That "thing you do..." A little "Reef Yoga" for Monday

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Monday, it's summer. And it feels good.

The nights are short and the breeze is fragrant, the water at my local beaches is warm, and there's just something in the air. I'm slowly getting my writing groove back...And I'm in a philosophical mood today.

Uh-Oh.

After a certain number of years in the reef keeping game, it seems as if you develop, in addition to an ever-growing collection of corals, tanks, salt-encrusted equipment, and “stuff”, a certain “je ne sais quoi” - an intrinsic knowledge, a “sixth sense”, or even a swagger, if you will, about your corals. Am I right here? I mean, after you’ve collected, kept, fragged- and yeah, unfortunately- killed- your fair share of ‘em, you kinda just “know” when things are going well, and when something is terribly amiss with your collection. It’s a skill- or perhaps- a blessing- or even a “curse” that we afflicted reefers acquire during our tenure in the reef keeping hobby..

1inch-cool-unknown-echinophyllia-frag-58.jpg

Healthy? Unhealthy? You can tell, huh? You just can.

You know exactly what I’m talking about, don’t you? Yeah…You’ve developed that crazy ability to look beyond the obvious when observing your reef, and being able to quickly ascertain what’s join on in there. You can tell at a glance that your favorite Acro is just not behaving right, or that your prized Euphyllia is about to go south. Perhaps it’s a result of that new salt mix you just switched to, or that change you made to your lighting program. Maybe, it’s a result of postponing your regular water change. Regardless of what it is, you have the ability to sense something is not right.

After dealing with- no- obsessing with- corals for a few years, you certainly develop a personal “baseline” for your animals, and when something is “not right”, it’s immediately apparent to you. And the interesting thing is that this ability comes to EVERYONE who keeps corals…It’s not a skill reserved for the privileged few or the occasionally “gifted” reefer…No- it’s a skill that we DEVELOP over time based on observing and adjusting…and enduring” the trials, tribulations, and triumphs of a reef tank. For that matter, you have the ability to know when your tank is just...ripping! Just "on", with everything looking great and in the peak of health. You don't need a test kit...you can tell.

450efded32f7ffabe155482d30855a42.jpg

When it's on...it's obvious to you, isn't it?

Sure, you can read all about corals and their care on line, in a book, or in a magazine, but the ultimate skill comes from practicing reef keeping. In other words, the hobby really separates the “talkers” from the “doers” without doubt or prejudice. You know because you’re a reefer. And if you don’t know, you’ll learn if you stay in the game. You’ll encounter pests, equipment failures, diseases, bad results resulting from bad decisions. You’ll also learn from the great decisions that you’ve made; from the hunch that you played about moving that Lobo over a few inches to the right. From the time that you passed on adding that Acan to your system, or from the brilliant decision to change out that old heater that was sticking in the “on” position.

No matter how large or how small your tank is…No matter what type of methodology you embrace, the longer you stay in the game, the more you’ll develop this skill as long as you practice reefkeepoing. The funny thing is, even though it makes sense that, yeah- the longer you do something, the better you get at it- this doesn’t always apply to reef keeping. Some people can recognize that something is amiss, but they fail to interpret it or do something about it.

You’ll develop the sense I’m talking about almost from day one in the hobby. However, what separates the “talented” reef keeper from the masses who simply keep reef tanks is that the reefer with talent knows what to do with this innate sense. He or she knows that, if something is not right, they need to make this or that adjustment- or even do nothing at all. They know this because they practice reef keeping, discuss reeefkeeping, and well- live, eat, drink, sleep reef keeping. It becomes not just a hobby, but a lifestyle. They have an attachment to their reefs much the way a dog or cat owner has that attachment to their beloved pet. It’s way beyond just a hobby- it becomes part of a lifestyle.

Yeah, to some people, it’s not only part of their lifestyle, but a dominant factor in their existence, affecting all sorts of other decisions, such as relationships, travel, home buying decisions, and economic goals. Sometimes, it’s not a healthy thing, either. I’ve known reefers whose relationships failed, finances collapsed, and lifestyles negatively affected because they were more in tune with their reefs than they were with the other realities of life. I mean, yeah, those are extreme cases with perhaps other types of dysfunction present, but the signs of reef keeping's affects on our lives-good and bad- are everywhere for almost all of us, if you think about it.

