From trend to mainstay..A look back at the "Modern" era of reef keeping..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 30-something years in the hobby, you see a lot of trends come and go. Fads and “new†ideas show up and then vanish back into the mists of time. Some of these “fads†do stick around a while, yet many quickly disappear after we move on to the next big thing. Some even evolve to other trends...

You need only look back in recent reef hobby “history†to see examples of what I mean: Crazy big protein skimmers and multi-chambered calcium reactors were all the rage just a couple of years ago..The more complex and expensive (or at least so it seemed), the better. Now, it seems like everyone is about backing off on skimming and is dosing two part solutions, a marked change form years past. LED lighting is no longer a fad- it's here to stay, as is computer monitoring and control of our systems.

A few years back in livestock, the Chalice was off the hook! If you had one, it didn’t matter how ugly it was…you were the coolest thing this side of ORA! People were downright proud of the big bucks they dropped on microchips of “designer Chalices.†Much has been written about that topic, so I’ll leave it at that. Then came the Acanthastrea, and suddenly, we were into a whole new coral phase, with a similar madness…inflated prices, photo saturation, and trendy names! This one stuck around a lot longer (and with good reason in my opinion, at least these corals are generally attractive!)

Sitting around one night, I was looking at the new equipment I’ve been accumulating for a new system I’m going to be assembling soon, and I thought about some major trends and fads from over the years to see what impact they had on the hobby- How they impacted us and…for that matter…how they actually stuck around. Two items came to mind right away.

The “Wet-Dry†Trickle Filter

Where would the hobby be without this invention? Originally derived from sewage treatment technology, the “wet-dry†trickle filter worked very well, and when entrepreneur George Smit unveiled it in America in 1986, a virtual revolution occurred. Suddenly, interest in the marine hobby skyrocketed. It was like a brand new ball game, literally. Because of the wonderful biological processing capabilities of the trickle filter, it became possible to maintain very high water quality and keep live corals and invertebrates with success never before enjoyed by earlier generations of hobbyists.

As so often happens when things get “trendy†and a quick buck can be made, all sorts of people got into the “trickle filter business.†Suddenly, anyone with access to acrylic, glue, and one of Albert Theil’s books was a player in the hobby. If you look back in a magazine…say, FAMA from 1987-88, there were literally dozens of “filter manufacturers,†ranging from guys in their garages to some pretty large companies that saw a good thing and hopped on the wet-dry train! Each one was out there promising optimum performance and results from their filter. Interestingly enough, almost none of these smaller guys are around today, with a few notable exceptions.

lg_trick.jpg

A classic trickle filter by one of my fave manufacturers, LifeReef!

And of course, the folks who made plastic biomedia were having a field day! Just about anything, from extruded plastic noodles to hair curlers (“Mom, do you have any…? “ was a refrain often heard at my house when I was a kid) were employed as “trickle filter media†. You could actually judge how cool a hobbyist was by what kind of biomedia he was using in his trickle filter–I’m serious! Dupla Bio Balls were the high-end products of their day. Your friends would literally drive to your house to see your trickle filter full of blue bioballs (OK…don’t even go there…I know a few of you are feasting on the innuendo..). It was very serious back then, but absolutely hysterical to look back on now.

images.jpeg

Behold the Bioball...The key to the "Modern Reefkeeping Era!"

Trickle filters for reef systems hung on well into the 90s, and are still used today in freshwater systems and…for that matter… in some marine systems, too.

The biggest downfall was the resulting accumulation of nitrate that occurred in trickle-filtered aquariums. So efficient at removing ammonia and nitrite, trickle filters fell short on fostering bacteria that consumed nitrate. Once the “Berlin†movement came around in the 90s, people began yanking their biomedia, and suddenly the concept of the “sump†was born. The “filter†in the traditional sense had morphed into a reservoir that served as the nucleus of your water processing system: The “filterâ€, er…sump, as it came to be called…now contained your protein skimmer (in many cases), reactors for various chemical media, and even macroalgae in a lighted section. This configuration is still the gold standard to this day. It’s safe to say that the trickle filter never really died…it just–evolved. Good technology changing with the knowledge of the times.

royal-exclusiv-dreambox-sump-6.jpg

The evolution of the trickle filter...

