Reefing for "them"- or for yourself?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, this is like "Part II" of my last diatribe, but I needed to get this off my chest, okay?

“Authenticity.â€

We hear that term bandied about in many things- Fashion, media, material goods. It sounds pretty cool- pretty important- to intimate that something is “authentic.†On the other hand, if something is NOT “authenticâ€, does that mean that it’s “phony†or contrived? Is a “You Tube Personality†any less “authentic†a celebrity than say, a Tom Cruz or Katie Holmes? Is Kim Khardassian less “authentic†because she’s the daughter of someone famous, or can it be argued that she’s “famous†on her own merit? Does anyone really care?

Unknown.jpeg

I'm "authentic", aren't I?

Are the “ice dunk†challenges that we see all over Facebook to raise money for charity less “authentic†because people are garnering a certain amount of notoriety for themselves, or is it just a way to encourage people to donate money to a very worthy cause in a rather fun manner? Would it be more “authentic†to simply quietly right a check to the charity in question, and encourage friends to do the same? Are these “challenges†somehow pandering to the dumbed-down social media masses, or simply a wonderful manifestation of our generosity as a species?

And who is the “judge†of “authenticâ€, anyways?

I bring this subject up because, lately, I’ve been having lots of discussions with reefers who tell me about their searches for the “real†“XYZ Acropora’ or “%^&*^&* Chaliceâ€, and that it’s important to have the “real†one. Okay…I also hear from reefers following such-and-such a new husbandry regimen because “(insert favorite famous reefer here) runs his tank that way and will be talking about it at MACNA.†And I think to myself, “The reefer who’s bringing this up has a great tank already. Why does he need to mimic that other guy?â€

UC3quarterinch-SpaceInvaders- Pectinia-148.jpg

Is it the "real" Space Invaders Pectinia? Do you care? Should you?

Who IS the mysterious “Guardian of Authentic†for the reef hobby, and why does this person (or persons) seem to have so much influence on what reefers do?

Okay, so just because “someone†says something is the “authentic†coral means that it’s somehow automatically better than the other one that looks awesome and doesn’t have a name attached to it? I know we’ve talked about this topic ad nauseum on this forum before, but the topic keeps popping up in our “culture.â€

Look, I think it’s great that people seek the “real deal†coral because they love the way it looks, or has other attributes that make it a great coral to keep. However, when it’s accompanied with an attitude that implies somehow the “named†coral is somehow superior to the “generic†equivalent (that sounds ridiculous, doesn’t it?), and that owning said coral gives you instant “street credâ€,it is a bit troubling. Why?

UC1inch-uc-rainbow-millie-78-inventory-8.jpg

Is it better because it has a name? Haven't we gotten beyond that?

Well, because, as they say in advertising, that “cool†can be bought, regardless of your level of experience, husbandry skill, or even appreciation for the needs of the animal in question. We’ve all seen examples over the years of (let’s be honest) incompetent reefers who have every gadget, use every popular “system†to maintain their reef, and acquire every “named†coral available, in a feeble attempt to “buy†acceptance from their peers.

And their tanks still suck.

article-2558257-1B724AE600000578-617_964x554.jpg

A well-equipped system without results is just..a well-equipped system...

The sad reality that these people don’t understand is, that as reefers- we all love this stuff, and are remarkably accepting of almost everyone’s sincere effort to enjoy their hobby the way they want to. No one is judging - and if they are, it shouldn’t matter. Don’t apologize for running your reef the way YOU want to, even if it’s “not exactly†the way “they†say it should be run. There is no need to conform to someone else's standards of “coolâ€, or to gain approval of “themâ€, whoever “they†are. It sounds nuts, but I literally hear this “apologetic†attitude all of the time, and I hate that we feel that we “must†pander to everyone else in order to be considered a “successful†reefer. Every hobbyist can learn something useful from every other hobbyist. Thats a fact. Something can always serve as an example of what NOT to do, right? So, nothing is ever wasted in the reef keeping universe.

The takeaway from all of this isn’t about us being judgmental, or negative. It’s about being ourselves.

Jury2.jpg

It's your hobby. You're not on trial, right? Enjoy it!

Every day, little victories are won by ordinary every-day reefers like you and I, who set up amazing tanks and accomplish things with them that provide them and their family with hours of pleasure. That’s what it’s all about. In fact, that’s the ONLY thing that this is about.

Dovetailing on my blog last week, what I think the reef world needs is simply for you, me- all of us- to be ourselves; march to our own drummers, and to share our experiences. Not in a dogmatic way, mind you- but in the spirit of sharing hard-won knowledge, for the benefit of all. Sure, our efforts may make our aquariums “aspirational†for someone, but they should not be presented to others with an attitude of undisputed authority, nor with the aforementioned apologetic attitude. It’s far more important for us to do things the way we believe they should be done, consistent with humane, acceptable standards of animal husbandry. You don’t “need†to do something a certainway just because someone tells you that theirs is the best way, or that it’s the hot new trend.