When was the last time you decided NOT to install that new piece of equipment before you left on the family vacation, because you were afraid of the possibility that it could fail when you were out of town? Or, perhaps you passed on a social engagement because you were doing a major overhaul to your aquascaping. Or maybe, you didn’t get that new dishwasher you really needed because it was more important at the time to get the new LED system for your reef…Subtle decisions that can have greater impact down the line, or even collectively- possibly leading your life into unexpected new directions as a result. Sure, these are extreme interpretations, but there are unintended consequences- booth good and bad- to being a hardcore reefer. The difference is about how you let it affect you and the rest of your life, I think.

man-contemplating-eternity.jpg

Reefkeeping is part of your life, but it should just be "part" of your life...

On the good side, many people have developed lifelong friendships as a result of their hobby. Some have went on to start companies that affected the industry and hobby. Still others went on to share their experiences with others by writing or speaking. Rewarding turns that have enriched lives greatly- not only for the reefer- but for the other reefers he or she came into contact with as a result of their mutual love for the hobby.

The intriguing thing about this hobby is just how addicting or engaging it can be. How all-encompassing and satisfying it is. I can honestly say that I don’t think I’ve ever met a person who “dabbles” with reefkeeping. They’re either hooked on reefkeeping, or they keep African Cichlids or something. Why is that? Well, I think that part of the reason is that once you try a reef tank, you just “get it”, and your interest and passion blossom from there. Reef keeping offers stimulation and challenges that few other areas of the aquarium hobby can.

Dakkang-Reef-3.jpg

For us, it's reefs.

Those of us who are hardcore reefers are basically in it for life. Sure, there might be a year or two where circumstances keep us out of the game for a bit, but we never fully disengage. I know a lot of reefers who had awesome tanks, and then for one reason or another, got out for a while…However, when they got back into it- and they ALWAYS did- they would tell me things like, “Yeah, I always followed the forums and read the magazines and stuff..” It just never really gets out of your system.

This “thing” that we do- this hobby, pastime- obsession…whatever you wan to call it, seems to encompass every emotion and experience you can have in life, doesn’t it? Pleasure, pain, happiness, sorrow, frustration, a sense of individuality, as well as a sense of belonging- they’re all there.

When did YOU know that you had that “thing” for reefing? Was it a gradual transition from other aquatic interests, or was it this thing that just hit you one day? Did you start on your own, or did someone else get you hooked? How long did it take to get hooked on this hobby? What kind of impact does reef keeping have on the rest of your life?

Lennart-Nilsson-100.jpg

For some of us, it started earlier than others...

Interesting questions to ponder, aren’t they?

A little “reef yoga” to kick off the week.

Make it a good one. Make it count. And above all…

Stay Wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

Last edited:

dss190

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had really gotten into Cichlids when my friend starting keeping them. I remember seeing his Oscar and Jack Dempsey, and thought they were the coolest. Then a couple years later I started keeping my own. One day I walked into a fish store I had never been too and saw live coral and they had a little nano tank set up in the front, and the rest is history, I was hooked.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had really gotten into Cichlids when my friend starting keeping them. I remember seeing his Oscar and Jack Dempsey, and thought they were the coolest. Then a couple years later I started keeping my own. One day I walked into a fish store I had never been too and saw live coral and they had a little nano tank set up in the front, and the rest is history, I was hooked.

Sometimes, it just takes seeing that one killer tank, and "that's all she wrote..."

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know...it just kind of developed. Just wish it could have been going better so far. :/ I obviously AM hooked, though, because otherwise I would have given it up already. Well, hooked or just stubborn, lol...

Last edited:

exonn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was like 16 years old when i saw a reef tank for the first time and since then i always dreamed about it. It took me 12 years before i could have my own reef. That was a dream come true. Am in this hobby only 2 years and still have lots of things to learn. Finaly i have started my 150 g tanks (its about 10 month old now). Its still not perfect, and the colors are still off, but am on my way and i believe i'll have my dream reef soon :)

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too started this hobby when I was about 15. Originally wanted a dog but my parents decided a saltwater aquarium would be easier. Lol! They were wrong. I've been in and out a few times but you are so right...... You always come back. Luckily now though, my wife keeps this hobbies negative impacts on normal life to a minimum :). You know what I mean. Lol!

Josm315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple of freshwater community tanks in my childhood, but for ~14 years I went without touching an aquarium. It wasn't until I had taken a job out of my field of study, and became utterly unchallenged by the task that I started researching hobbies. After reviewing the possibilities, I started a small shell-dwelling cichlid tank. It went well and they still remain entertaining, but less than a month after establishing it I began looking into saltwater. With little to spend I really wanted a frugal challenge, a pico jar tank. Things went well, and it's still up and thriving a year later.