Sandbeds

Talk about controversy! There were many serious disagreements among hobby “experts†and main-street hobbyists alike about the merits of sand in the aquarium. Full-on, knock-down drag-out fights occurred on the message boards, in the hobby media, and simply between hobbyists in person! In the early days of the so-called “Berlin†method, it was agreed that you wouldn’t use sand in the aquarium, You were adding copious amounts of kalkwasser for topoff, which was to maintain alkalinity and calcium levels. Sand was less relevant. “Cleanliness†and alkalinity/calcium replenishment were considered a very high priotity. Eventually, Berlin subscribers decided that their tanks were lacking something–SAND! So back in to the tank the sand went. Suddenly, interest in living sandbeds and the beneficial creatures that lived and worked there exploded. Thanks to the work of authors like John Tullock, Ron Schimek and others, sand was not just stuff that you threw on the bottom of the tank. It was an adjunct to your filter system…a biological compliment to your tank…a whole “ecosystemâ€, really.

Interest in sandbeds grew, and it was discovered that biological processes were taking place in deep sandbeds that assisted in the processing of nitrate and other substances that could degrade water quality. Then came the plenum, a man-made “assist†to the biological process. It was discovered that if you set one up right, you could create a “void†space that would really help the sandbed function even better. Man assisting nature! However, the plenum never really caught on that well, and users of the plenum swore by it, while detractors claimed all sorts of tank disasters could be attributed to it–in fact, the detractors of plenums also led to a backlash against all sorts of sandbeds.

dsb.JPG

OMG- SAND! A biological time bomb? In some paranoid circles, maybe it was.

Suddenly, hobby forums were filled with hateful jabs. Hobbyists claimed that deep sand beds (with plenums or otherwise) caused their tanks to “crash,†corals to wither away, their sex life to evaporate, the economy to fall apart, etc. Like, everything bad was attributed to them. People with poor husbandry skills had a whipping boy in the DSB, and popular support on forums...Some geniuses decided that keeping your tank bare of sand and near laboratory-sterile was the ticket and that anything else was...stupid! This was the ONLY way! In fact, it was advised that you use “cutting board†(Starboard) at the bottom of your tank for both aesthetics and practical purposes rather than evil sand. Cutting board. Sheesh. You needed to keep detritus in suspension…Detritus = BAD! According to some bare-bottom fanatics, detritus caused the Vietnam War, AIDS, Global Warming, the rise of Al Queda, etc.

Besides, the ocean bottom is filled with cutting boards, right?

The war against detritus was on! Powerful pumps were employed to keep it in suspension, and aquariums that looked like lab experiments were the thing. I distinctly remember the furor a hobbyist caused on the message board when he used BLACK starboard–â€OMG- where do I get this stuff!†was a common refrain. Nice!!! Had we gone mad? Cutting board was an aquascaping statement? This was the lowest point in modern reefkeeping, IMHO. A dark cloud settled upon the reefkeeping world.

There was earnest advice to “cook†your rock by scrubbing it into nothingness, swishing it in water, and banishing it to an unlighted container for weeks and weeks, until it emerged bleached and dead, and allegedly “nutrient free†(maybe because you annihilated everything? Maybe?) Nutrients were bad…sterility was good! You were actually looked down upon for having sand in your tank, because, according to proponents of bare bottom systems, it was only a matter of time before the stuff accumulating in your sand bed would sink your system. Sterility ruled. “Hyper husbandry†(a sort of paranoid, extreme form of the “Berlin method†) was created. To this day, people get on me when I criticize this, and I am probably forever exposing myself to the wrath and hatred of the rigid, die hard adherists to this “methodology,†but I’m okay with that..I’ve been around the block a few times–I can take it! Besides, it’s funny to me. More appalling, really, than the misapplied blame ascribed to sand beds was the attitudes that came with the supporters of the "hyper husbandry" movement.

