a big deal about 6 years ago, and being from Australia, they are typically collected by responsible outfits with a focus on sustainability. However, let’s be honest with ourselves. They are painfully boring. But, boredom is often the price of our sustainability, isn’t it? This coral doesn’t just look plain, IMHO. It’s plain dull. Please do read the book by it’s cover…Many of the varieties don’t “develop” into more colorful specimens. They start dull and end dull, so choose carefully!

Duncan-2.jpg

Call it what you want to. I call it...dull.

Palythoa grandis- Well, we don’t call this ultra-big, brown and white Paly “The Big Ugly” for nothing. Okay, it IS a bit unusual, and it IS not all that common (good start..), but it really is kind of dull. By some accounts, it’s THE Palythoa to have. It’s an “antihero”- a bland statement in a sea of “named” morphs, and you can tell your snobby “Z and P” friends that you have a relatively rare coral in your midst that doesn’t have a stupid name attached to it. You’ll get respect, but at no point will you be named the wild one in your posse, trust me.

UC3quarterinch-palythoa-grandis-24.jpg

It may be so dull that it's sorta cool. Nah.

Okay, okay, I could go on all day ruining sales, but, with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. I’m sure you could add dozens more corals to this list. Dozens. I didn’t really even touch on Acros, did I? Oh, I’ll have to have at them another time. And seriously, every coral in reality is precious. The fact that, twenty something years into the “modern” reefing era that I can even think of penning a piece on “boring” corals is quite remarkable. With external pressures threatening the natural reefs daily, we do need to treasure some of these “dull” corals. We need to treasure ALL corals.

But then again, these are soooo boring…

Okay, please add to this list if you’re in the mood. Otherwise, just buy more coral. There, I redeemed myself to my industry.

I’m such a sellout…

Until next time: Stay engaged, stay focused…

And Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals.

Last edited:

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you've seen too many corals in your day :)

I happen to like 'Radioactive' Zoas. Yeah, they are common, but can add 'glow' to a tank.

I really don't like the neon all-green Caulastrea, but I like the 'normal' Caulastrea (green centers and white stripes on a tan polyp).

Agreed on Duncans. 7 years ago I thought they were cool in my tank...for about a month.

Another one is 'Kenya Tree'...which is a bit bland, but at least it can have a pleasing growth form while you watch it try to overtake your tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad to see you writing again!

manueldm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read as always. Agree on all points except one.

Gonna have to disagree on the Duncans. Think I got lucky and got one with very long tentacles. Is there a Duncan morph that has long tentacles? Who knows. It started out just like the picture in your post but over time has grown long fat tentacles. Love it's movement in the current. I like to think of it as an anemone without the hassle. :rolleyes: It was the first coral I purchased for my tank so I guess I'm kind of sentimental about it too.
uploadfromtaptalk1398274513456.jpg

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read as always. Agree on all points except one.

Gonna have to disagree on the Duncans. Think I got lucky and got one with very long tentacles. Is there a Duncan morph that has long tentacles? Who knows. It started out just like the picture in your post but over time has grown long fat tentacles. Love it's movement in the current. I like to think of it as an anemone without the hassle. :rolleyes: It was the first coral I purchased for my tank so I guess I'm kind of sentimental about it too.
uploadfromtaptalk1398274513456.jpg

Okay, so you had a cool morph of a dull coral :tongue:

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all relative. You see the world of Coral from a pretty unique vantage point Scott.

nikesb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the undata to be one of the cooler monti's out there, hence added it to my order from you guys :becky:. I'm happy to take another frag of undata away from you! Agree on all other points though!

Scubanj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh. This newbie has five of the seven dullest corals in his tank!! Now I'm questioning every decision I've ever made. Next you're going to tell me my acid wash jeans are out of style! :)

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh oh. This newbie has five of the seven dullest corals in his tank!! Now I'm questioning every decision I've ever made. Next you're going to tell me my acid wash jeans are out of style! :)

No way, acid wash jeans never go out of style...LOL

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the undata to be one of the cooler monti's out there, hence added it to my order from you guys :becky:. I'm happy to take another frag of undata away from you! Agree on all other points though!

To be honest, the pic I used for the undata was actually pretty good...But I'll stand by my position, simply on principle..:loco:

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree and disagree. While many of these "blah" looking specimens don't hold a candle to the mesmerizing morphs of chalices, acros, and latest $500 per frag pieces, I'd much rather look at a tank of mature colonies of duncans, various Xenia, and zooanthids, rather than a tank full of thousands of dollars of colored dots. Just my opinion.

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbinaria.... thats my very humble little Ol me opinion.... ofcourse I would be happy though to have it in my reef and be able to keep it alive.... but meh... in terms of color and stuff

Reef_Obsessed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I have the radioactive zoas, Cualustrea, greenstars, a kenya tree (4 of the labelled dull on here by someone) and I love them all...sure, who wouldn't love and want to own those $100/piece frag, but some of us have to settle for less...

DecanoLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree and disagree. While many of these "blah" looking specimens don't hold a candle to the mesmerizing morphs of chalices, acros, and latest $500 per frag pieces, I'd much rather look at a tank of mature colonies of duncans, various Xenia, and zooanthids, rather than a tank full of thousands of dollars of colored dots. Just my opinion.

^^^ Exactly !!!!

It seems I dont really understand what you mean by "dull". Does it mean "without color" (pale)? or common? or cheap? Or are you just tired of looking at them...

I think any tank full of mature home-grown colonies is awsome, regardless of the specific corals it has. Undatas can be meh when the colors are faded but I think they are really sweet when properly colored up...And bigger colonies are really striking, the same holds for Duncans, I like when they sway in the current... Those green zoas? the only reason why ppl dont like them is that they are very common and mostly green... Paly grandis are a bit dull in color, I'll give you that one. Trumpet corals, look nice as a big colony (the neon ones just look weird). Xenias are super cool swaying in the current or pulsing, though I would be carefull and give them room to grow... Oh, and GSP someone mentioned, there is that super bright variety that is super cool!

I guess all the "dull" corals are also the "cheap" or common ones... must be a coincidence...ha!
Scott: lets also see a list of corals that you find exciting !!!

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like where this is going.

Those specimens might just be as conscientious, sustainable, responsible and unpretentious as it gets.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back