The best discoveries and breakthroughs come from people who do things because they want to.

That’s being “authentic.â€

Enough said. Enjoy your day, and your reef…

And stay wet.

Scott Fellman
Unique Corals

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said Scott! I tell a lot of people this too. Too many times people are wrapped up on the price of a coral and having other people tell them what's nice rather than buying pieces based upon what they like. People need to focus more on what they like versus trying to collect pieces just to impress everyone else. At the end of the day, it's your tank, not someone else.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never really considered the question of authenticity in regards to reefing practices, so this is an interesting read. Other than from perhaps a historical perspective, I couldn't really care less if my methods are 'authentic' in regards to Eng, Shimek, Sprung, Stueber...or Feldman ;), although I certainly respect those who have made contributions to the reef keeping hobby. What's important to me is are my methods 'successful' in regards to the health and well-being of the organisms I've taken responsibility for? Are the methods sustainable over the long term? Are the methods energy efficient? Are they easy enough to allow me to enjoy the hobby for many, many years to come?

As far as corals go, I think there are legitimate reasons to look for an 'authentic' type, but it shouldn't be for bragging rights. For example, having a 'Red Planet' from ORA (or direct lineage) let's one know what they can expect and what conditions other people have used to successfully keep this coral. If the 'Red Planet' is not of ORA lineage, then a certain amount of uncertainty is introduced (different species? different colors? different conditions required for optimum health and coloration?) which may, or may not, be acceptable to people.

Most of my corals came fom either a '10-pack', $10 LFS frag bin, vendor corals that caught my eye or from generous reefers. Providing good care for nice 'no name' corals will often produce some wonderful specimens over time...lousy care for even the best 'named' corals will produce a blob of brown goo.

Last edited:

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Effin AMEN

People warned me about this part of the reef hobby when I left the cichlid breeding scene. I'm just starting to really catch a glimpse of it and I can see what folks were talking about.

All in all, I just keep my head down, try to get better and enjoy my ghetto $10 sps frags until my skills are worthy of buying $100 sps frags

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the great write up.

This is why I think the "real deal game" has gotten out of hand.. Not every coral colony is taken whole out of the ocean, Most of the time it is fragged and not the whole coral comes out of the ocean. So the next diver comes around and frags of the same colonies that now has this great name and another vender gets it what now?? Is it really not legit or what? There are WAY to many colonies in the ocean to even know what coral is what. Yes giving a coral a name is perfectly fine because it helps reefers find the coral they are looking for instead of saying blue green acan. just my .02

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the great write up.

This is why I think the "real deal game" has gotten out of hand.. Not every coral colony is taken whole out of the ocean, Most of the time it is fragged and not the whole coral comes out of the ocean. So the next diver comes around and frags of the same colonies that now has this great name and another vender gets it what now?? Is it really not legit or what? There are WAY to many colonies in the ocean to even know what coral is what. Yes giving a coral a name is perfectly fine because it helps reefers find the coral they are looking for instead of saying blue green acan. just my .02

Very good points...I just have a real problem getting my head around the whole "original" thing, as all of these morphs (well, I'm sure there are a few aquarium-developed mutations or strange variants) of coral started on the wild reefs, and were picked out of a box by a human who gave them the name...Nothing wrong with the names, as we've discussed many times- but a big problem when it comes to satisfying some enthusiasts, i suppose.

-Scott

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kaboom!!
As always the coral advocate.
Now can I have a UC "Bali Shortcake" please??
I missed the first round.

Or..................... just frag me a authentic KK :boink:

Last edited:

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kaboom!!
As always the coral advocate.
Now can I have a UC "Bali Shortcake" please??
I missed the first round.

Or..................... just frag me a authentic KK :boink:

You missed out man... Love my piece, even has blue tips. :)

14736515337_96c2cc662a_b.jpg

14736470628_d2a3c241d6_b.jpg

You should also pick up the rainbow milli if they have any left
14736426910_3f1e45e521_b.jpg

14900106386_d7b33c74d4_b.jpg

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, you heard the man..............!!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, you heard the man..............!!

LOl, we've got a few left..and they are looking great. We'll have more of both soon, as we're growing a bunch out to salable size. The "Bali Shortcake" is proving to be really resilient and popular...and you can call it whatever you want. Nature "made" it- the only "authentic" one is the species known as Acropora latistella. Period. LOL

-Scott

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOl, we've got a few left..and they are looking great. We'll have more of both soon, as we're growing a bunch out to salable size. The "Bali Shortcake" is proving to be really resilient and popular...and you can call it whatever you want. Nature "made" it- the only "authentic" one is the species known as Acropora latistella. Period. LOL

-Scott

If it ends up in my tank it will be called "Diesel coral #89"
Just the beauty and privilege to have and grow corals will be in this life for my a enjoyment.
Pm coming your way, my friend.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-Scott

Nice talking to you today, Scott and just talking corals we just came up on a future topic for your talking point write-up........... how crazy is that?!?
Will look forward to next week.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back