As time went by, hobbyists seemed to get bored of looking at tanks without sand, at cutting boards sitting at the bottom, and driving their protein skimmers to produce useless watery clear skimmate (another “methodology†that supposedly helped achieve higher water quality). Someone set up a beautiful tank with sand posted pictures of it on the message boards and all was forgiven. Water changes and regular attention to husbandry and natural biological processes, rather than “ultra-sterilization†and paranoia became cool again. Sanity began to return. It was once again okay to have sand in your tank, although some of the barebottom folks still admonished you to watch for the signs of the apocalypse. It wasn’t a matter of “if,†it was a matter of “when!â€

spsreef.jpg

Barebottom and beautiful...with a valid reason!

To this day, bare bottom aquariums are abundant, but the owners seem far less dogmatic and arrogant than they were back in the day, citing a much more plausible and logical reason for forgoing the substrate: They keep stony corals that require obscene amounts of flow, and they are tired of sand blowing all over them! Thank you! Hey, I can buy that. Many beautiful tanks have been set up bare bottom for just this reason and the owners don’t preach doom to those hobbyists that still like sand! W’re okay with a little nitrate and even phosphate, because it helps feed our corals…Crazy.

You can feel the love.

It’s very interesting to look at the rise, fall, and evolution of aquarium trends. I hope this little rant has provoked you to think a bit about how we have evolved in the hobby and about how much more we have to learn. By looking at the past, we can hopefully create a brighter future for ourselves and the aimals we cherish. Who knows what the next “revolution†in reefkeeping will be and if it will evolve into a hobby mainstay–or not! Will it be something from the past recycled, or something wonderful and new that we never thought of before?

Ponder that.

Till next time,

Stay wet

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

jreece11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great points Scott, as usual. When I started a couple years ago I read a couple books with about five years between publishing dates and the difference was obvious. This hobby bends to trends like any other.

Current ridiculous trend/madness: zoas & palys. Seriously, it's out of control and I'm disappointed that our hobby is not producing more diverse coral tanks that look like real reefs because of this trend. The fish don't interact with zoas like they do a mature acro, digi, or some LPS corals. It reminds me of teenagers finding things that glow in a blacklight. I see too many posts of "getting rid of my LPS and SPS because they take up too much room, will trade for high end zoas." To each their own, but I was more proud of us as a group when we were producing more natural diverse reefs and propagating coral that could build real reef structure.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, another great rant and will be fun to follow Scott. With three plus decades in this hobby I'm laughing right along side you my friend. I know that my mature natural looking mixed reef with a sand bed and host of fish will be back in the 'Now' some time in the future yet again. I'm sure that this current 'Reef as Art' fad will phase out like most other 'Flavor of the Month' trends have in the past. Then the heated debates on 'Why would one have a Frag Tank or sterile QT or disguised as their 'Display Tank' supposed to be 'Natural Looking' right ??? Or for that matter the 'Avatar' like lighting schemes, passe.... done..... so yesterday....lol

Cheers, Todd

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that this current 'Reef as Art' fad will phase out like most other 'Flavor of the Month' trends have in the past.

Man, let's hope not. I love the direction that tank design has been going in the past couple years. One man's "natural" is another man's "messy". :)

Edit: As I quote you, I realize that it is beautifully ironic that it is Comic Sans.

Last edited:

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the "trends" that I find bothersome is this online name game. Sure that "amphetamine acro" (or whatever the name may be) might be very nice. But how is it worth 40x more than another beautiful acro? It goes much farther than acro, and I'm not limiting it to that. But $800+ for a booger frag? I can buy 10 nice sized colonies for that kind of cash! It kinda goes with what you were saying about the chalice craze. I remember back in early 2000's when it was "acan Lord" and they were fetching top dollar for any kind of acan lord. Well some are still fetching top dollar if they have the right name. I personally couldn't care less what name it has or what vendor it came from.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, let's hope not. I love the direction that tank design has been going in the past couple years. One man's "natural" is another man's "messy". :)

Edit: As I quote you, I realize that it is beautifully ironic that it is Comic Sans.