It was only 2 months after establishing the jar that the addiction reaaaally took hold, when I started cycling rock in a bin for a 1333% volume upgrade. 5 months after setting up the pico I had the 20g long up and running. Every day I'm thinking of a new coral or new equipment/tank upgrade. I've really got the bug. :) I wish I had started big from the beginning, but then I wouldn't have had this short, crazy, but fantastic journey up to now.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know...it just kind of developed. Just wish it could have been going better so far. :/ I obviously AM hooked, though, because otherwise I would have given it up already. Well, hooked or just stubborn, lol...

Stubborn is a good trait in reef keeping to a certain point, anyways! LOL
-Scott

Last edited:
OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was like 16 years old when i saw a reef tank for the first time and since then i always dreamed about it. It took me 12 years before i could have my own reef. That was a dream come true. Am in this hobby only 2 years and still have lots of things to learn. Finaly i have started my 150 g tanks (its about 10 month old now). Its still not perfect, and the colors are still off, but am on my way and i believe i'll have my dream reef soon :)

I have no doubt that you will...And the learning? It never, ever stops.

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too started this hobby when I was about 15. Originally wanted a dog but my parents decided a saltwater aquarium would be easier. Lol! They were wrong. I've been in and out a few times but you are so right...... You always come back. Luckily now though, my wife keeps this hobbies negative impacts on normal life to a minimum :). You know what I mean. Lol!

Ahh, so you can truly put this one on your parents...I feel so "therapist-like", LOL.

-Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple of freshwater community tanks in my childhood, but for ~14 years I went without touching an aquarium. It wasn't until I had taken a job out of my field of study, and became utterly unchallenged by the task that I started researching hobbies. After reviewing the possibilities, I started a small shell-dwelling cichlid tank. It went well and they still remain entertaining, but less than a month after establishing it I began looking into saltwater. With little to spend I really wanted a frugal challenge, a pico jar tank. Things went well, and it's still up and thriving a year later.

It was only 2 months after establishing the jar that the addiction reaaaally took hold, when I started cycling rock in a bin for a 1333% volume upgrade. 5 months after setting up the pico I had the 20g long up and running. Every day I'm thinking of a new coral or new equipment/tank upgrade. I've really got the bug. :) I wish I had started big from the beginning, but then I wouldn't have had this short, crazy, but fantastic journey up to now.

Gotta love your journey at all phases...And the ease of water changes for a lemonade dispenser reef is just sheer genius, man...

-Scott

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic Scott, and for me it was meeting Martin Moe Jr 3+ decades ago at a private conference discussing some of the 'New' concepts in Marine Aquaria coming out of Europe at that time. Things like Live Rock covered in Corals and Macro algae with only water movement as you base biological filtration instead of DEAD CORAL skeletons and under-gravel filter plates. I had already been at the FW scene 'Big Time' in importing and breeding S.A. Dwarf Chiclids and Discus plus the above mentioned dead coral Marine Aquariums for a few years at that point. So.... that March day back in 1982 when I came home with an instant 15g Akvastabil glass aquarium setup in a Berlin/Jaubert style Reeftank I WAS HOOKED !!! Like many 'Old Salts' I have taken a little time off now and then as 'Life' sometimes gets in our way but all in all have never ventured far.

Cheers, Todd

sirreal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is so true. A friend of mine had a 10g over 10g fresh water tanks and I just loved looking at it. One day I helped him move a 150g fresh water tank into his house and he said take the 2 10s for helping him. In a matter of a year I was so hooked on aquariums i had 14 55g tank set up in my house."I was single" this went on for about another year when I thought I knew it all and was ready for salt water. I killed that system in a couple months. "No RODI" but I was hooked on salt water and reefs. Bought a RODI and away I went. Sold off all the fresh water tank and have had at least one reef "or 5" ever since and this all started in 1996. I couldnt agree more about just looking at the corals and tank and knowing something is wrong and most of the time knowing whats wrong. Even when its not your tank.

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the whole "I started with one small tank..." thing...LOL. Such a common thread among reefers!

-Scott

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stubborn is a good trait in reef keeping to a certain point, anyways! LOL
-Scott
Mom always told me that if I directed it the right way, it could be very helpful, lol!

My first tank was a 29g freshwater...which very quickly turned into a 50...and so on...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%

Back