Yes, contrary to some peeps beliefs I try not to take myself to seriously.... by 'Art' I did not necessarily mean 'Fine Art' though, I really like some of 'Impressionist Artists' painting and or sculptures but they did not leave their tools of the trade stuck to the pieces.... paint brushes, knifes and torches would ruin the pieces just as frag plugs, egg crate or Star board do in 'Reef Art'. I do appreciate the 'Minimalist' look of a few pieces of select LR in a shallow sand bed with some very well placed 'Ultra' Corals and a few striking Fish with little to no sign of any man-made intrusions. For me, even the largest most expensive Reef Tanks with the best equipment money can buy full of thousands of dollars in livestock is COMPLETELY RUINED by a single black plastic ORA frag plug or just a few std. ceramic or agra-crete plugs. Some I've seen with many dozens of them and still ogled over.... even TOTM considerations........... I know 'to each their own' but YUK! this is not 'Art' my book. The Bare-Bottom system pictured above looks very nice probably even great while sitting down where you cannot notice the very unnatural flat bottom....lol

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the "trends" that I find bothersome is this online name game. Sure that "amphetamine acro" (or whatever the name may be) might be very nice. But how is it worth 40x more than another beautiful acro? It goes much farther than acro, and I'm not limiting it to that. But $800+ for a booger frag? I can buy 10 nice sized colonies for that kind of cash! It kinda goes with what you were saying about the chalice craze. I remember back in early 2000's when it was "acan Lord" and they were fetching top dollar for any kind of acan lord. Well some are still fetching top dollar if they have the right name. I personally couldn't care less what name it has or what vendor it came from.

I think one thing that never goes out of style is simply that a hobbyist will purchase the coral that he or she likes- regardless of "name..." If something has a "designer name" attached to it, it really shouldn't matter, but it kind of does to a lot of people. An ugly (or attractive) coral sinks or swims on it's own merit. Reminds me of the designer jeans craze back in the 1980's, when the only differentiating factor in a pair of jeans was the design and name on the pocket...Weird time for fashion. Similarly for coral, I think that's really the bottom line when you compare two corals of the same type, one of which has the fancy name. . In the end, it's all about what YOU like!

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, contrary to some peeps beliefs I try not to take myself to seriously.... by 'Art' I did not necessarily mean 'Fine Art' though, I really like some of 'Impressionist Artists' painting and or sculptures but they did not leave their tools of the trade stuck to the pieces.... paint brushes, knifes and torches would ruin the pieces just as frag plugs, egg crate or Star board do in 'Reef Art'. I do appreciate the 'Minimalist' look of a few pieces of select LR in a shallow sand bed with some very well placed 'Ultra' Corals and a few striking Fish with little to no sign of any man-made intrusions. For me, even the largest most expensive Reef Tanks with the best equipment money can buy full of thousands of dollars in livestock is COMPLETELY RUINED by a single black plastic ORA frag plug or just a few std. ceramic or agra-crete plugs. Some I've seen with many dozens of them and still ogled over.... even TOTM considerations........... I know 'to each their own' but YUK! this is not 'Art' my book. The Bare-Bottom system pictured above looks very nice probably even great while sitting down where you cannot notice the very unnatural flat bottom....lol

Cheers, Todd

I'm sort of in the middle, in terms of style (bare bottom vs "natural"). I think there is a compromise between the two, and "natural" shouldn't mean "messy"! I think it's about taking any methodology and injecting one's own sense of aesthetic and style. My little FW tank in my office is more of a "hardscape" with a strong adhesion to a natural, organic aesthetic, and I'm really liking it...Something I've been plying with on saltwater tanks for some time. All fun.

Scott

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a personal observation, but I saw a huge increase of inflated prices right after the purple purple eater hit the market. Prices before that were fairly similar from what I witnessed. I had never seen "price per polyp" before this.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wonder where bio-plastics will fall in the come-n-go trend line. I wish there were some truly independent "consumer digest" type forums and/or testing capability out there.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a personal observation, but I saw a huge increase of inflated prices right after the purple purple eater hit the market. Prices before that were fairly similar from what I witnessed. I had never seen "price per polyp" before this.

I agree that this is a relatively recent trend..I hate the "price per eye" on chalices, and never liked the "price per polyp" idea. In some instances, such as Palys and zoos, I think ti makes sense, but simply because it lets the hobbyist purchase exactly how much he or she wants/can afford of something. I think ti's abused in the single polyp/uber high price sector. Ohh no...here I goo...But the absolute absurdity of paying hundreds of dollars for (literally) a fraction of an inch frag of ANYTHING is just distasteful. Apart from ethical and economical arguments, how the heck can ANYONE enjoy a quarter inch or half inch Acropora or Echinophyllia? Is it so important to "have" the trendy piece that we throw out all common sense? I dunno...And please don't use the "precious stone" argument...these are living creatures and there is little equivalence in my opinion...

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wonder where bio-plastics will fall in the come-n-go trend line. I wish there were some truly independent "consumer digest" type forums and/or testing capability out there.

If you're referring to biopellets as a carbon source then I think its here to stay. I see the introduction of carbon dosing as a breakthrough more than just a trend. I believe it to be more of an LED type of situation and it will evolve to become more effective. It may change from a pellet to some other form, who knows what it could turn into.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that this is a relatively recent trend..I hate the "price per eye" on chalices, and never liked the "price per polyp" idea. In some instances, such as Palys and zoos, I think ti makes sense, but simply because it lets the hobbyist purchase exactly how much he or she wants/can afford of something. I think ti's abused in the single polyp/uber high price sector. Ohh no...here I goo...But the absolute absurdity of paying hundreds of dollars for (literally) a fraction of an inch frag of ANYTHING is just distasteful. Apart from ethical and economical arguments, how the heck can ANYONE enjoy a quarter inch or half inch Acropora or Echinophyllia? Is it so important to "have" the trendy piece that we throw out all common sense? I dunno...And please don't use the "precious stone" argument...these are living creatures and there is little equivalence in my opinion...

What I have noticed about these "high end" coral bits that sell at an extreme price is that their days are limited. As the hobbyists grow out colonies and sell frags the price eventually corrects itself. But then again, in 5 years it will be the "super amphetamine acro" that's fetching the inflated price. I don't mind waiting 5 years to get my hands on that insanely colored coral at a decent price. I guess in a way I encourage people to buy these ultra high end pieces so that I may eventually have one.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I have noticed about these "high end" coral bits that sell at an extreme price is that their days are limited. As the hobbyists grow out colonies and sell frags the price eventually corrects itself. But then again, in 5 years it will be the "super amphetamine acro" that's fetching the inflated price. I don't mind waiting 5 years to get my hands on that insanely colored coral at a decent price. I guess in a way I encourage people to buy these ultra high end pieces so that I may eventually have one.

Excellent point! "making lemonade from lemons, for sure!"

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I recollect, the first 'Berlin' systems in Europe used small coral rubble, not sand. When the system came to the USA, that's when the 'bare bottom' trend started since we used coral sand (instead of rubble) and it swirled around too much in the high flow environment.

When I ran out of Bio-balls' I used some of my son's small plastic toys...

Before Bio-balls I was using multiple Lava Rock rubble and sand trays stacked on top of each other fed by a canister filter.

Before that I used a HOB packed with ceramic rings-things...

Before that I learned how to make fire and use a bow-and-arrow ;)

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does nobody get economics? Demand drives price and free markets always keep prices in check based on supply and demand. If i want to sell a frag for $1million dollars and i get a buyer for that, right on for me and the person who bought it because they got something, to them, that was valued greater than $1million.
However, if i cant sell if for that, i can drop it to a cool $.5 million and may get my asking price! At the price i may get 2 persons interested which, increased demand, means the price goes up!
I hope that brings some clarity to corals and price.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 47 33.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back